Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

1 hour ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

That's the south end of Wardrop St. As I told you only last week (and you replied!!!) the north end of Wardrop St is the junction with George St.

Fuxake!!!

I'm sorry!  :lol:

I even THOUGHT about it so I widnae f**kup again.  Sheesh!

Of course, it IS!

No more views of Wardrop Street, please.  I don't want to disappear up my own err(or)se...

1 hour ago, HSS said:

Any idea a year for this?

Tram lines still on the ground, but I can't really see the power lines above - so after the last tram in 1957, but before they lifted the tramlines and/or covered the causey/cobbles...?

And from comparing the following old maps it's also  before 1969, and maybe around 1961. And the wee boy on the right has LONG trousers/jeans..

I blew it up but can't read the newspaper hoardings for further clues.

Side by side georeferenced maps viewer - Map images - National Library of Scotland (nls.uk)

Someone must know when those buildings were demolished?

And Stirling Street vanished.

Bonzo lived nearby.  Ask him...  :)

Fuxake!!!
I'm sorry!  [emoji38]
I even THOUGHT about it so I widnae f**kup again.  Sheesh!

Of course, it IS!
No more views of Wardrop Street, please.  I don't want to disappear up my own err(or)se...
Haha, not so fast. Here's 20-12 Wardrop St (west side) and the junction with Canal St.FB_IMG_1611591242843.thumb.jpeg.d7b76a808fdde351022ed1634ad43300.jpegFB_IMG_1611591234953.thumb.jpeg.2261b35cd8705f0d9c34d96fe6bd6196.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Haha, not so fast. Here's 20-12 Wardrop St (west side) and the junction with Canal St.FB_IMG_1611591242843.thumb.jpeg.d7b76a808fdde351022ed1634ad43300.jpegFB_IMG_1611591234953.thumb.jpeg.2261b35cd8705f0d9c34d96fe6bd6196.jpeg

Eric!  I've been hoping to see this photo of the wee shop for...anyway, I'm so glad its arrived.  

I would be about 2 or 3 years old when our family became homeless.  My father managed to make an arrangement with the owner for us to move into the shop which was boarded up with planks of wood.  Stone floor!  Eventually, we moved into one of the tenements in the picture (don't know which one) which was luxurious in comparison.  It had gas lighting in the close and in the two rooms we lived in.  Can anyone beat that?:thumbs2

Thanks, Eric.

39 minutes ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

Stone floor!  Eventually, we moved into one of the tenements in the picture (don't know which one) which was luxurious in comparison.  It had gas lighting in the close and in the two rooms we lived in.  Can anyone beat that?:thumbs2

I doubt that anyBuddie else on the forum was alive in the 1850s...

When did ye move so upmarket to yon palace in Barclay Street?

40 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Just read that tribute to the photographer.

It felt like it was a tribute to my late uncle. He also survived the Glen Cinema disaster, was a member of Paisley Colour Photographic Society, worked in Singer during the war and worked in Anchor Mill after the war.

My uncle was born in 1920. I wonder if they knew each other?

20 minutes ago, pod said:

At least renfrewshire council and development company have a good vision for paisley, unlike down here we have 2 county councils that don't seem to have any vision at all.