Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

6 hours ago, mcd54 said:

It was one of my uncles who told me years ago it was Monaco but I've never seen any evidence to back this up.

When I attended the JNI in the 1950s we always knew it as the Monaco. It was notionally out of bounds for school pupils but many were undeterrred by this prohibition.

4 minutes ago, smcc said:

When I attended the JNI in the 1950s we always knew it as the Monaco. It was notionally out of bounds for school pupils but many were undeterrred by this prohibition.

When I attended the JNI in the 1950s we had never heard of it up at the primary but when I attended the JNI in the 1960s we always knew it as the Manac.  All on the same theme but just a different interpretation.  

1 minute ago, HSS said:

Aye but did the Monaco/Manac become the TUC? 🤔

I'm no sure what it became?

In fact I don't even recall what the TUC was?

The Manaca was just up the wee brae that emerged onto the high street almost across from Storie Street.

I think McKays fabrics had a shop on the right hand side as you looked from the High Street. 

The Manaca was further up, to the right then left as I remember. 

50 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

The Manaca was just up the wee brae that emerged onto the high street almost across from Storie Street.

I think McKays fabrics had a shop on the right hand side as you looked from the High Street. 

Trades Union Club and it sounds as if it was the same place.

2 minutes ago, HSS said:

Trades Union Club and it sounds as if it was the same place.

Not sure if  was a club as such. Saying that because i'm sure I would signed up to join. Some form of Union use 

rings a bell.

The snooker club was a nice warm place for the worthies to pass their time.

There was money involved with a game played with 4 skittles surrounding the blue spot and a skittle in the middle

which had to be knocked down without knocking over  the outside skittles.

You had to be a "player" to get the downstairs room.

15 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I've been corrected, it was Remnant Kings, silly me, my mother worked in there for a while as well. 😂

19 minutes ago, Scanlon's Left Peg said:

After many years of reading bits of the Forum, I have finally logged on after joining a while ago. Absolutely love this Thread by Sonny and I am working my way through it more thoroughly. Sonny has done a magnificent job of it, as has EAB latterly. Enjoying once again. The Forum generally is brilliant. I love all the Matchday Threads every week, also the Coronavirus Thread grabs my attention and I like it.  Seen some of the Saints photos topics and that is ace.

Loads of great Buddies on here, I especially like Sonny and EAB, obviously, Oaksoft, The famous Captain Sensible, Santaponasaint , Pod and many more. Elvis is entertaining. He tells the truth. :)

Proud To Be A Buddie.

Now that really made me laugh. :lol:  Welcome, unless your elvis of course.  

19 minutes ago, Scanlon's Left Peg said:

After many years of reading bits of the Forum, I have finally logged on after joining a while ago. Absolutely love this Thread by Sonny and I am working my way through it more thoroughly. Sonny has done a magnificent job of it, as has EAB latterly. Enjoying once again. The Forum generally is brilliant. I love all the Matchday Threads every week, also the Coronavirus Thread grabs my attention and I like it.  Seen some of the Saints photos topics and that is ace.

Loads of great Buddies on here, I especially like Sonny and EAB, obviously, Oaksoft, The famous Captain Sensible, Santaponasaint , Pod and many more. Elvis is entertaining. He tells the truth. :)

Proud To Be A Buddie.

How is your old dad Elvis keeping? 😂

On 2/25/2021 at 6:45 PM, faraway saint said:

Just came back to me, what was the snooker hall between Stoney Brae and the wee brae that brought you out onto the High Street?

I used to nip in and watch on my way home from the baths, got my fist game on a real table in there.

First fisting