Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

13 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

4 Moncrieff St 1947.

Now, I know a wee bit of Moncrieff St still exists (it's the wee stub of a road off Love St which allows access to the car park sitting between Love St and Back Sneddon St) but I just can't place this. The spire in the background might be the Oakshaw Trinity?

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

St.James Church.... possibly. (gas tank to the left of spire in your picture)

See the source image
Edited by pod

I thought that to the left of that kirk spire in the fotie, there was the outline of the gasworks - so considered it MIGHT be St James spire, but at street level on Google Earth. you can't see any spires from the current wee bit of Moncrieff Street.

So I went down to the current Glen Street and you CAN see the St James spire from there but it seems much further away than in the fotie.

Only G. Street view visual that gives a decent High Kirk view is from Back Sneddon - at the north side of the RBS car park.  That looks likely but what is that Gas-worksy shape to the spire's left?

11 minutes ago, antrin said:

I thought that to the left of that kirk spire in the fotie, there was the outline of the gasworks - so considered it MIGHT be St James spire, but at street level on Google Earth. you can't see any spires from the current wee bit of Moncrieff Street.

So I went down to the current Glen Street and you CAN see the St James spire from there but it seems much further away than in the fotie.

Only G. Street view visual that gives a decent High Kirk view is from Back Sneddon - at the north side of the RBS car park.  That looks likely but what is that Gas-worksy shape to the spire's left?

Did you have your glasses on. :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

Fake news.

The article has a quote from "the owner of the firm".

He said: “Opening a new store is always an exciting moment for the company and Paisley is no exception.

“The job provision that comes with the new store, especially with it being a new build, should be a great boost to the local area.”

20 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

The article has a quote from "the owner of the firm".

He said: “Opening a new store is always an exciting moment for the company and Paisley is no exception.

“The job provision that comes with the new store, especially with it being a new build, should be a great boost to the local area.”

Shopfitters are presently in store.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:08 PM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Strange to see Old Sneddon St with two-way traffic.

Pierotti's, Muir's and, just out of shot, Coghill's.

EBxGFGWXoAEiP8-?format=jpg%26name=large&key=1d6e9a79dfd1a9374e89efc1a9766a076d47be421c67e81106ce7e6a97795036

Pre- B&Q.  There used to be another ironmongers in New Street at the time.  

Edited by pod

4 hours ago, pod said:

Pre- B&Q.  There used to be another ironmongers in New Street at the time.  

There was also another large ironmongers in the west end at the junction of Broomlands and Castle Street, underneath that flat that always had a light on behind a big red blind in the window.  Was on seven nights a week!  Funny that?

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:50 PM, rabuddies said:

There was also another large ironmongers in the west end at the junction of Broomlands and Castle Street, underneath that flat that always had a light on behind a big red blind in the window.  Was on seven nights a week!  Funny that?

Archie Eaglesim (or Eaglesham).

49 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Abercorn Station with Abercorn St tenements in the background. Part of the platform still exists.

Image may contain: outdoor

I have no memory of that...  :unsure:

Where did that line run to?  Renfrew?  Had it split off from the Central Gilmour Street line earlier...

Ta for the pic, tho.

ETA:

Just looked at a Streetmap, and can see the sweep north from the above mentioned line.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=248511&y=664854&z=110&sv=abercorn+street&st=6&tl=Map+of+Abercorn+Street,+PA3&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

Edited by antrin

1 hour ago, cockles1987 said:

Even I seen a train run on that line. Was playing football on the grass pitch that was behind St Mirins academy many years ago.

Line ran from Gallowhill under Renfrew road behind Reid Kerr College......through Babcock's and under Inchinnan Road in Renfrew finishing at the shipyard's.

After the trains stops running through Babcock, the lines within the factory were used for moving stuff about from department to 

department.

Won my 1st claim against them for tripping over a line and doing my knee in which was handy, since I was going down to Bristol for our 

cup final against them the next day. Back seat of the car for myself and winning 2-0 made the pain go away   :lol: