Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

1 hour ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Hey @antrin, your old school

Image may contain: sky, plant, tree, outdoor and nature

Ta, EAB.  :)

Taken from the allotments below it looks like.

we played most of our local fitba on that flat bit of street, there.

(just above the “as seen on”)

good surface and no through traffic - and the noise annoyed fewer people living nearby.

(I’d left the school by the time that pic was taken.)

The building being demolished is certainly a different one from the other.

And the shape of the grassed area with a  flower bed is different.

The benches in the demolition pic are backed onto a straight wall whereas...

...the two auld Buddies are standing beside a curved wall enclosing a flower bed. 

eta: I don't recall "Glasgow's" at all....

Edited by antrin

2 hours ago, Yflab said:

Anyone remember Galbraith’s? Seem to remember one in Glasgow Rd opposite the Sherwood chippy as a youngster which I believe is now a funeral directors. Think it used to be a Tool Hire shop for many years. Think it might have ceased trading around the time FineFare took up residence at the old ice rink site in Seedhill.

No doubt @Eric Arthur Blair will correct me as I’m probably wrong. 

All over the town. had one in Braehead Road.  Galbraith's Store - Paisley Scotland

Galbraith supermarkets - Wikipedia

Edited by pod

3 hours ago, antrin said:

The building being demolished is certainly a different one from the other.

And the shape of the grassed area with a  flower bed is different.

The benches in the demolition pic are backed onto a straight wall whereas...

...the two auld Buddies are standing beside a curved wall enclosing a flower bed. 

eta: I don't recall "Glasgow's" at all....

The angle at which the two photos are taken are different. I suspect that the Sally Ann had moved to their new premise in Broomlands in the intervening years.

Anyone remember Galbraith’s? Seem to remember one in Glasgow Rd opposite the Sherwood chippy as a youngster which I believe is now a funeral directors. Think it used to be a Tool Hire shop for many years. Think it might have ceased trading around the time FineFare took up residence at the old ice rink site in Seedhill.
No doubt [mention=12059]Eric Arthur Blair[/mention] will correct me as I’m probably wrong. 
The building which now houses the funeral directors was Gillespie's car showroom. When they moved out it split into 2 units, Azad and then Global Video on the right, the one on the left lay empty for years. I can't recall it ever being a Galbraiths.

5612207_46862133.jpg&key=3f2720052b441ea57e3c5aa5bce2ce021606501beda65572d6e365663d5c1807
I was sent to that building by the school careers office in 1985 for a job interview.

Stupid bassa's sent me to Blacklaw Lane instead of Blackhall Lane.

If I hadn't used my brain I could have ended up a spark at Morts Electical Services instead of a draughtsman all those years ago. [emoji848]

1 hour ago, Yflab said:

You are probably right. As you know my memory is goosed. I certainly don’t remember it anything but the places you mentioned from mid 70s onwards. It must have been in the high street that I remember getting taken too! I still hate shopping to this day!

When did FineFare open up in Seedhill?

Long before I moved there, the Ice Rink was demolished in 1970 so it must have been early 70s .

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

If I hadn't used my brain I could have ended up a spark at Morts Electical Services instead of a draughtsman all those years ago. emoji848.png

I take umbrage to that remark. :( I served my time with Balfour Kilpatrick.   

Nearly chucked it to be a draughtsman, but it was a drayman they were looking for.  

2 hours ago, smcc said:

The angle at which the two photos are taken are different. I suspect that the Sally Ann had moved to their new premise in Broomlands in the intervening years.

Aye, the angle is different but it's two different beds - and not the same building.  The architecture is different - look at the windows on the floors between the bay windows.  Three on each floor in one pic and only two in the other.  The big protuberance on the roof might have helped pin it down, but you can't see it on both.

Foreby... if it was the same building, then Glasgow's has swapped places with the Liberal Association - cos neither is in the red sandstone colour of the nice Sally Army building.

Call me a pedant, but...

...I am.

18 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

I asked my Mum, she says Glasgow's moved further down Cotton St away from the Salvation Army.

There was a "Glasgow's of Paisley" facing Dunn Square (next to Clydesdale Bank) in, I think, late 80's/early 90's.  Was that the same company?  I had never heard of them until that shop opened.  Dunno what it sold, was never in it.

3 minutes ago, Slarti said:

There was a "Glasgow's of Paisley" facing Dunn Square (next to Clydesdale Bank) in, I think, late 80's/early 90's.  Was that the same company?  I had never heard of them until that shop opened.  Dunno what it sold, was never in it.

Don't recall one from the 80s/90s.

The one in Cotton St sold toys and prams.

When did the name change to castlehead? Or should I say, when did the concrete shambles that I went to in foxbar take the name camphill?
About 1971 I think. Then they knocked the old one down and built Castlehead.

Might be a few years out there. Can't remember if my brother had to do his last year at the new one or whether he was in the first 1st years at the new one. So somewhere between 67/68 and 71/72. Mibbe. [emoji38]