Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

2 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:
2 hours ago, saintnextlifetime said:
What's that Triumph Herald doing on the right . .B)

Parked outside the train station.

I'm sure Hancock used that line. Actually the square used to be a car park. If you look closely you'll see it's the last in the line.

12 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Gilmour St

FB_IMG_1555930682390.jpeg.73c16bb3937f6e47f1afd796ad809808.jpeg

I wonder why people are queuing outside the Council buildings.

How appropriate the timing of this photo. On Thursday it will be 60 years since

Davie Lapsley stood on that balcony and held up the Scottish Cup to show the

hundreds including myself in County Square who celebrating our Scottish Cup

victory.

14 minutes ago, hamlet said:

How appropriate the timing of this photo. On Thursday it will be 60 years since

Davie Lapsley stood on that balcony and held up the Scottish Cup to show the

hundreds including myself in County Square who celebrating our Scottish Cup

victory.

Hundreds?

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:49 PM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Smithhills St looking towards Old Sneddon St. My great-uncle Jack Sweeney's furniture warehouse on the right.

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

and St.Mirren used to have a shop on the left side at some point. 

On 4/17/2019 at 6:49 PM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Smithhills St looking towards Old Sneddon St. My great-uncle Jack Sweeney's furniture warehouse on the right.

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

And an Auld Fiat 132 Gls outside sweeneys . That could well have belonged to my old boss at Lochfield Garage . Werent many around, especially in that colour.

7 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

And an Auld Fiat 132 Gls outside sweeneys . That could well have belonged to my old boss at Lochfield Garage . Werent many around, especially in that colour.

Back in those days it seemed that cars rotted away in front of your eyes in particular,  l recall FIAT having a reputation for that.  .

Certainly something that got handled at some point as cars don't rot the way they used to . .

The 1964 bus certainly looks pristine mind.  .aluminium made a difference.  .

2 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Gauze St looking towards Incle St, 1958.

The much loved East End Cafe is the 2nd last building on the right, the last is the Old Toll Bar aka Snoddy's, demolished in the early 70s to widen the road junction.

58378941_2244206962466298_5594490581473558528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=c14ba0611cd3c2e9f0241ea675d15e24&oe=5D34C16E

It's a pity that the photo wasn't taken at night then you might have seen the red light in the window above the cafe.  Er, if the picture was in colour that is.

On 4/22/2019 at 11:58 AM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Gilmour St

FB_IMG_1555930682390.jpeg.73c16bb3937f6e47f1afd796ad809808.jpeg

I wonder why people are queuing outside the Council buildings.

I can only recall one occasion when I went through that main entrance...as a kid who lived in Sir Michael Pl, every year we would go up to the big hooses in Castlehead and steal apples from their gardens - apples which, incidentally, would fall from the trees and left to rot.  Having stuffed our jouks with them we would make our way back home with the route taking us along the wall of the manse of the Castlehead Church.  All of a sudden the minister jumped out from behind a bush and grabbed me.  He took me in his car to the police station which was in the county buildings above.  The man of God told the polis what I had done and he left me there.  Sometime later the officer said to me, 'Away you go and don't do it again'. 

I wonder what the subject of his sermon  would have been on the following Sunday - 'If you sin forget about forgiveness just get the f**kin' polis'.

Seeing the County Square pictures made me think of the big map inside the glass case that used to be against the wall at the station end of the Post Office.

You pressed buttons along the bottom for the place you were looking for, and it would light up your destination on the map.

Did that thing really exist, or was it a dream I had one night?

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:13 PM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Cattle Market in Storie St. Now the Student Union and Paisley Centre car park.

FB_IMG_1555960269805.jpeg.2b4ffa5619e1190bead77bcaaa95f743.jpeg

As a youngster (in the late 60's) I used to go there on holiday Monday's with my father who would be taking mostly cattle for auction

I don't recall it quite like the photo (not sure I actually recall what it was like), but maybe the picture pre-dates the 60's and it may have been modified between times?

The building on Storie Street (camera side, right) must presumably be the public baths? I used to have the odd chuckle when the lorries (loaded with cattle) parked on Storie Street) would sometimes spray out pish and dung onto the poor souls waiting in queues to get into the Baths!! They did need a wash then!!

There was also a church close by, maybe even where the pic is taken from that my cousin was married in, some time in the 70's