Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

28 minutes ago, antrin said:

Have to ask...HSS..?

If google and streetmap didnae know naming details of this new development in Wallington (of all places!) how did you?  :unsure:

I sold some football programmes a few weeks ago and that was the buyers address.

8 hours ago, HSS said:

I thought it was Reading but it’s actually 35 miles away in Wallington.

Awright, smartypants...

You might be right about Thread Streets but Wallington's about 55 miles away fae Reading.  So... THERE!

I had a pal moved to Wallington - ex-flatmate in London - Stoke Supporter... who came to find me in the crowd expecting/knowing I'd be there at Fulham in the Anglo=Scottish Cup. :).

1977   A draw.

Good enough to ensure celebrations.  :)

6 minutes ago, antrin said:

Awright, smartypants...

You might be right about Thread Streets but Wallington's about 55 miles away fae Reading.  So... THERE!

I had a pal moved to Wallington - ex-flatmate in London - Stoke Supporter... who came to find me in the crowd expecting/knowing I'd be there at Fulham in the Anglo=Scottish Cup. :).

1977   A draw.

Good enough to ensure celebrations.  :)

I had Reading in my head because it was mainly Reading programmes.Are they the nearest “big” team to Wallington?

4 hours ago, HSS said:

I had Reading in my head because it was mainly Reading programmes.Are they the nearest “big” team to Wallington?

My straightforward answer to that was going to be, “Naw, Wallington”s in Souf London.  Crystal Palace is biggest, locally...”.... to that other Thread Street.

But I had a thought. Like an Alice going down the tunnel thought and looked at Streetmap. For Wallington.

There’s at least a dozen of them listed from Northumberland going south.

No Wallington in Berkshire (Reading), but.

On 9/19/2020 at 8:05 PM, Fricky-Troll said:

Orchy Crescent was literally across road at end of it ?

Nae it wisnae, the tenement I lived in was 4 Gryffe crescent and my living room windae looked alang Orchy Crescent right tae the end where it turned left intae Lyon road wi St Pauls school on the left haun side as ye walked from Gryffe Crescent alange Orchy intae Lyons and on tae Brediland road where ye got the bus.  If ye went right as ye got tae Lyon Road up the hill ye were in Findhorn Avenue, turn right at the tap and right again at the end intae Tweed Avenue on the way down the hill you come across Almond Crescent on yer left and a wee bit further , ma hoose oan the left and Orchy oan the right.  Lexwell venue was nearly two miles away from Orchy, if yae went tae the end of Almond Crescent and got tae what we used tae call the chain road (Dee Drive nowadays) and turned left up the hill and then right, there is now a street called Helmsdale Drive (private housing , I think) there used tae be a row of tenements in that street which was a straight line and not wavy lie it is now and the tenements were all on the left side so they overlooked the Red Rock Canyon, ..................................ah Happy days

On 9/23/2020 at 5:35 PM, Slarti said:

OK, Paisley USED TO BE the only place in the UK with a Thread Street. emoji38.png

Well we must be the only town with the following references to the trade that made the town:

Lawn Street

Silk Street

Thread Street

Cotton Street

Gauze Street

Any I have missed?

8 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

Well we must be the only town with the following references to the trade that made the town:

Lawn Street

Silk Street

Thread Street

Cotton Street

Gauze Street

Any I have missed?

Incle St which is also a reference to the garment trade. An incle is a ribbon.