Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

On 10/20/2020 at 1:59 PM, antrin said:

Hmmm.

A TA/REME base used to be behind the red buildings in George Street at the south end of the (now)Uni site.

Entrances from George Street: between the LHS of Paisley Tech (building still standing) and the old church

And at the west end by a passageway (now gated) under the furthest west of the red buildings.

I recall seeing actual tanks in there!   :o

My former French teacher at the JNI was was  W Steel Brownlie who landed as a tank commander on the Normandy beaches and advanced through northern France into Belgium and Holland. He was later the CO of the Ayrshire Yeomanry TA Depot in George Street. I remember him taking my class of 30+ boys on an afternoon visit to the depot and letting us crawl all over and inside the tanks. If I remember rightly he had been awarded the Military Cross.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 10:53 PM, antrin said:

You forgot to mention that its  most priceless function, was to serve as a place of safety for entry into the world of some pretty amazing Buddies!  :)

Aye...
I WAS born in a park...

Yip, I'm another Park baby. 1956 vintage

17 hours ago, smcc said:

My former French teacher at the JNI was was  W Steel Brownlie who landed as a tank commander on the Normandy beaches and advanced through northern France into Belgium and Holland. He was later the CO of the Ayrshire Yeomanry TA Depot in George Street. I remember him taking my class of 30+ boys on an afternoon visit to the depot and letting us crawl all over and inside the tanks. If I remember rightly he had been awarded the Military Cross.

He was indeed for an action in August 1944 when he was an Acting Captain.  He landed on D Day 6th June as a Lieutenant, was an Acting Captain by 3rd August and ended up a Major all before they crossed the German border I think.  Must have been a tough call invading Europe in a tank?  More than that he was a pretty decent bloke as teachers go.  He certainly didn't panic when one of the lads stuck a penknife in the knee of the lad sitting next to him.

High Street

Looking back along the High Street towards the Town Centre c.1900. This view from the steps of the Museum looks across at what was No's 40-38 (now No's 63-59). The houses nearest were the property of John Wilson (father of Prof. John Wilson) and housed the Wilson Assembly Hall, and beyond that, and still standing very prominent today, is the intricately carved Stone Tenement of No.39 (now No.61)

A well kent member of this forum used to live at no. 61.

122608926_3314241418688869_5612975726988162471_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=0llUVuh8g_EAX_uTRYK&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=856eccc44a3547e602fd9e79e1c3bb9e&oe=5FBBBCDC

1 hour ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

High Street

Looking back along the High Street towards the Town Centre c.1900. This view from the steps of the Museum looks across at what was No's 40-38 (now No's 63-59). The houses nearest were the property of John Wilson (father of Prof. John Wilson) and housed the Wilson Assembly Hall, and beyond that, and still standing very prominent today, is the intricately carved Stone Tenement of No.39 (now No.61)

A well kent member of this forum used to live at no. 61.

122608926_3314241418688869_5612975726988162471_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=0llUVuh8g_EAX_uTRYK&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=856eccc44a3547e602fd9e79e1c3bb9e&oe=5FBBBCDC

A well kent member of this forum still owns a flat at no 61.

Edited by HSS

It always pays to look upwards at buildings, no matter where you are as often some of the finer details and quirks of the architect are 'hidden' in the upper reaches of the building.

The Russell Institute in Causeyside St is one of the finer examples!

Paisley Figure on Russell Institute Causeyside St..jpg

46 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

It always pays to look upwards at buildings, no matter where you are as often some of the finer details and quirks of the architect are 'hidden' in the upper reaches of the building.

The Russell Institute in Causeyside St is one of the finer examples!

Paisley Figure on Russell Institute Causeyside St..jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-23810979

Love Street as I never really knew it. In the 2nd photo you can just see the ground turnstiles to the right. These buildings must have been demolished to make way for the car park.

I think the aerial must have been taken like the others of that type around Paisley in the mid30's. No floodlights to be seen!

Love St stadium and surrounds circa 36.jpg

Love St Paisley next to hallowed turf.jpg

Edited by The Original 59er

3 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

Paisley Mill Strike of '56.

I like the 3rd photo, you can just imagine what the guys are saying to each other as they look over at their women who are organising the strike............

Paisley mill strike, 1956 1.jpg

Paisley mill strike, 1956 2.jpg

Paisley mill strike, 1956.jpg

In the third photo that looks like my old West School on the right but what building is that on the left?

(It IS the school - Gate entrance hidden by the blonde on the right)

It’s a Feegie Mill out-building,IIRC.

(that whole corner is 4-storied flats, now)

the woman in the suit, with her hands clasped, is looking ahead towards the Mill main gates at the top of Newton Street.

Edited by antrin

20 hours ago, shull said:

FB_IMG_1603994746754.jpg.563b0432749355753d1d42edea3ce147.jpg

That church is something I'm quietly proud of!

After closing as a church it went the usual way of being a furniture store / odds and sods salesroom, and slowly but surely it started to really deteriorate as a building. It was a nice Grade 2 listed building, but that made no difference to the owners. 

Having been dragged up in Paisley, but now working in the big smoke (of Glasgow), I was well aware that grants were available through a government funded body and they would support development of any building if you could show that benefit would come from the investment. I had the idea of creating three floors of flats with an atrium in the middle. The big problem were the long windows on each side of the building, and how would you introduce a floor detail for the middle level of flats. The Paisley Planners weren't at all enthusiastic and basically said we couldn't touch the building, or all we could create were two levels of residential, which didn't financially work. So I asked for Historic Scotland to become involved and one of their people came to Paisley and we turned up at the building with the Paisley Planner in tow. She was fully expecting to be backed up by Historic Scotland, but they backed our idea to the hilt and said that this was one of the best solutions they had seen for a building of this type. 

So the bottom line was that we carried out the development and I can actually say, I saved the building. The great advantage that it had was no burial ground around it and internally it wasn't too ecclesiastical so not that difficult to get the right look.

I hope if any members of the forum live, or has lived here it would be good to hear what they thought of it. I haven't been in the building for a long number of years. The development was completed around 1988.