Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

1 hour ago, portmahomack saint said:

Unemployment rates in Scotland in the mid to late 60s were some of the lowest in history, the 70s seen a steep rise in unemployment,  the old prison was demolished in the 60s was it not 

Early 70's, along with the Burgh Council office on County Square.  When the new offices opened on Cotton Street basically.

2 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Think you better have a wee look at the photo's above :rolleyes:   1960's

I did, this photo was taken in 1968/69 and the jail and the Burgh Offices are still there. The story on Paisley.Org which contains this photo is headlined  "Paisley Piazza Photographs 1967/68 - Paisley Prison still stands and the River Cart is wide open in these pictures taken during the construction of the Piazza Shopping Centre, Paisley."  However, if you look at the photos most of them are dated 1969 and 1970.  That would suggest it was 1969 when the car park at the rear was added so perhaps the jail came down then.  I was close.  😌  The Labour Government was throwing money at local government in the late 60's to head off industrial unrest which Ted Heath inherited in 1970.  T Dan Smith anybody?

Early 70's, along with the Burgh Council office on County Square.  When the new offices opened on Cotton Street basically.

I was born late 66 and I remember asking my dad what the jail building was. So it was still there when I was old enough to do that and remember it - I'd imagine that I wouldn't have been less than 3 at the time but probably a bit older.

7 minutes ago, Yflab said:

It’s feckin horrific. Just a concrete jungle.

Making coherent sense of a concrete jungle’s plans and fitting them as required in the topography IS great engineering.

your enemy\target shouldnae be the engineers, rather the architects and the planners possibly at the behest of the (miserly) funding politicians.

i think.  :)

46 minutes ago, antrin said:

Cracking series of pix showing some amazing engineering, no matter your view about the end-product.

Ta, pod.  :)

It created a lot of jobs during and after its construction.  Concrete at the time was the mode of building at the time, when they were starting to throw up tower blocks all over the place.  

Was way ahead of anything similar at the time no matter what peoples opinion of it at present. Outdated, but worn well.  Filled a hole that some think could have be put to better use, but accepted it at the time.    

12 minutes ago, pod said:

It created a lot of jobs during and after its construction.  Concrete at the time was the mode of building at the time, when they were starting to throw up tower blocks all over the place.  

Was way ahead of anything similar at the time no matter what peoples opinion of it at present. Outdated, but worn well.  Filled a hole that some think could have be put to better use, but accepted it at the time.    

I wonder if they made as much concrete as they made...   “at the times”...?  :)

The next generation will be saying much the same as they reminisce the multi-storey car park after its demolition (the sooner the better).  You know, it wouldn't be financially impossible to rebuild the county building again and reinstate our heritage (and while they're at it plough up the surface of the square which is out of character from most of the buildings that overlook it.:spud5