Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

A really interesting picture online from 1897 which I'm not going to load up onto this page due to copyright issues, but you can view it at: https://www.francisfrith.com/paisley/paisley-the-abbey-1897_39807

I can't ever recall seeing any picture like this before and it really sets out how the building looked before it was altered to today's current architectural form.

If you then scroll through the pictures that follow this one, all from the same era, there are some great turn of the century pictures from the same source, all worth seeing.

Edited by The Original 59er

1959 was a good year to be a Buddy.........

In these days you had to have a striped scarf which you never really see that much nowadays, also you had the wooden rattle which I was told at the time came from the days of the 1st World war trenches to warn of a gas attack, but some of them made a real noise.

Lead up to the 59 cup final.jpg

Football rattle.jpg

Edited by The Original 59er

Is the map of the Sneddon poorhouse?

Cos... I have the feeling that the building/s in the fotie was near the corner of CrawRoad/Calside?

I recall that building being an annexe of the RAI and I went there for something... :unsure:

jabs... I think.  Or to get  a fracture plaster removed...?

great map and fotie, though!  :)

Cos... I have the feeling that the building/s in the fotie was near the corner of CrawRoad/Calside?
I recall that building being an annexe of the RAI and I went there for something... :unsure:

great map and fotie, though!  [emoji4]
I thought that as well. Great minds [emoji848]

Was only in the RAI Craw Road annexe once for my 2 knees to be Xray.

Was told then my professional career was over. Proved them wrong. [emoji6]

Just thinking, that's at least two in my family that have Scottish winners medals.

Me and my Great Great Granddad. [emoji16]

http://www.anentscottishrunning.com/robert-mitchell/

1 hour ago, antrin said:

great map and fotie, though!  :)

The Poor house - Paisley Scotland

3 hours ago, Yflab said:

It’s only when you look at the Census records that it hits home the numbers housed in those conditions,

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Abbey/Abbey1881.shtml#Inmates2

I wonder what made you an "idiot lunatic" or just a lunatic? Also you could just be an "idiot" or in the case of John White a school master aged 33 who was just "lunatic", or if he was driven mad by the place where he worked (no school names provided).

Times were both cruel and unkind, given that Thomas McGonigle was just "deaf"!

Just seen this on facebook - into which I VERY SELDOM venture. (I cannae remember where the key is.)

Camphill, top left out of shot but the road and bridge leading up is there... and Canal Street marshalling yards.

Wee Storie Street, Barclay Street, Barr Street and West Buchanan Street top right.

Robertson's Jelly works takes centre stage.  Used to be a glorious orangey smell emanated from there...

Causeyside street - erstwhile home of BongoVonBudvar - sits in splendid sunshine, near the foot of the image!

Image may contain: outdoor

2 hours ago, antrin said:

Robertson's Jelly works takes centre stage.  Used to be a glorious orangey smell emanated from there...

Or if the wind blew in the opposite direct, the stench from the glue factory next to the Chain Road. 🤢

Edited by pod

This site really is worth a visit, if you were remotely interested in the Old Renfrew Airport and plane spotting....................... of course I would never have done a nerdy thing like that :whistle

http://www.dhc-2.com/Renfrew Reflections.html

My two greatest memories of Renfrew were both military arrivals:

1. A USAF Starfighter flew in. I think they were a touch difficult to control, however it came in for refuelling with its parachute braking system used as the runway would have been pretty short for it.

2. The second highlight was a the visit of a BAE Lightning. I saw it land and also take off. What was astounding was how it took off fast along the runway then vertical with engines red hot, hell knows how much fuel and tax payer's money alone would go into that manoeuvre! :o

Starfighter 2.jpg

Starfighter 1.jpg

Lightning 1.jpg

Lightning.jpg

I know there will be lots of photos on here of Canal St Station, however I thought it was worth mentioning that this route went on from Canal St crossed over the main line at Johnstone then went down to Bridge of Weir, Kilmacolm, and on to Port Glasgow and the upper part of Greenock and on to Princes Pier.

The line was closed for passenger services from Kilmacolm to Greenock in '59 but the line stayed open until '65. The services from Kilmacolm through Canal St and onwards to Glasgow closed in January '83.

Beneath Greenock lies an old line which once ran to the Princes Pier Station at the now Ocean Terminal. It originally ran from St Enoch through Paisley and Kilmacolm however that part of the line closed many years ago. Surprisingly the rails are still in place which is probably as a result of it being used to run freight to the container terminal.

Canal St Station.jpg

Canal St 1975.jpg

Kilmacolm_2_9_73_1.jpg

Tunnel down to Princes Pier.jpg

13 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

Beneath Greenock lies an old line which once ran to the Princes Pier Station at the now Ocean Terminal. It originally ran from St Enoch through Paisley and Kilmacolm however that part of the line closed many years ago. Surprisingly the rails are still in place which is probably as a result of it being used to run freight to the container terminal.

I used to work in Union St in Greenock, the old railway line passed under Union St then over Brougham St and onto Prince's Pier, now the site of the Cruise Terminal on the Esplanade.

On 12/10/2020 at 5:41 PM, The Original 59er said:

I know there will be lots of photos on here of Canal St Station, however I thought it was worth mentioning that this route went on from Canal St crossed over the main line at Johnstone then went down to Bridge of Weir, Kilmacolm, and on to Port Glasgow and the upper part of Greenock and on to Princes Pier.

The line was closed for passenger services from Kilmacolm to Greenock in '59 but the line stayed open until '65. The services from Kilmacolm through Canal St and onwards to Glasgow closed in January '83.

Canal St Station.jpg

Canal St 1975.jpg

Kilmacolm_2_9_73_1.jpg

Tunnel down to Princes Pier.jpg

Brilliant post and brilliant pics 59er. I was walking past the old canal street station the other day and was telling my Mrs about the stairs (2nd pic) that led down to the platform. I don’t think she believed me, but now I have photographic proof 👍🏻

1 hour ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

Has there been any photos of the East School posted on here?

Aye and ah hope someone had the foresight to take a few photos of Gallowhill PS as it’s currently burning down.