Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

I slept right through it, first I knew of it was looking out the (first floor) window and seeing a hut lying in the middle of the road. Each side was still attached to the roof but splayed out on each side as if a giant had played it on the road then pressed his (or her or their) foot down on the roof.

7 hours ago, HSS said:

I remember that.I was brought up South Side of the town and one of my mates dad used to park in South Campbell St............until the chimney was blown off St Charles Chapel and landed on the roof of his car.

Dont know if it went down as an Act of God.🙄

The debris in Andrews Street was everywhere but the real fun was in the Fountain gardens.

Massive trees uprooted, a great playground for me and my Action Man. :thumbs2

I do remember Springbank Road was like a scene from a war film, hard to take in what had happened, being only 10. 

Back on the night of the 14th/15th January, 1968, 50 years ago tonight, Paisley, Glasgow and much of the West of Scotland suffered some seriously destructive storm damage which resulting in whole streets of Victoria Street, Albert Street and much of Springbank Road being evacuated, cars wrecked and hundreds of thousand of pounds worth of damage to property. The Springbank area tenements were beyond repair and had to be demolished. Ferguslie Park had over 100 houses damaged. There was much damage to the tenements of the Broomlands Street and Well Street area, as well as to the tenements of the East End. Here is some reportage from the Paisley Daily Express on the incident

9 minutes ago, guinness said:

I was about 10 and slept through it. Woke up and looked across the road,Greenlaw Avenue, and one close had had the roof torn off.

We were quite lucky being on the bottom flat, I faintly remember being told to get into my parents bed, their bed was in the recess and well away from the windows.

The noise was something else, and, as I said, being 10 I just snuggled under the covers till morning. 

Edited by faraway saint

"Lyons House", Glasgow Rd,
The building hasn't changed at all, only the shops are different.
138799315_3524859737627035_6157707195257331966_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100%26ccb=2%26_nc_sid=0debeb%26_nc_ohc=VNdArA-YDrwAX-nAa8-%26_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx%26oh=03abe08898a6bbaabe5373b82c60aa85%26oe=6025AFEE&key=a7cd810687979078fd4005d6404634f4406a3ad2940e1cff6d6f268157af88fb
Present day...
image.png.cbfe6605ed39f3f3bfed773007c087ef.png
In a weird coincidence, I came out of Gleddoch Butchers, put the stuff in the car, decided to have a fag and a wee look in here while hanging about, and this was the first post I saw while standing right next to the very same building.

It's an omen, I tells ya. No idea what it's presaging but I know an omen when it slaps me in the face like that...

[emoji846]