Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

On 6/27/2020 at 7:57 AM, Fricky-Troll said:

This little gem goes all over Paisley - through town / Ferguslie / West end / Gelnburn / Linwood /Elderslie etc

Use link below from youtube enjoy emoji4.png

Cheers, Fricky.

Nice to see the Terminus at the junction of Glenfield Road and Caplethill Road. 

Great memories of being brought up in Glenfield Road.

Now I feel old......😉

On 7/3/2020 at 10:28 AM, The Original 59er said:

This may have been posted before - Canal Street in its hay day!

I like the idea of "Bovril repelling Influenza" and in this day of sensitivities, Paterson's Camp Coffee may only attract a certain clientele! :whistle

Paisley Canal St Station.jpg

Great picture brings back memories.  You mean Canal Street station on Causeyside street.

4 hours ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

Great picture brings back memories.  You mean Canal Street station on Causeyside street.

It’s Canal Station,not Canal Street station. 🚂🚃🚃

Edited by HSS

5 hours ago, HSS said:

Aye... the pic shows the widden Causeyside Street exit from the station.

the actual Canal Station, where Telfords (huh) now is...  is at the foot of Stow Brae, up and over Stow Brae from Canal Street.

(Although i always also called the station “Canal Street”, as I thought it WAS Officially called that in contrast to Paisley Gilmour Street.  I get the feeling that the STREET part of both those station names has been dropped by lazy, sloppy rail companies....?)

cannae be arsed trawling back to check, though....

15 hours ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

Of course, you are correct, I initially missed the word "station" then was corrected again when it was stated as Canal Station. 

The Canal link of course is also very relevant for Paisley as initially (as I understand it) the Canal was built to look after the interests of a couple of industrialists, but was never truly completed to Ardrossan. Then there was the disaster, basically as most folk couldn't swim and also their clothing will have hampered them.

There is a good Wikipedia article on the Canal: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow,_Paisley_and_Johnstone_Canal

image.jpeg

Paisley Canal.jpg

11 hours ago, HSS said:

5 hours ago, antrin said:

Aye... the pic shows the widden Causeyside Street exit from the station.

the actual Canal Station, where Telfords (huh) now is...  is at the foot of Stow Brae, up and over Stow Brae from Canal Street.

(Although i always also called the station “Canal Street”, as I thought it WAS Officially called that in contrast to Paisley Gilmour Street.  I get the feeling that the STREET part of both those station names has been dropped by lazy, sloppy rail companies....?)

cannae be arsed trawling back to check, though....

Yip. I always referred to it as, 'Canal St. Station'.

On 7/3/2020 at 10:28 AM, The Original 59er said:

This may have been posted before - Canal Street in its hay day!

I like the idea of "Bovril repelling Influenza" and in this day of sensitivities, Paterson's Camp Coffee may only attract a certain clientele! :whistle

Paisley Canal St Station.jpg

I wonder if Bovril would  have any impact on Corvid 19?:huh:

10 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

I wonder if Bovril would  have any impact on Corvid 19?:huh:

Maybe it's the new wonder cure that a certain President will promote next?.......... Actually, I suspect it might be better than one or two of the ideas he has already pushed! :hammer

37 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

Yip. I always referred to it as, 'Canal St. Station'.

Most folk do.Its like most people say St Mirren Brae,how often do you hear it called by it’s correct name of St Mirren St?

6 hours ago, antrin said:

Also...

....using the name Telford (presumably in honour of the great engineer) is at least as much of a stretch geographically - as the Famous bridge that he built is miles away from the station..

Telford oversaw the whole canal project.

He wasn't only involved in the River Cart aqueduct construction.

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9896

Some excellent pictures present and past of the canal. I've been walking past the Coats basin for the past few weeks and it's got a lot of aquatic birds living there. I think I saw some carp there too.

Edited by FTOF