Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Those lorries were always called pantechnicon - I think because they had the bit over the cab but I’m no sure
Definition of 'pantechnicon'

1. a large van, esp one used for furniture removals. 2. a warehouse where furniture is stored.

1 hour ago, Slarti said:

Definition of 'pantechnicon'

1. a large van, esp one used for furniture removals. 2. a warehouse where furniture is stored.

More commonly known as Pantecs.I’ve always been amazed by the wee “living area” above the cab.

Getting back on subject, I'm sure these will have been posted before, but I think they are worth repeating as they are both relevant to our old home.

In the first aerial it is a great shot of the town centre but you can see the roof of the north enclosure....... not sure when this was taken but it looks pre-motorway and I think Abbotsinch is still there as a RN Air Base, but I could be wrong. 

The second one is pre-north enclosure around 1933 time.

Paisley from the air see the roof on the north terracing.png

Love St circa 1933.jpg

Edited by The Original 59er

There have been quite a few High St photos posted which isn't surprising given that it was the most important shopping street for so many years, even after the Piazza was built.

However I came across this photo of the Liberal Club which dates back a little and the rather sad 2019 photo of it now. I suppose it really sums up the demise of the Liberals in general! This is located on the corner of High Street and Church Hill.

The Liberal Club, which still stands at the corner of the High Street and Church Hill.jpg

The Liberal Club now, which still stands at the corner of the High Street and Church Hill.jpg

A couple of retail establishments I used to frequent.

McDougal Bros in Moss Street was a great shop to go and wander round. They chased you out a few times, but it was an interesting shop to spend your time especially if it was pi**ing down outside.

The Sherwood Café, was always worth dropping into especially if you were meeting the girlfriend at the Kelburne and you were early, or she was late. Of course no mobiles in these days so you had to keep popping your head out the door to check if she had arrived.

McDougall Bros Moss St.jpg

Glasgow Road - Sherwood Cafe.jpg

Edited by The Original 59er

I don't remember this building as it seems from the historical blurb (below) it was demolished in '59/'60, which is just a little before I could get to know this part of the town. I think it was the early 60's when I just got on my bike and saw as much of the town as I could.

Located to the south of the town centre, opposite the RAH, the Alexandra Cinema was opened in early-December 1923 by Caledonian Entertainers Ltd. It had a 40ft wide proscenium (the part of a theatre stage in front of the curtain). In early-1930 it was equipped with a Western Electric(WE) sound system.

It was modernised in 1938/1939, just before the War and was re-named New Alex Cinema. It was closed in early-April 1959 and was demolished in 1960 and a petrol station was built on the site. Today there is housing on the site.

The Alex Cinema 1Located to the south of the city centre, opposite the Royal Alexandra Hospital. The Alexandra Cinema was opened in early-December 1923.jpg

The Alex Cinema.jpg

On 3/1/2021 at 4:54 PM, Eric Arthur Blair said:

A bit of a personal one here, my parents lived in the building on the right as children.

My Mum lived at 25, my Dad at 29.

FPCrescent.thumb.jpg.74f4828a5dd4a75677788a8b87a569d2.jpg

Did a bit of work for my dad's mate who owned arrowhead removals doing the decanting work when the redevelopment was going on. To be fair imo it would have been money better spent to improve the housing stock oposed to demolishing it and new builds everywhere at the time as those that were demolished fairly solid homes.

Edited by Cumbriansaint72

3 hours ago, The Original 59er said:It was closed in early-April 1959 and was demolished in 1960 and a petrol station was built on the site. Today there is housing on the site.

The Alex Cinema 1Located to the south of the city centre, opposite the Royal Alexandra Hospital. The Alexandra Cinema was opened in early-December 1923.jpg

The Alex Cinema.jpg

Are you sure about the petrol station mate?I was brought up in that area and have absolutely no memory of one there.

Are you sure about the petrol station mate?I was brought up in that area and have absolutely no memory of one there.
There was a petrol station opposite the RAI entrance on the corner across from where the doctor's is now. Don't know if that's the right location or not as I am not old enough to remember the cinema.

3 hours ago, HSS said:

I'm actually quoting from the historical reference to the Alex as it seems to appear in the records. As I say I didn't know the Alex so can't exactly say where it was and how it relates to today's street scape.

This could have been posted before, apologies, but it's a very strong memory for me as I spent my first 20 years around this area. 

Caledonia Street

A classic shot from Caledonia Street that has done its rounds in the past but great to see again is this one of a McGills of Barrhead Leyland Titan at its terminus outside the Fountain Gardens in the early 1970's. Within the Park are the long removed Public Loos and on the corner of Blytheswood Drive Pacinis Caledonia Cafe, great for a Coke or a Cone on a nice summers day. I can remember a Butchers and a Chemist shop amongst the others but can anyone remember the others, or names ?

May be an image of outdoors

18 hours ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Did a bit of work for my dad's mate who owned arrowhead removals doing the decanting work when the redevelopment was going on. To be fair imo it would have been money better spent to improve the housing stock oposed to demolishing it and new builds everywhere at the time as those that were demolished fairly solid homes.

Think the preference was to have your own front and back door. 

15 minutes ago, pod said:

Think the preference was to have your own front and back door. 

And no doubt a large development grant probably swayed things too.

Got a vivid memory of one we did where there was a kid about 14  shoving a knife through anything that was being left behind, other fella on job with me asked him why he wasn't at school. His reply was 'don't go to school, I go to the borstal'. Talk about shitting yourself, I don't  think we ever moved furniture as quick to get out🙂

22 hours ago, HSS said:

I've been able to do a wee bit more research and the maps below begin to tell the picture.

1st Map 1947 clearly showing the Alex opposite the RAH on the corner of Orr St

2nd Map same in 1951

3rd map is a 1965 edition, but actually was already 3 years out of date as the area was surveyed in '62 and still shows the Alex Cinema building.

4th map 1967 showing what might appear to be a petrol station with the number 23 Neilston Road

lastly today

Alex cinema 1947.jpg

Alex cinema 1951.jpg

Alex cinema site 1965.jpg

Alex cinema site 1967.jpg

Alex cinema site Now.jpg