Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

3 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

I think I recall it being sold for development for flats with retail outlets on the ground floor but I might be mistaken.

Don’t think retail was ever part of the plan.If I remember correctly downstairs was earmarked for community use in a PACE sort of way.

Upstairs was to be flats or offices,they applied for both in their planning application as they hadn’t decided what would be most profitable............but the whole thing has ground to a halt in last couple of years.

Don’t think retail was ever part of the plan.If I remember correctly downstairs was earmarked for community use in a PACE sort of way.
Upstairs was to be flats or offices,they applied for both in their planning application as they hadn’t decided what would be most profitable............but the whole thing has ground to a halt in last couple of years.
Thanks for that, I wasn't sure, hope it gets finished I always thought it was worth saving when driving past it.

47 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

I think I recall it being sold for development for flats with retail outlets on the ground floor but I might be mistaken.

I thought this was the original plan as well, seen the guys behind it on a daytime programme, think it was Homes Under the Hammer, and I thought retail was planned.

38 minutes ago, HSS said:

There was some discussion on here about this when it was on the TV programme I mentioned, not sure how to search it, that might clear this up? 

Edited by faraway saint

On 6/29/2017 at 12:24 PM, thomsons dropped it said:

From Paisley via Inverness.....They said they had speculated £250,000 to get the project going, hoping to let out the ground floor commercially.

Canny remember any more, I was hoovering and tidying up just passing in the living room, my wife was watching it......:rolleyes:

Found this in the Homes Under the Hammer thread....................

Found this in the Homes Under the Hammer thread....................

Think they said on the programme that it was to be offices on ground floor then the income from that would be used to turn other floors into flats. They were expecting to get several grants, as they were led to believe that it was almost just a formality of applying for them, but were apparently rejected for them all.

Aye
All the Christmas parties i went to in the place apart 1 year they were on strike
One of my earliest memories is a Christmas party in there, watching a cartoon.on.an old cinefilm, and being allowed to take a whole handful of sweeties from a jar! Probably around 1970.

1 minute ago, BuddieinEK said:
1 hour ago, windae cleaner said:
Aye
All the Christmas parties i went to in the place apart 1 year they were on strike

One of my earliest memories is a Christmas party in there, watching a cartoon.on.an old cinefilm, and being allowed to take a whole handful of sweeties from a jar! Probably around 1970.

Sorry i was talking about Canal St station

But they showed cartoons on the old cinefilm,played games.fed us juice,pieces and sausage rolls

Got a present from Santa and then a selection box when leaving

Even the year they were on strike they held the party at some hall on George St

Another personal one, Sweenie's was owned by my great Uncle Jack Sweenie (my Mum's uncle). 
This was their shop and showroom in Smithhills St (where the road under the car park is now) and the warehouse was across the road beside the Old Swan.  IIRC the showroom moved round the corner to Old Sneddon St.
158922956_3669646536481687_8199041678731202272_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103%26ccb=1-3%26_nc_sid=730e14%26_nc_ohc=TLWKcy-wBU0AX8Kv02i%26_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx%26oh=3cee09f6dfd24cdf7955b9797f3f30a4%26oe=606CA029&key=d0da12e10406ebac1376bb5473e02a09ccfbdf32f696cb426fd9b6183745faa9
158974390_3669647656481575_1582247112926223318_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108%26ccb=1-3%26_nc_sid=730e14%26_nc_ohc=3HlzZAReG6gAX8bHAK8%26_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx%26oh=8a34f30da1a214da32b7f38916d162af%26oe=606C9C21&key=a320ac8483435900af7d46732627c0ae5d06e428b46055bb84a163568cf10869

It did indeed.  Bought a fair bit of furniture and fittings in the early 70's from the Old Sneddon shop.  That was when the public sector bought locally.  Sweenie, Jimmy Spence in Broomland Street and Archibald McKellar in Thornliebank did very well for a number for years.