Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

2 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

The Theatre and Town Hall taken from the Jail Tower, 1947.

120796602_2818270261608006_1753451661096289853_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=5iwep5hvMfgAX8lge8v&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=0aeb5862dfcba0cbae190df894c27a6b&oe=5FA13B3A

I wonder what happened to the Greco style pillar in this photo they look more prominent than they are today ? Was that the main entrance back then? 

Edited by ALBIONSAINT
Spelling

I wonder what happened to the Greco style pillar in this photo they look more prominent than they are today ? Was that the main entrance back then? 
Don't think so when you see it from another angle more than a few years ago. [emoji106]

https://www.paisley.org.uk/paisley-history/paisley-town-hall/

Paisley Glen Street between Caledonia St and our old home (Love St) over a period of 80 years.

The B& W photo appears to have been taken on the date of the 1937 celebration for the Coronation of George IV, but he came to the throne in '36, so maybe they delayed the celebration in the streets!!

Walked past this road week after week and never ventured down it once. It's interesting to see the changes tho'!

Paisley Glen St 1937.jpg

Paisley Glen St 2017 from Love St.jpg

Paisley Glen St 2019 From Caledonia St.jpg

Edited by The Original 59er

2 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

Paisley Glen Street between Caledonia St and our old home (Love St) over a period of 80 years.

Walked past this road week after week and never ventured down in once. It's interesting to see the changes tho'!

Paisley Glen St 1937.jpg

Paisley Glen St 2017 from Love St.jpg

Paisley Glen St 2019 From Caledonia St.jpg

Aye, the first "new" picture is from the Love Street end, the other from Caledonia Street end. 

I spent quite a lot of time in Glen Street, more in Glen Lane, which came out in St James's Street. 

5 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Did the town planner get the jail for knocking that Castle down ?? 

or was it a brown envelope 

I'm told it was rat infested, but maybe that was just a myth that my Mother & Father told me to ensure I stayed out of trouble, but given it was next to a pretty mucky river, I could imagine it was true.

I suspect the building had seen its best days even by the 1960's, although I really do think they could have done something with the facade, until of course some bright spark came along and dreamt up an idea of a covered shopping mall covering the river and knocking down the County Jail for a multi storey car park attached to said mall!!! :o

2 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

I'm told it was rat infested, but maybe that was just a myth that my Mother & Father told me to ensure I stayed out of trouble, but given it was next to a pretty mucky river, I could imagine it was true.

I suspect the building had seen its best days even by the 1960's, although I really do think they could have done something with the facade, until of course some bright spark came along and dreamt up an idea of a covered shopping mall covering the river and knocking down the County Jail for a multi storey car park attached to said mall!!! :o

It's still rat infested saw one as big as a rottweiler running across Central Way  not long ago 

amazon pet GIF by Rachael Ray Show

29 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Did the town planner get the jail for knocking that Castle down ?? 

or was it a brown envelope 

The planners didn't want the modernisation of the town centre, in the 60's / 70's it was the government who more or less forced the local councils with grants to help bring down Scottish unemployment. The building giants had politicians in the palm of their hands in these days.  That's where the brown envelopes went. 

1 hour ago, rabuddies said:

The planners didn't want the modernisation of the town centre, in the 60's / 70's it was the government who more or less forced the local councils with grants to help bring down Scottish unemployment. The building giants had politicians in the palm of their hands in these days.  That's where the brown envelopes went. 

Unemployment rates in Scotland in the mid to late 60s were some of the lowest in history, the 70s seen a steep rise in unemployment,  the old prison was demolished in the 60s was it not