Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

7 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

That's a great photo Shull, it looks like they will have come from the Fleet Air Arm base at Abbotsinch or maybe on their way there if the tow truck is pointing towards the bridge.😃

The wee truck/vehicle in the rh corner of that pic gives a good clue.

12 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Although this is Moss Street it's the other side of the bridge from the previous picture.

In which case they are coming from, rather than going to, Abbostinch.

Difficult to recognise the type of aircraft being towed. It looks like a single wing, mid-bodied craft which opens up a number of options. Any suggestions? Initially I would have gone with a Grumman Wildcat if I had to make a stab at it, but they look like fixed wheels as opposed to folding back in flight????

................... and yes the van in the foreground does provide a wee hint, the photographer obviously worked hard to get that reference into the photo.😉

Edited by The Original 59er

That's a great photo Shull, it looks like they will have come from the Fleet Air Arm base at Abbotsinch or maybe on their way there if the tow truck is pointing towards the bridge.[emoji2]
The road on the right is St. James Street (the row of shops to the right of the plane is where McKay the Jeweller is now) so they've come from Abbotsinch.

11 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Although this is Moss Street it's the other side of the bridge from the previous picture.

The billboard for the West End cinema is showing The Outcast which was a 1934 film - the second film looks like The Bold Caballeros (1936) but I can’t quite make it out.

44 minutes ago, Buddymarvellous said:

The billboard for the West End cinema is showing The Outcast which was a 1934 film - the second film looks like The Bold Caballeros (1936) but I can’t quite make it out.

41 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Ask @antrin as he was around Paisley at this time.

The programme on the left of the billboard was the filmS showing Tuesday to Friday, and the programme on the right took over Saturday to Monday.

The Alex operated the same sort of schedule..

I hope this helps?  😛

13 hours ago, rabuddies said:

Ah, whatever happened to Four Crown?  🍷🍷🍷🍷

It was a Port style wine produced in South Africa and imported by Bulloch & Co to Glasgow.

I think I remember selling it from the Off Sales which was in the building that is now the "Gleniffer Hotel" at the junction of Glenburn Road and Caplethill Road at the start of the 70's. They didn't serve Lanliq .............. too low brow for the good residents of Glenburn.

Four Crown.jpg

2 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

It was a Port style wine produced in South Africa and imported by Bulloch & Co to Glasgow.

I think I remember selling it from the Off Sales which was in the building that is now the "Gleniffer Hotel" at the junction of Glenburn Road and Caplethill Road at the start of the 70's. They didn't serve Lanliq .............. too low brow for the good residents of Glenburn.

Four Crown.jpg

While the uncleansed down the road drank  image.jpeg.c82f83bacab6e3ad9de8195f9f294087.jpeg

On 10/16/2020 at 9:34 AM, The Original 59er said:

In which case they are coming from, rather than going to, Abbostinch.

Difficult to recognise the type of aircraft being towed. It looks like a single wing, mid-bodied craft which opens up a number of options. Any suggestions? Initially I would have gone with a Grumman Wildcat if I had to make a stab at it, but they look like fixed wheels as opposed to folding back in flight????

................... and yes the van in the foreground does provide a wee hint, the photographer obviously worked hard to get that reference into the photo.😉

I think the aircraft are Grumman Avengers .