Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

24 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Tried to see if pic would move over a bit more to left to show mcgowan st. Company I stated my apprenticeship was at the bottom of it

Erm...ok :rolleyes: McGown St must be at least another football pitch length from the left edge of the picture.

The floodlights were erected in 1959 so the picture  obviously post-dates that. Victoria St and Albert St are behind the North Bank. Albert St has been partially demolished.

2 minutes ago, Yflab said:

I’ll be honest. I was in the oval shaped Love St so many times before the 1979 redevelopment, but for the life of me I can’t remember the old Love St terracing before it was transformed. I can always remember the Caledonia Street end, but not the old Love St. Maybe it’s because many of the TV highlights of the Love St end are of the squared off ends.

This game shows the old Love St end. I was there that day but still don’t remember it.

The previous season we had had big crowds (15k v Clydebank, 16k v DU) but that day I was gobsmacked at how packed the ground looked, almost 25k in attendance. Yet it was largely unchanged from only 9 years previous when almost 43k crammed in.

13 minutes ago, Yflab said:

I was at both games. But as I say the memories I have of the Love St end are the modern squared off ends which IIRC was designed by @Sue Denim father who had plans to further develop the ground. It’s documented in the Centenary book on Saints. 

Yes,  Mr. Heathwood was a bit of a visionary other than his predictions that a  1200 capacity stand would be built between the Main Stand and the Caledonia St end and an 1800 seat stand at the Caledonia St end were as ridiculous as some of his son's posts on here.

10 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

The north end of Wardrop St is rthe junction with George St. I believe he wants the east side of Wardrop St.

Ach!    And Oooops!

all my Paisley life THAT plagued me.

as a wee boy I knew that the highlands were to the north of the Lowlands, so I always assumed that the Braes were to the north...    ....and so Glenburn and Foxbar were gateways to the Highlands!

It’s only for Paisley that I still have this weird blank mapping assumption..

how embarrassing!  
Ta, EAB.

4 minutes ago, pod said:

Are they up there knocking it doon with ball peen hammers.  🤣

They are!

Pretty much - only when it reached a couple of stories would the crane with claw bucket or swinging ball be able to batter the stanes doon.

Admirable navvies!  :)

1 hour ago, antrin said:

They are!

Pretty much - only when it reached a couple of stories would the crane with claw bucket or swinging ball be able to batter the stanes doon.

Admirable navvies!  :)

Amazing the things that come back into mind looking at some of these pictures. Being dragged round Goldberg's by parents, Tandy was a no go as they asked for address at every sale and mum didn't want 'their crap' sent in post☺. Saints shop was visited if I was with my dad on his own.

8 minutes ago, Yflab said:

My two favourite shops in Paisley were The Saints shop and Listen the record store. Boots used to have a decent collection of LPs to IIRC.

Woolworths was quite good in its day for music. Remember the co-op in causeyside st used to take my mum and gran an eternity to get round,  same as arnotts where I can still see me, my dad AND grandad made to stand in middle of a wide isle so we didn't break anything😂😂

Woolworths was quite good in its day for music. Remember the co-op in causeyside st used to take my mum and gran an eternity to get round,  same as arnotts where I can still see me, my dad AND grandad made to stand in middle of a wide isle so we didn't break anything[emoji23][emoji23]

Was going through old stuff and so much you talk about is referenced in this letter sent to my gran.

Image~2.jpeg

1 hour ago, Yflab said:

I don’t remember every buying anything in Arnotts but it was a great route through to the Saints shop from where I lived avoiding all that crystal glass on the ground floor. 😂 

Don't think we ever got anything from there, just a lot of whingeing about how much things cost and not to break anything!!!

1 hour ago, Yflab said:

I don’t remember every buying anything in Arnotts but it was a great route through to the Saints shop from where I lived avoiding all that crystal glass on the ground floor. 😂 

Any excuse to nip through the ladies underwear section.:whistle

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

I remember that.I was brought up South Side of the town and one of my mates dad used to park in South Campbell St............until the chimney was blown off St Charles Chapel and landed on the roof of his car.

Dont know if it went down as an Act of God.🙄