Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

7 minutes ago, antrin said:

MEn’s pool, women’s pool and the long pools way at the back.  3?

it also had rows and rows of baths near that 3rd pool.

there was steam rooms, sauna, Turkish also.

It had a big swimming comp pool that was rarely open to public If I remember right

3 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Yes LeisureLand at top of Storie Street. Still going (pre COVID). Loads of pool and snooker tables upstairs at very cheap hire.

Allans chip shop still at top of Storie Street. Used to live getting a poke of chips for the walk home after swimming.

I’m still hopeful that @Cookie Monster can name the arcade that was on the opposite side of Causeyside Street to Kennedy’s. 

I had a misspent youth.

To be fair I was trying to picture it all day and to where it was given I've been away for over 25 years(apart from when I can fit a game in) all day at work. Probably should concentrate more on what I'm supposed to be doing, god knows how many people I've driven past at bus stops🙂

Flying Officer Copstick was definitely on the corner of Causeyside st and Gordon Street and it's the only dental practice I've ever attended albeit he retired in the early 80's I think.  I believe he was RAF trained, probably during the war, so they might have skipped a few tutorials.  He was not the most gentle of dentists it's true but when you first visit a dentist as a kid in the mid-50's, there were a lot of "horse doctors" plying their trade.  I think thats probably why dentists are feared by many people.  I had an old boss who was commissioned for his national service in the 50's.  After his first visit to an army dentist he had all his teeth taken out and got gnashers instead.  They basically terrified him.

Aye that’s correct he was RAF and always had the big moustache, last I saw him was about ten years ago driving his sport’s car lol coming onto Neiston Rd from Thornly park he had big house there. He must be dead now I’ve not spoke his son in years.

14 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Yes LeisureLand at top of Storie Street. Still going (pre COVID). Loads of pool and snooker tables upstairs at very cheap hire.

Allans chip shop still at top of Storie Street. Used to live getting a poke of chips for the walk home after swimming.

I’m still hopeful that @Cookie Monster can name the arcade that was on the opposite side of Causeyside Street to Kennedy’s. 

I had a misspent youth.

Anyway, poke of chips, I haven't heard that for a long time🤣🤣 going to have to use it now and confuse even more daft cumbrians🤣🤣🤣

26 minutes ago, ironsaints87 said:

Now I didn’t know that!emoji848.png But I have say his daughter was very hot emoji57.pngespecially to a teenage boy , she was a few years older than me I used tease her brother about his sister emoji23.png

You coulod have been in there!  I think she plays with two feet as they say.  Has written a lot about female sexuality and owned the Erotic Review for a while and still has a senior job there.  Oooh Matron!

2 hours ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

I was dragged to spence's in barrhead(above shopping row) main street. I only used to know where I was  going once I we were on the old mc gills bus. He was a bloody monster.

Spence , in Barrhead Main Street was mine also, 50 years ago.

On 12/21/2020 at 8:38 PM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

I did a creative writing evening class about 10 years ago, one of the other students was a guy called Lorenzo. After the course ended I kept in touch for a while via FB and he eventually wrote a one man play about a 2nd or 3rd generation Italian immigrant dealing with the death of his father and inheriting the family chip shop. It was called Cracked Tiles.

He did a full month's run at the Fringe and although I didn't see it the play garnered some very decent reviews.

It turns out he based the story on his real-life experience of working in the Hippy Chippy.

The guy is also a pretty decent illusionist.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PoetoftheImpossible/videos

I attended a series of creative writing classes in the Central Library on the High Street in the 1970s.  It was hosted by James Kelman.

3 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Yeah, was a pub for a while. Never really went in there. Full of Yflab sorts. emoji14.png

Yeah same here I never went in it much, but used too pass it on my way to school every morning ( St Aelreds ), I was the ultimate arcade game freak but that place was mainly full of fruit machine's, the big apple was my regular haunt..

1 hour ago, Helmettroll said:

The Caberet I think it was called, it's now a shop that sell bikes, or at least was the last time I noticed..

It’s not exactly across from Kennedys tho,no wonder naebuddie knew what balfy was on about.

Was it also called Joken for a while?

4 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Ach. Being honest it was a bolt hole used during school lunchtimes. I moved south after school, before I was “legally” allowed to enter a boozer. It’s not an area of town I’ve been back to much since I returned up the road. Was it kinda opposite a boozer called Corkers or what that a rename job on Kennedy’s. 

Anyway I don’t visit those pubs as they are not Saints boozers. FTOF. COYS.

Yeah,it was across from Corkers.Kennedys  is on corner of Orchard St.

I too am a lover of pinball machines.

11 hours ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

This thread has become quite chatty - great anecdotes!

This thread is great, since nobody is trying to prove he/she knows everything about everything while insulting others posters with different opinions with threats and verbal abuse.

Long may it continue  :)

On 12/22/2020 at 4:19 PM, Callum Gilhooley said:

When I went to Copsticks they were on the corner of Causeyside st and Gordon street . Right above the Lews store. 

Very possible it wasn't Copsticks, but it was definitely a dentist in that building. I remember she bought me a wee metal model plane, a Gloster Javelin, for being a brave wee boy! There must have been a toy shop close by.

Now reliably informed the Dentist was called Dr Storie.  I started going to Copsticks much later above Lews.

Edited by saint in exile
more info