Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

12 hours ago, antrin said:

And Love Street.  :)

What a photo, Antrim are you sure it is Love Street. Trying to trace my steps when I crossed the footbridge from

Abercorn Street to New Sneddon Street but it is all a bit near the top of the photo.

46 minutes ago, hamlet said:

What a photo, Antrim are you sure it is Love Street. Trying to trace my steps when I crossed the footbridge from

Abercorn Street to New Sneddon Street but it is all a bit near the top of the photo.

Looks like Love Street, Springbank Road and the factory opposite the auld grun in Love Street to me...  :unsure:

2 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Gone yerselvesish!

Just by Hartflield Farm, Glennifer Braes... Just beyond Peesweepish Lapwing Lodgeish.

I noticed you misspelled Gleniffer. This always brings out my pedant with my kids who say the word like Jennifer whereas I was brought up saying it the Paisley way with the stress on the second part of the word.

I have a theory  that all the non Paisley teachers at the new Camphill pronounced it the ‘Jennifer’ way and now I’ve lost the battle of the pronounciations. 

I noticed you misspelled Gleniffer. This always brings out my pedant with my kids who say the word like Jennifer whereas I was brought up saying it the Paisley way with the stress on the second part of the word.
I have a theory  that all the non Paisley teachers at the new Camphill pronounced it the ‘Jennifer’ way and now I’ve lost the battle of the pronounciations. 

My bad.
I shall atempt to retain that information.

Gleniffer as in differ!

Thank you.

Since I read this I've been having vague memories of people saying it that way when I was a kid. I might just start saying it the old way from now on just because...

Digressing a wee bit, so apologies, but I think it's a lost cause, like sorbet. Everyone thinks sorbet's a French word so pronounces it 'sorbay' but it's from the same Farsi word as sherbet and the ending should sound like sherbet.

Ta, Buddie!

happy days, my “auld hoose”and ye can still see the boolin green at the fit o Toonheid Terrace, (now beneath a Uni development), which SomeBuddie asked aboot a while back and I found an auld map with it showing...  :)

delving down a www wormhole from there, I encountered a little known Buddie, who grew up in the now demolished George Street tenements (before my time).  He was a hero who should be better acknowledged.

George Gibson

https://www.scottishhousingnews.com/article/our-housing-heritage-george-gibson-the-man-who-built-paisley

(Among many other places, he designed the great wee development in the picture)

16 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Corner of Canal St and Barr St

Image may contain: sky, plant, tree and outdoor

The shop where I got my Beezer (Mon), Dandy (Tue), Beano (Thu), Topper (Fri) and hunners o ither things...

Niice colouration,  though my memory of these buildings was GREY not pretty pink/red stones...

Definitely the tall building was VERY grey.

The shop where I got my Beezer (Mon), Dandy (Tue), Beano (Thu), Topper (Fri) and hunners o ither things...

Niice colouration,  though my memory of these buildings was GREY not pretty pink/red stones...
The Topper, that brought back some good memories.[emoji106]

Visited my Grandparents up the pend in Lady Lane on a Saturday before heading to watch the buds. Under the middle cushion of the suite would be my comic. [emoji16]

On 5/14/2020 at 4:52 PM, antrin said:

I think the photo was one of these colouration jobs where they had a B&W original photo then some person sat in a back room somewhere and coloured in the more attractive reddish colour (and blue sky) that appears more homely than sooty black / grey!

1 hour ago, The Original 59er said:

I think the photo was one of these colouration jobs where they had a B&W original photo then some person sat in a back room somewhere and coloured in the more attractive reddish colour (and blue sky) that appears more homely than sooty black / grey!

I agree.

Probably that backroom person possibly had knowledge of the "Rid Buildins" tenements - (now student flats) on George Street at the other end of Barr Street.  Lovely rid sandstone.

If you are a nerd... then many of the same grey stones from the demolished Wee Lady Lane/West Buchanan Street/Sir Michael Street/Barr Street hooses were sharpened up, re-dressed and re-used for the entrances and ground floor walls of the new houses that were erected in Barr Place, Sir Michael Place, West Buchanan Place...

Perhaps not a nerd, but (like me) someone really, deeply into orogenous zones...