Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

1 hour ago, pod said:

Nothing to beat playing on a motorway under construction when your a kid. :P

I am pretty sure that those pools at the front of the airport had carp in them. We used to go to the airport to play on the mini dogems which were outside at the top of the spiral staircase you see in the video. We also loved to pay 50p to watch the telly on the TV chair combo they had at the time, ah simpler times. 

35 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

I am pretty sure that those pools at the front of the airport had carp in them. We used to go to the airport to play on the mini dogems which were outside at the top of the spiral staircase you see in the video. We also loved to pay 50p to watch the telly on the TV chair combo they had at the time, ah simpler times. 

I can't recall the carp, but there was plenty of coins. :rolleyes: me and my mates had a field day.

3 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Another in Causeyside St opposite The Bluebird/Gleniffer/Library/whatever it's called these days.

One in Wellmeadow St opposite junction with Well St, one in Greenlaw Avenue.

Neilston Rd at the inshot,Love St at entrance to LS Motors.

1 hour ago, HSS said:

Neilston Rd at the inshot,Love St at entrance to LS Motors.

There used to be a pend in Brown St, That tenement row near the Well St end is long gone now. The pend led to a builder's yard and another tenement block. I lived there for the first 8 years of my life. 

Now I park in Brown St when I go to watch the Buddies.

Pretty much exact same view in both pics of 61 High St.1st one around 1860 and the other around 1900.

Theres something going on in the 2nd pic.Could it be a visiting Monarch or maybe the funeral of someone important?

57E82CDD-F5F4-4634-A4BD-331D92770829.jpeg

15A85AAC-B5CF-4DBC-AF48-3F761F7B9B29.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Screenshot_20201118-095249_Facebook.jpeg

Pre Argyll Bar emoji106.png

Uncanny, Christine is my sister. :thumbs2

Our mum used to work in the , Argyll, Afton, Cavern, Old Sneddon, Bungalow, Arkleston, one in Broomland Street, think it was called The Royal to name a few.

Probably served a few drinks to some of the older members on the forum in her time.

Edited by pod

3 hours ago, HSS said:

Pretty much exact same view in both pics of 61 High St.1st one around 1860 and the other around 1900.

Theres something going on in the 2nd pic.Could it be a visiting Monarch or maybe the funeral of someone important?

I think with the flag flying on full mast it is likely a visiting dignitary of some sort, there are also smaller flags in and around the flower box on the right hand side. Brilliant pictures.

2 hours ago, pod said:

Our mum used to work in the , Argyll, Afton, Cavern, Old Sneddon, Bungalow, Arkleston, one in Broomland Street, think it was called The Royal to name a few.

Probably served a few drinks to some of the older members on the forum in her time.

IIRC the Royal was owned / managed for a while by former footballer Joe Gilroy (ex-Clyde, ex-Dundee). Joe was a PE teacher at Paisley Grammar in the 1970s.

4 hours ago, HSS said:

The tenements were built in 1886 so I think the picture must be of Queen Victorias visit to the Town in 1888.

https://www.paisley.org.uk/paisley-history/queen-victoria-visit-to-paisley/

2 hours ago, pod said:

Had my first ever pint at lunch time in The Royal bar broomland Street aged about 15,  worked in McMillans the bakers across the road, nearly fell in the cake mix when I went back to work, still the same today a light weight 🤢