Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

20 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

This is what it looked like when I lived in the West End early 70s. The tenement is gone and you can see The Ogilvie Club behind where it stood. Gallows Green Rd wasn't built until the 90s.
FB_IMG_1612512667574.jpeg

The modern white / blue building to the right of the tenement was the head office of Semple Cochrane. They became a big company in the 1980s / 1990s but the business collapsed in some sort of financial scandal (allegedly).

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The modern white / blue building to the right of the tenement was the head office of Semple Cochrane. They became a big company in the 1980s / 1990s but the business collapsed in some sort of financial scandal (allegedly).

Do you have an electrical connection to remember that. 

You were supposed to take them out and put plastic one in instead. I remember the refs checking your studs and not letting you on if they were aluminium
If you were officiating at a blaes park it was wise to let the players pass you on there way out as you could hear if they'd changed their boots after they'd been checked. [emoji6]

On 2/7/2021 at 10:48 PM, Cookie Monster said:

If you were officiating at a blaes park it was wise to let the players pass you on there way out as you could hear if they'd changed their boots after they'd been checked. emoji6.png

Yeah and I rember how fing sharp they got. Ouch 

1 hour ago, HSS said:

Must admit I’ve never heard of the Barshaw Bandstand which was removed in the mid 60s due to vandalism.It was situated where the zoo used to be.

BD5BB16E-6315-4B64-997F-3F9D2049889B.jpeg

If I remember correctly the mini zoo did not take the place of the actual Bandstand.

The Bandstand was bang in the middle of the park. That looks like the Bowling Green in the background  

12 minutes ago, hamlet said:

If I remember correctly the mini zoo did not take the place of the actual Bandstand.

The Bandstand was bang in the middle of the park. That looks like the Bowling Green in the background  

Glasgow Rd directly behind the bandstand.

Looks more like tennis courts to me, but what do I know?

Edit: Or are you talking about the left hand side?

I hope this helps?

image.png.5581e2f5161d5f573a9fea3de2949042.png

From (shaky) memory, I also kinda recall tennis courts here (beside the road marked A737) and bowling green/s to the west of the pond...?

(The space for BB pipe and bugle band championships was at the spot marked 'bandstand'.)

Edited by antrin

22 minutes ago, antrin said:

I hope this helps?

image.png.5581e2f5161d5f573a9fea3de2949042.png

From (shaky) memory, I also kinda recall tennis courts here (beside the road marked A737) and bowling green/s to the west of the pond...?

(The space for BB pipe and bugle band championships was at the spot marked 'bandstand'.)

Tennis courts were at Glasgow Rd side and Bowling Green was at the Arkleston Rd side.