Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

It is a pity I was a wee bit on the young side when this happened, but it has a pretty good line up for 16/6d in the mid 60's. That is just over £11.00 in value now, and when you think that any concert now charges £40 up to £100+ it puts it into perspective! :o:hammer

Paisley Ice Rink Concert.jpg

5 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

It is a pity I was a wee bit on the young side when this happened, but it has a pretty good line up for 16/6d in the mid 60's. That is just over £11.00 in value now, and when you think that any concert now charges £40 up to £100+ it puts it into perspective! :o:hammer

Paisley Ice Rink Concert.jpg

naw... don’t remember that one....

Went to gigs in the ice rink...  never a great vibe. Cool (obviously) but a bit distant.

the one stand out one was The Merseybeats.

Brilliant. fun.   Utterly memorable..  :)

Edited by antrin

11 hours ago, antrin said:

naw... don’t remember that one....

Went to gigs in the ice rink...  never a great vibe. Cool (obviously) but a bit distant.

the one stand out one was The Merseybeats.

Brilliant. fun.   Utterly memorable..  :)

The only group there I don't recognise are "The Emeralds".

Wikipedia tells me this: In 1963, Roy Daniels (vocals), Richard Taylor (lead guitar), Alan Elkins (2nd lead guitar), Roger Charles (bass) and Brian Allen (drums) formed the group "Emeralds" which was renamed to "Wishful Thinking" from 1965 onwards.

That suggests that the concert was around 1963, or 64!

14 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

Where on earth was this in Feggie Park?.................. and what was it?

Ferguslie Park Paisley.jpg

That belonged to the Coats family it was later turned into a hospital, it sat in the area we called the Privies (private land) the wooded area behind St Fergus Chapel... I used too play in that building when it lay derelict as a young lad..

54 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

The only group there I don't recognise are "The Emeralds".

Wikipedia tells me this: In 1963, Roy Daniels (vocals), Richard Taylor (lead guitar), Alan Elkins (2nd lead guitar), Roger Charles (bass) and Brian Allen (drums) formed the group "Emeralds" which was renamed to "Wishful Thinking" from 1965 onwards.

That suggests that the concert was around 1963, or 64!

1968 according to this.................  

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/mikes-musical-trip-down-memory-2850219.amp

8 minutes ago, HSS said:

It was 68. Me and my mum were at the Airport the following day to pick up a family member , and The Who were sitting at a round table in the wee cafe beside us . My mum was beside herself  😎

Wow!

THIS has taken me down a time-tunnel...

The Merseybeats gig was the first in a few ice-rink shows, as seen here.

ALL the support bands were  locals that we’d see in Toon Hall, Templar’s, Church Halls “topping” the bill on a Saturday. In fact, they’d be playing all night...

http://www.45worlds.com/live/venue/paisley-ice-rink

since then I’d always thought that The Mavericks were spelled Mavericks, and I’ve been wrong all these years. Mavericks, apparently...

which was confirmed by this following site which has amazing pictures of local bands and some quite famous, but playing locally as they grew up...

some of you might even spot yer Maw at the Templars...

19 minutes ago, antrin said:

Wow!

THIS has taken me down a time-tunnel...

The Merseybeats gig was the first in a few ice-rink shows, as seen here.

ALL the support bands were  locals that we’d see in Toon Hall, Templar’s, Church Halls “topping” the bill on a Saturday. In fact, they’d be playing all night...

since then I’d always thought that The Mavericks were spelled Mavericks, and I’ve been wrong all these years. Mavericks, apparently...

which was confirmed by this following site which has amazing pictures of local bands and some quite famous, but playing locally as they grew up...

some of you might even spot yer Maw at the Templars...

Eh?

Then there’s this demo record.  Benjamin Day.  Recorded 1966.

I’d not even heard of this record.

(I’ve just seen an old PDE report suggesting JohnByrne also had a hand in writing this - but the label gives him no credit...
http://www.redstone-tech.com/gerry_bsb/paisley/jun24.htm

see para “vocal fusion”)

Egan and Rafferty both played in the Mavericks.  I only learnt that, this afternoon.  Wow.

best organised, (almost professional) local band.  Stuck to wearing suits and looking smart for an awfy long time...

Edited by antrin

1 minute ago, Slarti said:
6 hours ago, antrin said:
On the link I gave, they spell it with an X at the end.
i have always (and see post above this) spelled it CKS at the end - Mavericks.  emoji4.png

Yeah, but everywhere in that sentence you spelled it the same.

True, but as my following sentence showed, I refuse to learn from what was (as further findings established) my original utterly correct assumption.

I must've seen it printed somewhere, at some time or other, to know that...  :P

True, but as my following sentence showed, I refuse to learn from what was (as further findings established) my original utterly correct assumption.

I must've seen it printed somewhere, at some time or other, to know that...  [emoji14]

I don't like repeating myself but ... eh?

4 minutes ago, Slarti said:
7 minutes ago, antrin said:

I must've seen it printed somewhere, at some time or other, to know that...  emoji14.png

I don't like repeating myself but ... eh?

Dunno what your confusion is... but the list of ice-rink bands I offered... it is spelt with an x.

I thought i might have been wrong.

Dunno what your confusion is... but the list of ice-rink bands I offered... it is spelt with an x.
I thought i might have been wrong.
Are you saying that it is spelled with an x but you thought it was icks? Or are you saying the thing you linked to was wrong to spell it with an x and it is really icks?

There is a band called The Mavericks but they are American and 20-30 years too late to be the same band.

9 minutes ago, Slarti said:

Are you saying that it is spelled with an x but you thought it was icks? Or are you saying the thing you linked to was wrong to spell it with an x and it is really icks?

i was open to be wrong after all this time - having stumbled upon online evidence. Though I remained resistant to change.

this latter course proved adequate,

There is a band called The Mavericks but they are American and 20-30 years too late to be the same band.

this isnae relevant.

On 9/27/2020 at 5:25 PM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Moss St lookung towards Love St and St James St. You can see the twin spire if the Episcopal church on the right.
FB_IMG_1601223521551.jpeg

On 9/27/2020 at 7:16 PM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Approx the same view today.

image.png.d2be43370999e96dc703a60d0a475abc.png

The Sheriff Court was built 1885 and extended in 1891 towards Love St.  I'm surprised you don't see it in the old photo as I would have thought the date of it would be around the same time or... early 20th C.

Edited by Desperately Seeking Susans

Don't want to be picky but the building in the picture is not the original Sheriff Court.  That was the main building built for Renfrewshire County Council in 1890 when County Councils were established and remained their property until 1975 when it was taken over by the Court.  The previous seat of the County Council was the building on County Square, later the Burgh Cooncil offices.  The Sheriff Court was immediately to the left of the building in your picture. 

image.png.4ca84e76daa9fdff4b2e894e8dc7279f.png