Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

56 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Did he like it though? Not my favourite chippy. But one I struggle to drive past without smiling. 

Aye I know mate. Sadly so many cafes, pubs and restaurants are going to fold as a result of poor decisions made by those in power at the outset of this pandemic and the systematic failure to change course. 

Could you imagine what the boozers would have been like pre-COVID after we beat Sevco in the cup. Drunk dry no doubt. 

I got the usual grunt of teenage approval so must have been ok. Nevertheless better for me  and fellow saint supporting foxbarite in Carlisle .So my lad got a real treat, saints home match, hippy chippy and a foxbar tour 🤣🤣

Edited by Cumbriansaint72

8 hours ago, Scott-Leeds said:

Oh, definitely sorry to hear that ☹️

The West End used to be quite vibrant back in the day.

Many pubs/shops and plenty of people up that end of town.

Well street was very busy back in the 70s then the by-pass road at the gasworks was built and that was the death knell. Used to get my hair cut in a barbers half way up well street, can’t remember the name but it was very popular. Early 80s we would hit the big apple amusement arcade, it was a big deal back then to play arcade games like Galaxian , space invaders and asteroids. Good times. 

25 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Well street was very busy back in the 70s then the by-pass road at the gasworks was built and that was the death knell. Used to get my hair cut in a barbers half way up well street, can’t remember the name but it was very popular. Early 80s we would hit the big apple amusement arcade, it was a big deal back then to play arcade games like Galaxian , space invaders and asteroids. Good times. 

There was a wee Barbers and a Ladies salon called Marshall's.

The sweety shop at the top selling broken tablet and the penny tray was my first stop after getting of the bus.

28 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Used to go with my dad to play pool etc in the big apple on saturday nights  early 80s only cos no doubt it was easier for him to park car closeby 

3 hours ago, Yflab said:

The Hippy Chippy is still there if that helps. Sadly many of the boozers are shut.

I've used the Hippy Chippy hunners o times in recent decades.

One thing I really miss doon here is the lack of Black Pudden suppers. HC filled that gap many times.

HC also filled other gaps when I also lusted after a Pie Supper. HC also filled that gap many times.

Mutton pies seem unheard of in England, though once upon a time Sainsbury used to do Scotch Pies - imported and delicious.

Yum.    :)

Mostly these have been visits later in the evening, on the road home.

What was the name of the arcade opposite I think Kennedy’s on Causeyside Street in Paisley early 80s?
There was another place in Shuttle St that had loads of pool and snooker tables. Cannae remember the name.

FFS, I told you the name of the place in Shuttle Street about 6 months ago. [emoji3061]

https://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php?/topic/50762-Sad-farewell-Willie#entry1726735

I lived in Clavering St from 1971 till 1976.

Well St had everything...a supermarket (Galbraith's...ok, Wellmeadow), hunners of bakers (2 Govan's and a McMillan's in Well St and another Govan's in Broomlands), about half a dozen newsagents, loads of clothes shops selling all yer  star jumpers, Y cardigans, Simon shirts and BCR gear, a butchers and 2 roon the corner, Cardosi's chippy, a fishmonger, a pub and numerous others nearby.

5 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Well St had everything...a supermarket (Galbraith's...ok, Wellmeadow), hunners of bakers (2 Govan's and a McMillan's in Well St and another Govan's in Broomlands), about half a dozen newsagents, loads of clothes shops selling all yer  star jumpers, Y cardigans, Simon shirts and BCR gear, a butchers and 2 roon the corner, Cardosi's chippy, a fishmonger, a pub and numerous others nearby.

No - you were right.

Galbraith’s in Well Street.

about halfway up on the left hand side.

Quite a big shop that went a long way back and next door a shuttered other shop, which held all the stock.

(I rode a bike - with a huge basket mounted over/around the front wheel - delivering orders all over Paisley for a couple of years, after school on Fridays and also on Saturday mornings.  That would be 1963~65.)

Edited by antrin

7 hours ago, antrin said:

No - you were right.

Galbraith’s in Well Street.

about halfway up on the left hand side.

Quite a big shop that went a long way back and next door a shuttered other shop, which held all the stock.

(I rode a bike - with a huge basket mounted over/around the front wheel - delivering orders all over Paisley for a couple of years, after school on Fridays and also on Saturday mornings.  That would be 1963~65.)

Report of accident in Well Street cica 1963

1608647182805667835677.jpg

12 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

There was another home bakers next door to the Govan bakers name escapes me at the moment, think it maybe Morrisons,  can anyone remember the Boston cafe in well st 

58 minutes ago, saint in exile said:

1307460000_BusStopatthewestend.thumb.jpg.6c0d185b9ccf8f7cfd40f37dc091c5de.jpg

My Gran took me to Copstick's Dentist in that building when I was wee. Scarred me for life as far a dentists went. Terrified for ever more.

When I went to Copsticks they were on the corner of Causeyside st and Gordon street . Right above the Lews store. 

30 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

When I went to Copsticks they were on the corner of Causeyside st and Gordon street . Right above the Lews store. 

He took a tooth out for me around 1978/79 while i was out with the gas.

Told the wife never to bring me back due to me shouting and bawling while he was trying to remove it.

My gum was still bleeding for days afterward.

He would have been better working as a butcher rather then a dentist.

**** of a man. 

3 hours ago, hamlet said:

Report of accident in Well Street cica 1963

1608647182805667835677.jpg

That's genuinely scary.

I wrote in here, back in the day,(Feb 27, 2012) about how I came off at the Cenotaph lights at the Cross, with a full load as the bike skited on the cobbles. I was on my way to Auchentorlie Quadrant.  Was helped to get the loaded bike and basket (with damaged goods!) back upright then get on my way.

Still vivid.  Quite a clatter.  I was lucky there was no cars, buses or trams around.

Flying Officer Copstick was definitely on the corner of Causeyside st and Gordon Street and it's the only dental practice I've ever attended albeit he retired in the early 80's I think.  I believe he was RAF trained, probably during the war, so they might have skipped a few tutorials.  He was not the most gentle of dentists it's true but when you first visit a dentist as a kid in the mid-50's, there were a lot of "horse doctors" plying their trade.  I think thats probably why dentists are feared by many people.  I had an old boss who was commissioned for his national service in the 50's.  After his first visit to an army dentist he had all his teeth taken out and got gnashers instead.  They basically terrified him.

3 hours ago, rabuddies said:

Flying Officer Copstick was definitely on the corner of Causeyside st and Gordon Street and it's the only dental practice I've ever attended albeit he retired in the early 80's I think.  I believe he was RAF trained, probably during the war, so they might have skipped a few tutorials.  He was not the most gentle of dentists it's true but when you first visit a dentist as a kid in the mid-50's, there were a lot of "horse doctors" plying their trade.  I think thats probably why dentists are feared by many people.  I had an old boss who was commissioned for his national service in the 50's.  After his first visit to an army dentist he had all his teeth taken out and got gnashers instead.  They basically terrified him.

I was dragged to spence's in barrhead(above shopping row) main street. I only used to know where I was  going once I we were on the old mc gills bus. He was a bloody monster.

23 hours ago, Yflab said:

What was the name of the arcade opposite I think Kennedy’s on Causeyside Street in Paisley early 80s?

There was another place in Shuttle St that had loads of pool and snooker tables. Cannae remember the name.

Was it leisureland that was at the top of storie street?

Come to think of it, storie street baths was quite a big complex, 4 different pools if I remember right.

24 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Was it leisureland that was at the top of storie street?

Come to think of it, storie street baths was quite a big complex, 4 different pools if I remember right.

MEn’s pool, women’s pool and the long pools way at the back.  3?

it also had rows and rows of baths near that 3rd pool.

there was steam rooms, sauna, Turkish also.