Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

24 minutes ago, Yflab said:

I’ve been given an old Paisley calendar from 2010 with lots of images of Paisley. I think they may have been posted before on this thread, but I’m happy to upload them if anyone wants to save some good images of the town from the 50s and 60s.

Is the South School featured on it?

3 hours ago, Yflab said:

I’ve been given an old Paisley calendar from 2010 with lots of images of Paisley. I think they may have been posted before on this thread, but I’m happy to upload them if anyone wants to save some good images of the town from the 50s and 60s.

It's worth anything being re-posted as 151 pages and rising is bound to have some repetition!

I would go for it and accept the usual barbs and laughter from us old yins.🤣:hammer

11 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

Jim Clunie came from Aberdeen, if I recall, and he was a very solid centre back. 

If you “recall”....!  :lol:

He was a Very mediocre centre half, who captained his Aiberdeen team to a 1959 cup final defeat, that coincidentally made you a Saints fan!

he looked a better Player in the stripes, that’s all.  

6 hours ago, Yflab said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=107cbab98f0e87ec9EA84FDC-D13E-4335-9B9F-EB6BE86F3DC9.thumb.jpeg.72d2b60da671b5cf77d6cbd1316481cc.jpeg

Looking North across Dunn Square, June 1959. Behind the red buses can be seen the Paisley Theatre which closed in 1959.

Superb collection of photographs, this one above above , my favourite.

Looks like a work of art painting.

Edited by shull

So perhaps [mention=24]HSS[/mention] is right?
I wonder what the first chippy was in Paisley. Does it still exist?
Was the Raja the first Indian? [mention=12059]Eric Arthur Blair[/mention] might know. I see it was in the news recently because the owner failed to pay any tax. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/former-paisley-takeaway-boss-delivered-22339140
Yeah, the Raja was the first. IIRC one of their previous shop front signs said "First Indian Reataurant in Paisley Est. 1970".

25 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:
8 hours ago, Yflab said:
So perhaps [mention=24]HSS[/mention] is right?
I wonder what the first chippy was in Paisley. Does it still exist?
Was the Raja the first Indian? [mention=12059]Eric Arthur Blair[/mention] might know. I see it was in the news recently because the owner failed to pay any tax. 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/former-paisley-takeaway-boss-delivered-22339140

Yeah, the Raja was the first. IIRC one of their previous shop front signs said "First Indian Reataurant in Paisley Est. 1970".

I hope they had a word with the Sign Writer.

19 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

The new Paisley pattern traffic information sign on the whitecart viaduct is pretty cool 😎 

351465B6-39D1-46C4-BD1F-FF6B25D12670.jpeg

I've got to say that I find it very strange that it has been erected. I thought the only signage on motorways was warning notices etc (I don't consider the "stay alert stay safe save lives" is a warning more an insult to my intelligence!

So how are they allowed to erect this sign right on the motorway edge?

Edited by The Original 59er

16 hours ago, Yflab said:

I’ve a load of old Saints photos that I need to scan in. My faither worked for the PDE and used to get a load of press photos for me. I must scan them in and load them up.

Don't hesitate. The fact that a lot of them will be unpublished makes them all the more valuable - well to this website if no other. 

21 hours ago, Yflab said:

8CDE50C6-72C7-4B92-817F-FF244747FC2A.thumb.jpeg.d0a48204d88c27d61089fa9cecb6cae1.jpeg

The Boating Pond at Barshaw Park, May 1975

I remember going to the park when I was in my teens and there was always a yearly big day at the park. Lots of stalls, boating on the pond and loads of other things - the Oldhall scouts ran a beat the goalie competition and Jim Thorburn was the Goalie!!!

It was also a good day for spotting the talent and taking your chances - however I don't see much evidence of that in 1975! :whistle

16 hours ago, antrin said:

If you “recall”....!  :lol:

He was a Very mediocre centre half, who captained his Aiberdeen team to a 1959 cup final defeat, that coincidentally made you a Saints fan!

he looked a better Player in the stripes, that’s all.  

I suspect that in my formative years he seemed a good player, but with the advantage of age and maybe knowledge, my thoughts on his abilities may have been different.

Perhaps it was coloured by the fact that he looked good compared to what was round about him!

The new Paisley pattern traffic information sign on the whitecart viaduct is pretty cool [emoji41] 
351465B6-39D1-46C4-BD1F-FF6B25D12670.thumb.jpeg.d2d190a75e8405db56936459ff947e55.jpeg
It isn't a traffic information sign, it's an advertisement board.

I prefer the paisley pattern when it's lit up red. If I'm in the passengers seat tomorrow I'll try and get a picture of it then.

5 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

I suspect that in my formative years he seemed a good player, but with the advantage of age and maybe knowledge, my thoughts on his abilities may have been different.

Perhaps it was coloured by the fact that he looked good compared to what was round about him!

Clunie was a great player - even with Aberdeen.  :)

I was merely pointing out that his greatness didnae hinder theBuddies in the 1959 final!

and that ye hudnae noticed he was up against Saints in yon match.

16 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

And by magic.....

Screenshot_20201104-205703_Facebook.jpeg

I ran round that corner right into a girl running the other way and, as she was shorter than me, had one of my (fairly) new (at the time) "adult" front teeth snapped in two.  Have had a crown on the remains ever since.  Think I was about P4 at the time.  Oh what a laugh we had.