Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

1 hour ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

No, there have been 9 cinemas in Paisley, you've posted pictures of them all now.

Aye...  enjoyed going to them all - except the Bug Hut.  I went there - seldom.

Think the BH showed the same stuff as was on in the Alex and West End (for which I was lucky to have freebies twice a week - and the programmes changed twice a week, too) so I'd little need to wander as far as Lawn Street.

1 hour ago, Slarti said:

Right, now he's to start on pictures of every pub that has ever existed in Paisley. :D

Some pictures must be watercolours (or maybe neolithic etchings) as hunners o' mullyins o' Paisley pubs must have closed before cameras were invented.

48 minutes ago, pod said:

I'll get on to that :double   :rolleyes:  :lol:

I look forward to that.   🍻

Edited by antrin

3 hours ago, pod said:

See the source image

The Cove Club to the right - that bloke is just passing it.

Used to enjoy The Sabres in there occasionally.  Great taste in music (ok - Blues, same as me)

The Mavericks were surprising regulars (from perhaps flawed memory... as they seemed to do the Church Halls circuit in the main.)

Best nights were with The Beatstalkers.  A brilliant, tight awfy cool band...

Lots of good bands around: at the time - living through it - we didn't appreciate how fortunate that was...

I went to Glasgow a lot, but knew it wasn't all that much better than in Paisley.

From that collage I saw Psychedelic Furs, Defiant Pose and Altered Images at the Bungalow. I'm pretty sure I also saw E&TBM but not 100%.

Also saw The Skids, Orange Juice and many others. Me, @herman_munster and @Brian1877 used to go several times a week until it all went tits up in 1981.

Edited by Eric Arthur Blair

From that montage I saw Psychedelic Furs, Defiant Pose and Altered Images at the Bungalow. I'm pretty sure I also saw E&TBM but not 100%.
Also saw The Skids, Orange Juice and many others. Me, [mention=14721]herman_munster[/mention] and [mention=5369]Brian1877[/mention] used to go several times a week until it all went tits up in 1981.
What happened? I never started drinking in it till about the late 80's.

2 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:
9 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:
From that montage I saw Psychedelic Furs, Defiant Pose and Altered Images at the Bungalow. I'm pretty sure I also saw E&TBM but not 100%.
Also saw The Skids, Orange Juice and many others. Me, [mention=14721]herman_munster[/mention] and [mention=5369]Brian1877[/mention] used to go several times a week until it all went tits up in 1981.

What happened? I never started drinking in it till about the late 80's.

The riots in England caused a lot of chaos regarding pub venues in 1981 with so called "Oi" bands being associated with the racism that abounded at that time, even though there was very little civil disturbance in Scotland.

Cue loads of local authorities revoking entertainment licences. By the time everything had calmed down The Bungalow had new owners, had changed to The Stag's Head and they had no interest in hosting a music venue.

3 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

The riots in England caused a lot of chaos regarding pub venues in 1981 with so called "Oi" bands being associated with the racism that abounded at that time, even though there was very little civil disturbance in Scotland.

Cue loads of local authorities revoking entertainment licences. By the time everything had calmed down The Bungalow had new owners, had changed to The Stag's Head and they had no interest in hosting a music venue.

Sadly I'm too young to have frequented The Bungalow in its heyday.

I liked The Stag's Head though.

It had a video juke box, which used to get a lot of plays of J.Geils band , "Angel in the centre fold", and ZZ Top, "She's got legs", for some reason.:rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Sadly I'm too young to have frequented The Bungalow in its heyday.

I liked The Stag's Head though.

It had a video juke box, which used to get a lot of plays of J.Geils band , "Angel in the centre fold", and ZZ Top, "She's got legs", for some reason.:rolleyes:

It was also quite handy for a lunchtime pint when on day release at Reid Kerr😀

More so a bit later for a quick pint or two after finishing dayshift at gx superbowl.

6 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

It was also quite handy for a lunchtime pint when on day release at Reid Kerr😀

More so a bit later for a quick pint or two after finishing dayshift at gx superbowl.

I remember going in there, in a completely shattered state, after the dreaded team that will not be named beginning with "H" game. A lot of expletives were being uttered by myself, when some Saints, fans who had been in when we arrived, said that we should think ourselves lucky that we still got through.

Turns out they had left early.................................................................................

I really did hate to be the bringer of bad news on that occasion. 

Edited by FTOF