Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

1 hour ago, saint in exile said:

I left Camphill school in June 1971, and it was the new building in Foxbar. I spent a couple of years there, so we must have decamped from the one in Castlehead about 1969.

I started  in 1969 and we weren't the first, first year at the new school so, as I said previously, I reckon the first intake at the new school must have been 1968.

Edited by stlucifer

I started  in 1969 and we weren't the first, first year at the new school so, as I said previously, I reckon the first intake at the new school must have been 1968.
Yeah, all I'm really picking up from this discussion is that there are a lot if auld cunts on this forum. [emoji1787]

Camphill in Foxbar opened in August 1968 as did the Institution I was being educated in although it had turned into a High School?  As for football boots on a blaze pitch - what else could you wear?  There wasn't a range of sports shoes available in those days.  My first football boots circa 1963 had a moulded sole, covered the ankles and a round toe (and were about two sizes too big so I could grow into them).   I didn't get a "low cut", 6 stud boot (Mitre) until about 1967 and they lasted after leaving school and my final pair were early 70's (Slazenger I think) playing works football till the mid 70's when I knackered my knee and was told I could get a cartilage operation in about 7 or 8 years on the NHS if the pain got so bad I had trouble sleeping?  They said it was the fault of low cut football boots.  Only other options were gym shoes and baseball boots and try kicking a Mouldmaster with either of these.

I did get a pair of Adidas trainers in 1969 (Samba?) but they were part of the "hippy a bit" fashion scene and the never kicked a ball at that price??

4 hours ago, rabuddies said:

Camphill in Foxbar opened in August 1968 as did the Institution I was being educated in although it had turned into a High School?  As for football boots on a blaze pitch - what else could you wear?  There wasn't a range of sports shoes available in those days.  My first football boots circa 1963 had a moulded sole, covered the ankles and a round toe (and were about two sizes too big so I could grow into them).   I didn't get a "low cut", 6 stud boot (Mitre) until about 1967 and they lasted after leaving school and my final pair were early 70's (Slazenger I think) playing works football till the mid 70's when I knackered my knee and was told I could get a cartilage operation in about 7 or 8 years on the NHS if the pain got so bad I had trouble sleeping?  They said it was the fault of low cut football boots.  Only other options were gym shoes and baseball boots and try kicking a Mouldmaster with either of these.

I did get a pair of Adidas trainers in 1969 (Samba?) but they were part of the "hippy a bit" fashion scene and the never kicked a ball at that price??

In a very literal way given what there is available now, blaze pitches were all weather. Mind you when the athletics track appeared that was my cue to start to find ways to get out of the horror of athletics. 

9 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

In a very literal way given what there is available now, blaze pitches were all weather. Mind you when the athletics track appeared that was my cue to start to find ways to get out of the horror of athletics. 

Not always.

I remember playing a school league match on a completely unplayable blaze pitch which was half covered in two inches of solid ice and the game went ahead. I was the only one without trainers and played with studs. I was like a newborn baby deer. Couldn't run, couldn't stop, couldn't turn. Amazing what kids were forced to play in those days.

Just now, oaksoft said:

Not always.

I remember playing a school league match on a completely unplayable blaze pitch which was half covered in two inches of solid ice and the game went ahead. I was the only one without trainers and played with studs. I was like a newborn baby deer. Couldn't run, couldn't stop, couldn't turn. Amazing what kids were forced to play in those days.

Character building😂

12 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

Image may contain: outdoor

Wow!  the Afton’s getting another name change by the look of it!

is that the sem-mythical view of Wardrop Steet’s North end that you sought?

ps 

just noticed that pesky flying saucer still hovering above Barr Street!

Edited by antrin

21 minutes ago, Slarti said:
31 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:
139726467_706091766775179_168669474650524419_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111%26ccb=2%26_nc_sid=825194%26_nc_ohc=MDhcrlTXwYgAX84rUxV%26_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.fna%26oh=4df5d9d8e9b2f879f5363b77c40c7652%26oe=60301F9B&key=c5d7888ac1bca629e34f569be0fa986a0990e2f48dfd7bb0dbe73ce04945905e

Canal Street at Causeyside?

Yes Sir.

19 minutes ago, antrin said:

Wow!  the Afton’s getting another name change by the look of it!

is that the sem-mythical view of Wardrop Steet’s North end that you sought?

ps 

just noticed that pesky flying saucer still hovering above Barr Street!

Nearly.  The tenements on the left are being built, it seems, according to the picture description.