Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Me, too.
in fact, Iโ€™m unsure of their location...
down Blackford Road?
Iโ€™m away to look at Google Earth...
ย 
eta
no sign there so I googled.
โ€demolished in 2008โ€.
Iโ€™d turned my back for 5 minutes...!

Aye, bottom of Blackford Road - my Granny & Granda lived on Blackford Road with my Auntie & Uncle & cousins across the road. Their hooses are gone as well.

1 hour ago, HSS said:

Which were completed in 1960. ๐Ÿ˜‚

When we left Brown St we moved in 1960 to the newly built high flats in Hunterhill - Ardgowan Court. I think the other one was called Blackhall Court.

It was a great place to grow up. Loads of kids to make up teams and a grassy patch between the flats for football every day after school.

40 minutes ago, ianmac said:

When we left Brown St we moved in 1960 to the newly built high flats in Hunterhill - Ardgowan Court. I think the other one was called Blackhall Court.

It was a great place to grow up. Loads of kids to make up teams and a grassy patch between the flats for football every day after school.

Yep, it was Blackhall Court.

ย 

The big bit of grass behind Blackhall Court was turned into a car park.ย  They ended up sticking a "no ball games" signย on each ofย the otherย bits of grass.ย  One of the signs wasย used as a goalpost - only needed aย coat for the other post.ย :lol

16 minutes ago, Slarti said:

Yep, it was Blackhall Court.

ย 

The big bit of grass behind Blackhall Court was turned into a car park.ย  They ended up sticking a "no ball games" signย on each ofย the otherย bits of grass.ย  One of the signs wasย used as a goalpost - only needed aย coat for the other post.ย :lol

They liked putting those sign up, did it make any difference.........naw ๐Ÿ™‚

Auld Gordy
Yeah, couldn't remember his Christian name. His wife Cathy worked in Presto/Safeway in the Piazza.

PS, don't known where these memories are coming from. I'm far to young to know this stuff. [emoji2958]
@Bud the Baker

A few names you may remember from the flats depending on your age.

David Clark, Stephen Morrow & Tommy Johnstone.

2 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Yeah, couldn't remember his Christian name. His wife Cathy worked in Presto/Safeway in the Piazza.

PS, don't known where these memories are coming from. I'm far to young to know this stuff. emoji2958.png
@Bud the Baker

A few names you may remember from the flats depending on your age.

David Clark, Stephen Morrow & Tommy Johnstone.

I played fitba with Stevie Morrow and Gordy's boy Stevie

Poor Stevie Morrow i remember him breaking his leg putting an end to his playing days

Masonic Marbles player these days like your good self

16 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Look at the setts, they are magnificent.

Image may contain: outdoor and text

They are, indeed!ย  :)

But which Junction is that?ย  Looks important with the traffic lights.

I was thinking Maxwelltown/George Street but the looming buildings in the bg on the left don't fit..

And is that a spire on the right? Also looming...

25 minutes ago, antrin said:

They are, indeed!ย  :)

But which Junction is that?ย  Looks important with the traffic lights.

I was thinking Maxwelltown/George Street but the looming buildings in the bg on the left don't fit..

And is that a spire on the right? Also looming...

Lawn Street. Toby Jug on the right hand corner and there is another "tunnel" entrance at High Allans,

Slaters and Plasters.

This location has loads of memories for me right back to my early days of being taken to Love Street and lifted over the turnstiles.ย ๐Ÿ‘Œ

In these days we got pretty good crowds and often well over 10,000 would be at the game and as the game drew to a close, my Dad and I would work our way round to the Greenock Road / Caledonia Street end and when the final whistle went, we would walk (very) quickly, as I seem to remember, as quick as my wee legs would allow, and we belted up to the West End to beat the crowds and get on a bus before it got to the Cross.

Quite a few years later, but still at school Iย went out with a girlfriend who lived in the West End area for a fair amount of time and I had to make several last minute dashes up to the bus stop (in the last photo), in order to catch the last bus home. Sometimes left it a bit late then had the ignominy of a fair hike home and irate parents who were no doubt awake in bed waiting to hear the key in the door........................ happy days.

So, this bus stop has loads and loads of great memories!ย :whistleย (and I even fondly remember the girl fiend):rolleyes:ย ............... and please no re-arranging words and meaning in that last sentence!!๐Ÿ˜‰

ย 

West end Bust stop location.jpg

Approaching West end.jpg

Bus Stop at the west end Opposite view.jpg

Bus Stop at the west end.jpg

Edited by The Original 59er

This location has loads of memories for me right back to my early days of being taken to Love Street and lifted over the turnstiles.ย [emoji108]
In these days we got pretty good crowds and often well over 10,000 would be at the game and as the game drew to a close, my Dad and I would work our way round to the Greenock Road / Caledonia Street end and when the final whistle went, we would walk (very) quickly, as I seem to remember, as quick as my wee legs would allow, and we belted up to the West End to beat the crowds and get on a bus before it got to the Cross.
Quite a few years later, but still at school Iย went out with a girlfriend who lived in the West End area for a fair amount of time and I had to make several last minute dashes up to the bus stop (in the last photo), in order to catch the last bus home. Sometimes left it a bit late then had the ignominy of a fair hike home and irate parents who were no doubt awake in bed waiting to hear the key in the door........................ happy days.
So, this bus stop has loads and loads of great memories!ย :whistleย (and I even fondly remember the girl fiend):rolleyes:ย ............... and please no re-arranging words and meaning in that last sentence!![emoji6]
ย 
2025484991_WestendBuststoplocation.jpg.ab922a47a42e668c6f73e7891eba5b8d.jpg
271390523_ApproachingWestend.thumb.jpg.10a411eabac49ab1001e4e70820cbaba.jpg
1304288641_BusStopatthewestendOppositeview.jpg.b13f0dd7be3c09182db2fcfdcfe33452.jpg
1307460000_BusStopatthewestend.thumb.jpg.6c0d185b9ccf8f7cfd40f37dc091c5de.jpg

I reckon most people would remember a โ€˜fiendโ€™ [emoji3]

Also , good memories of those pictures

Our supporters bus was the Rosebud with my Dad

I also as a teenager rented a wee top floor flat in Sandholes St ยฃ15 a week [emoji4]

2 hours ago, Scott-Leeds said:

I reckon most people would remember a โ€˜fiendโ€™ emoji3.png

I also as a teenager rented a wee top floor flat in Sandholes St ยฃ15 a week emoji4.png

Rosebud had one of the best Pool Teams in the late 1970's early 1980's.

Our Team played them many times with little success.

ย 

On 12/18/2020 at 8:02 PM, Scott-Leeds said:

I reckon most people would remember a โ€˜fiendโ€™ emoji3.png

I also as a teenager rented a wee top floor flat in Sandholes St ยฃ15 a week emoji4.png

My Dad also worked in the Bank of Scotland at Wellmeadow which was on the left hand side of the road coming away from the Cross which from memory was just about opposite Well St. Heย was there a few years, and actually suffered a heart attack in that office and died later the same day.

My Dad also worked in the Bank of Scotland at Wellmeadow which was on the left hand side of the road coming away from the Cross which from memory was just about opposite Well St. Heย was there a few years, and actually suffered a heart attack in that office and died later the same day.

Oh, definitely sorry to hear that โ˜น๏ธ

The West End used to be quite vibrant back in the day.

Many pubs/shops and plenty of people up that end of town.

I did a creative writing evening class about 10 years ago, one of the other students was a guy called Lorenzo. After the course ended I kept in touch for a while via FB and he eventually wrote a one man play about a 2nd or 3rd generation Italian immigrant dealing with the death of his father and inheriting the family chip shop. It was called Cracked Tiles.

He did a full month's run at the Fringe and although I didn't see it the play garnered some very decent reviews.

It turns out he based the story on his real-life experience of working in the Hippy Chippy.

The guy is also a pretty decent illusionist.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PoetoftheImpossible/videos