Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

2 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Was there a co-op ever there or nearby?

I know my Gran worked in the one on Causeyside Street. But was sure she worked more local than that. emoji106.png

I worked after school in Tommy Smith's butcher shop in the late 1960s.

The guy who worked there before me is also a Saints fan, but it is a number of years since I have seen him at a match.

I don't remember a Co-op nearby, but on a Saturday morning I delivered meat to the Chinese across George Street and every week they chased me out brandishing a cleaver! 

I remember Charlie Green well. I wonder if he is still around? He was fine when he managed the shop, but don't think he coped so well when he owned it. 

When Tommy Smith retired, I believe he gifted the shop to Charlie. Very generous after Charlie had worked for him for years.

2 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Was there a co-op ever there or nearby?

I know my Gran worked in the one on Causeyside Street. But was sure she worked more local than that. emoji106.png

Sorry - I missed that.

There definitely was a Large-ish (bigger than those in the pic) Co-op shop, further west along George Street.  Just alongside the exit from the Co-op bakery round the back (enterable from Lady Lane) - which I took to be the "shortcut mentioned in an earlier post.

There were good tenement flats - like along Lady Lane - above the shop.

So... end of Rid Buildings in the pic heading west, there were 3 or 4 smaller closes and the low building with Wisharts Bakers  ( it briefly became a MacMillan bakery before demoiltion), then we reached the Co-op mega-bakery entrance, Co-op buildings,including their good, taller, grey sandstone tenements..

Think there was a butcher on corner of Lady Lane and another fishnchip shop -again in  low buildings before those tall Co-op ones.

12 minutes ago, ianmac said:

I worked after school in Tommy Smith's butcher shop in the late 1960s.

The guy who worked there before me is also a Saints fan, but it is a number of years since I have seen him at a match.

I don't remember a Co-op nearby, but on a Saturday morning I delivered meat to the Chinese across George Street and every week they chased me out brandishing a cleaver! 

I remember Charlie Green well. I wonder if he is still around? He was fine when he managed the shop, but don't think he coped so well when he owned it. 

When Tommy Smith retired, I believe he gifted the shop to Charlie. Very generous after Charlie had worked for him for years.

Chic was unlucky, in that big supermarkets with cheap meats, presented in a modern manner in a (wow!) modern serve-yourself style had opened up in Paisley - and also that all the streets containing the previously loyal customers were demolished with the old customers often moving out to the schemes - and a while before fresh potential customers arrived. 

I liked Chic.  I know what you mean by "coping".  :(

34 minutes ago, antrin said:

Chic was unlucky, in that big supermarkets with cheap meats, presented in a modern manner in a (wow!) modern serve-yourself style had opened up in Paisley - and also that all the streets containing the previously loyal customers were demolished with the old customers often moving out to the schemes - and a while before fresh potential customers arrived. 

I liked Chic.  I know what you mean by "coping".  :(

Tommy Smith's was a good place for a young lad to work, Plenty of laughs and a decent breakfast as long as Tommy didn't catch you eating steak on your roll.

I also learned a lot about betting on the horses - enough to have never gambled since.

As well as Charlie there was a young man called Bobby (who liked to lock you in the walk in cold store) and Wee Dougie's brother - looked very like Wee Dougie, except that he was about 6 feet tall !

25 minutes ago, antrin said:

Sorry - I missed that.

There definitely was a Large-ish (bigger than those in the pic) Co-op shop, further west along George Street.  Just alongside the exit from the Co-op bakery round the back (enterable from Lady Lane) - which I took to be the "shortcut mentioned in an earlier post.

There were good tenement flats - like along Lady Lane - above the shop.

So... end of Rid Buildings in the pic heading west, there were 3 or 4 smaller closes and the low building with Wisharts Bakers  ( it briefly became a MacMillan bakery before demoiltion), then we reached the Co-op mega-bakery entrance, Co-op buildings,including their good, taller, grey sandstone tenements..

Think there was a butcher on corner of Lady Lane and another fishnchip shop -again in  low buildings before those tall Co-op ones.

Antrim, thanks for comments. The "shortcut" was called a Pen which cut the corner of Lady Lane/George Street. The entrance/exit in George Street beside the shop led to a entrance/exit in Lady Lane. The co-op may have owned a fair bit of the property in that area since in this pen there was the co-op Joiners workshop and other trades. The building  next to the Regal was their Garage where they kept the funeral cars and at that time the Parlour was (I think) beside the shop but closer to Lady Lane.

Yes good long term memory but can't remember the last time I saw a good St Mirren game.!!!!!!

2 minutes ago, hamlet said:

Antrim, thanks for comments. The "shortcut" was called a Pen which cut the corner of Lady Lane/George Street. The entrance/exit in George Street beside the shop led to a entrance/exit in Lady Lane. The co-op may have owned a fair bit of the property in that area since in this pen there was the co-op Joiners workshop and other trades. The building  next to the Regal was their Garage where they kept the funeral cars and at that time the Parlour was (I think) beside the shop but closer to Lady Lane.

Yes good long term memory but can't remember the last time I saw a good St Mirren game.!!!!!!

My Aunt and Uncle lived in the wee flat IN the Lady Lane pen. Quite dangerous, stepping out your front door directly into the path of the lorries.

I've also mentioned the following in this forum years ago...

It was late in my teens that I understood what the vertical sign outside that entrance meant..

All it said was DESALDOW. I had a dictionary. DESALDOW wasn't in it.  There was no Google.  My teachers didn't know what I was blethering about.

In those late teens (maybe after my first beers..) all was clear!

It was not one word to be read in the normal way.

D

E

S

A

L

D

O

W

It was two words.

Yeah the garages were between the tenements that are still standing and the Regal/ABC cinema.

My grandad started off driving the delivery van's before he drove the funeral cars and hearse.

Allegedly sometimes when he was on call he'd drive us to the football and park in St James chapel for the duration of the game.

If anyone wondered how it took an undertaker so long to collect a deceased relative on some/most Saturdays in the 60/70s now you know. [emoji23]

On 11/15/2020 at 7:07 PM, Cookie Monster said:

I can see my Grandparents house 21 Lady Lane, my Granddads work 15 Lady Lane, my Grandparents club 14 Lady Lane, my Grandads local 26 Lady Lane and my Grans work 52 George Street.

He teased her cause she had that far to go to work. emoji23.png

The row of buildings near the ABC where the Uni main entrance is now. My gran owned a boozer there for years , late 40s 50s .  It was the original Argyll Bar. I keep hoping I'll see a a decent photo of it on here !

1 hour ago, antrin said:

My Aunt and Uncle lived in the wee flat IN the Lady Lane pen. Quite dangerous, stepping out your front door directly into the path of the lorries.

I've also mentioned the following in this forum years ago...

It was late in my teens that I understood what the vertical sign outside that entrance meant..

All it said was DESALDOW. I had a dictionary. DESALDOW wasn't in it.  There was no Google.  My teachers didn't know what I was blethering about.

In those late teens (maybe after my first beers..) all was clear!

It was not one word to be read in the normal way.

D

E

S

A

L

D

O

W

It was two words.

Was it outside the undertakers?

2 hours ago, billyg said:

The row of buildings near the ABC where the Uni main entrance is now. My gran owned a boozer there for years , late 40s 50s .  It was the original Argyll Bar. I keep hoping I'll see a a decent photo of it on here !

When it closed they transfer the licence to the Old Sneddon bar. Hence name change.    My mum used to manage it.  

Edited by pod

5 hours ago, hamlet said:

Pend

Pend is a Scottish architectural term referring to a passageway that passes through a building, often from a street through to a courtyard or 'back court', and may be for both vehicles and pedestrian access or exclusively pedestrians. I always knew Weighhouse Close as the Palladium Pend.

Pend
Pend is a Scottish architectural term referring to a passageway that passes through a building, often from a street through to a courtyard or 'back court', and may be for both vehicles and pedestrian access or exclusively pedestrians. I always knew Weighhouse Close as the Palladium Pend.
Yep, the old Gordon Street bus depot had one - still there next to chippy.

19 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Great Hamilton street would be out of shot to the left, What year would this be ? ☝️

I lived in Great Hamilton St for the 1st few months of my life before moving in 1955/56.

Think it was pulled down not long after that. 

6 minutes ago, Slarti said:
18 minutes ago, smcc said:
Pend

Yep, the old Gordon Street bus depot had one - still there next to chippy.

Also one in Causeyside St next to Farm Foods.

15 minutes ago, smcc said:

Also one in Causeyside St next to Farm Foods.

Gies a break as soon as as posted I new it was Pend. Given myself slap on the wrist.

There is a few more, what was Kyles Dairy, diagonally opposite Whitehaugh Drive and 

entrance to Abercorn Bowling Club from Greenlaw Avenue.

48 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Here's a video from FB showing a family outside the newly opened airport. It also shows the children playing on the yet to be completed M8 slip road!

https://fb.watch/1PVYaHTpPT/

Nothing to beat playing on a motorway under construction when your a kid. :P

Edited by pod