Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Just now, Cookie Monster said:
1 hour ago, Slarti said:
The blue one is the Anchor Rec (or whatever it's called these days) and the purple one is ... well ... purple.

The TA Base.

Hmmm.

A TA/REME base used to be behind the red buildings in George Street at the south end of the (now)Uni site.

Entrances from George Street: between the LHS of Paisley Tech (building still standing) and the old church

And at the west end by a passageway (now gated) under the furthest west of the red buildings.

I recall seeing actual tanks in there!   :o

10 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:
2 hours ago, Slarti said:
The blue one is the Anchor Rec (or whatever it's called these days) and the purple one is ... well ... purple.

The TA Base.

3 minutes ago, antrin said:

Hmmm.

A TA/REME base used to be behind the red buildings in George Street at the south end of the (now)Uni site.

Entrances from George Street: between the LHS of Paisley Tech (building still standing) and the old church

And at the west end by a passageway (now gated) under the furthest west of the red buildings.

I recall seeing actual tanks in there!   :o

Aye, I thought the picture was "just a wee tad" too early for that to be the case.

Did Churchill send the tanks there?

1 minute ago, Slarti said:

Aye, I thought the picture was "just a wee tad" too early for that to be the case.

Did Churchill send the tanks there?

:)

Naw...  that would have been in the 50s when I saw that.  And probably only the one, now I think on it...

Might have been on a recruitment day.  They had several of those, IIRC.

Hmmm.

I recall seeing actual tanks in there!   [emoji33]

You could just had said behind the old shop. [emoji6]

7 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

Taken in much the same era around mid-30's

Paisley from the air 1938.jpg

That one is a great illustration of how Bank St starts in Seedhill Rd at one end (as it still does) and forms "The New Town Cross", a 5-way junction with Gauze St, Silk St and Cotton St at the other end.

8 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

Taken in much the same era around mid-30's

Paisley from the air 1938.jpg

What most impressed me in this pic was the HUGE box that was the Old High Street picture house... ( now helping form the Paisley centre) with the looong corridor (with gushing fountain And sweetie shop) that you had to pass  to reach the actual viewing space.

I really like this picture from pre-car days. It says Paisley Cross on the photo, but it's more like the High St looking west towards the Coats Memorial Church, roughly taken from where M&S had their store. 

There is also a number on the bottom left which might be the date of 21st Sept 1898, and looking at the garb and the carriage it may well be from that era.

Paisley - High Street Looking West.jpg

Edited by The Original 59er

On 10/19/2020 at 7:37 AM, Cookie Monster said:

Williamsburgh Primary Green Dot
tapatalk_1603089169906~2.jpeg

Looking at Barshaw Park there was an air raid shelter built in the far corner of the park close to Oldhall Road. Dank, dark smelly place I seem to remember! 🤧

I'm not sure if what we are seeing is the bandstand that was also in the park, roughly where the long white building is appearing. The pond doesn't seem to be there, but the the tennis courts are there, I think, tho' they could be bowling greens.

Barshaw House which eventually became an old folks' home is at the top of the hill, hidden by the line of trees, but the road up to it between the trees is obvious.

Barshaw House.jpg

I really like this picture from pre-car days. It says Paisley Cross on the photo, but it's more like the High St looking west towards the Coats Memorial Church, roughly taken from where M&S had their store. 
There is also a number on the bottom left which might be the date of 21st Sept 1898, and looking at the garb and the carriage it may well be from that era.

928215602_Paisley-HighStreetLookingWest.jpg.c9212f87465a91b1de807b637006beb9.jpg
I agree.

Here's a photo showing that the building the carriage is sitting outside is no longer.

Screenshot_20201020-193112_Maps.jpeg

2 hours ago, antrin said:

What most impressed me in this pic was the HUGE box that was the Old High Street picture house... ( now helping form the Paisley centre) with the looong corridor (with gushing fountain And sweetie shop) that you had to pass  to reach the actual viewing space.

There are four cinemas in that picture (Astoria, LaScala, Picture House and Palladium) with the Kelburne just out of shot.

11 hours ago, antrin said:

You forgot to mention that its  most priceless function, was to serve as a place of safety for entry into the world of some pretty amazing Buddies!  :)

Aye...
I WAS born in a park...

So was my big sister, maybe you were in the cot next to her. . :whistle

Edited by pod

16 hours ago, antrin said:

You forgot to mention that its  most priceless function, was to serve as a place of safety for entry into the world of some pretty amazing Buddies!  :)

Aye...
I WAS born in a park...

I had forgotten that fact, and I only just realised it has now been converted into flats! (http://mansions.paisleyhistory.uk/barshaw.htm

3 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Possibly but the Hellcat had spats on the wheels, Avengers did not , like the one in the pic.  Also the Avenger had strut supports at an angle like the one in the pic. 
Both went through Abbostsinch at some point . 

Some Hellcats came into Abbotsinch in 1946 (the date on the picture) en route to the Blackburn aircraft factory in Dumbarton for 'modifications', whatever they were. Also the front end of the wing 'split' in the Avenger wasn't straight, but had a step in it. That's why I thought hellcat.

On 10/18/2020 at 11:07 PM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

I can see my house in this one.

121965128_5228761213816285_7375590894482385838_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=AZDY2_GzN_UAX9ooFTV&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=f5f21894136d6fc4b33663ffe47fde83&oe=5FB27099

Fabulous photo. .... 

Having worked at Anchor Mills this photo shows the expanse of the place and also the magnificent sports facilities they provided. If memory serves me well The Mercerising was at the top end of the sports field. 
The sport’s facilities were first class where we had a cricket ground (one of the best in the West of Scotland), 3 hockey pitches, at least 2 football pitches, 3 if not 4 bowling greens and 6 tennis courts. The pavilion was great where we played badminton in the top floor and 2 snooker tables in the basement. 

Spent many happy sporting days there in the 60’s early 70’s