Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

I attended the East school primary, then the fee-paying Grammar school took it over in their expansive programme.  I was then designated to the West primary and I experienced the resulting over-crowding.  The class I was in was jammed packed with children.  I wonder what political party was in control of the town/education authority?

If I ever bump into Andrew Neil (Grammar school alumnus) I'm going to pull him up about it.  Being of the same age as me he must have moved in as we were evicted!!!

Edited by Desperately Seeking Susans

9 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

For those who have any interest in the history of the Grammar School, this is worth a read and it opened my eyes a little as I knew very little of the years before is settled into Glasgow Road.

7.1-Paisley-School-McKechin.pdf 2.37 MB · 7 downloads

Very interesting read. This thread never ceases to surprise me about how little I know about Paisley history. Excellent post once more 59er 👍🏻

As you can see, the East School (red) and Robertson Centre (blue) are entirely separate.

image.thumb.png.6e861b99ecf3bae27d38e9046ff4319b.png

I think he was pointing out that the picture in the post he was replying to was of the rear of the Robertson Centre and NOT the West Primary as the poster suggested/asked.

Your moral compass is fcuked. We are talking about the East Primary.
I went to the East nursery as a nipper. I assume it was an annex of the main building [mention=12059]Eric Arthur Blair[/mention]

The post I initially replied to, had asked if the rear of the building still standing was the West Primary. [emoji14]

Your moral compass is fcuked. We are talking about the East Primary.
I went to the East nursery as a nipper. I assume it was an annex of the main building [mention=12059]Eric Arthur Blair[/mention]

See below.

The post I initially replied to, had asked if the rear of the building still standing was the West Primary. [emoji14]

No, it asked if the picture was the West Primary.

So, yer no' even due an apology. [emoji1787]

Got to say what a great topic this is!! It certainly has got me looking back at Paisley as I remember late 70s up til moving mid 90s. Whether its mrs CS thinking I'm going through some mid life crisis or my kids looking shocked when asking what school I went to, camphill, or where I lived being high flats or tenament on brediland road it's all good stuff.

I have a real liking for Paisley Abbey. Nothing religious in that statement, just the beauty of the architecture, its place and positioning in the town and the peace and tranquillity inside. In addition I've attended a concert in there and the acoustics are superb. I was in the church when the Queen and the Queen Mother attended in 1963 on the 800th anniversary of the building (not quite the current one, but the formation of the building in the first place).

So I do enjoy posting things about the Abbey, as it does hold a pretty special place in the years that I've known the town.

So here are three from different eras and coming from different directions.

1. Coming from Gauze Street with Bank Street immediately on the left which essentially disappeared when the Police Office was built (I know that Bank St still partially exists but it is a bit lost on the other side of the dual carriageway at Mill St. Further on the left was the original Cotton St and on the right is Silk St.

2. From Bridge St looking back towards the south of the building.

3. From the other side of Gauze St, (a great photo) I think looking past the statue of Robert Tannahill in one of our famous foggy days, and yes I can remember when the fog almost appeared green!

approaching Paisley Abbey from the east.jpg

Paisley Abbey from the south.jpg

Paisley Abbey - Great winter shot.jpg

8 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

I was in the church when the Queen and the Queen Mother attended in 1963 on the 800th anniversary of the building (not quite the current one, but the formation of the building in the first place).

Paisley Abbey - Great winter shot.jpg

In 1963, the 23rd BB won the piping championship in Barshaw Park.  And the band marched all the way back to the kirk/Hall (Orr Square/Storie Street) playing and proudly displaying the huge shield.

Because of that victory, the 23rd Band's Pipe Major was asked to assemble a band of all the BEST youth pipers from all the youth organisations in town - BB, Scouts, Sea and Army cadets etc.    To do an Abbey gig for stereotypical free entertainment for benefit of the visiting parasites. 

He assembled that sizeable band and they played brilliantly.

It was the sole time that nepotism had ever functioned in my family. The Pipe Major was mah Faither.  I was/am a shite piper.  

But I was in there, in HIS band

Stuck in the middle again, my flaws hidden by the volume of sweet music.

I'd almost forgotten it but I have a shedloads of family foties to clear out and I noticed the series of pics taken of that championship winning day.  There might be some Barshaw/Glasgow Road street views of (little interest) that I could add to this thread. 

Lucky youse!  That to look forward to... If I get myself organised - ever.

PS within a year I'd moved to the mighty 8th BB (Martyrs Memorial) and - as I could count to 4 - I became the Big Drummer in their Bugle Band.

We won the BB Bugle band championship that following year.  I wasn't asked to do another Royal Performance.  :(