Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

14 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

From memory in Upper Gallowhill we had Parducci's, Trento, Geordie and occasionally Walls.

I worked on the Trentos van in Gallowhill when I was 13 .. at first with a local guy and then with Dominic Girasoli,

one of the Sons,Trento was the old mans first name ,he was always in the Cafe in Renfrew, good old guy.

Later I worked with my Brother on an Izzis Van up on the Neilston run for a couple of years.😱

Good times and great memories.🍦

14 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

From memory in Upper Gallowhill we had Parducci's, Trento, Geordie and occasionally Walls.

That's also my recollection.

I mind one time my Dad had got a British Linen Bank £1 note as part of his wages. It was unusual in that it had a lot of blue in its design. He said "take it out to the van and if you get change of a fiver ill give you a pound."

Now I knew Geordie wouldn't be daft enough to fall for that and, even if he did, he'd pull me up on it next time he saw me so I suggested we waited till the Walls van came round.

Sure enough I got change of a fiver and I got my £1 which back in 1976 was a fortune.

35 minutes ago, saint in exile said:

I lived there from 59 to 79, and my parents longer than that. No one I knew called it the Rivers. The tag only seemed to appear once it was decided it was a "troubled" estate.

I think it was given that tag mid-late 80s if I remember right.

21 minutes ago, Slarti said:

It was definitely referred to as the rivers in the mid to late 70s, at least it was by people who didn't live there.

To be fair didn't think it was as early as that. With this what does make me chuckle is remembering carrying on always about having to take his beloved vauxhall viva up the chain road as obviously it was soooo steep a hill it would wreck the engine jeez 

To be fair didn't think it was as early as that. With this what does make me chuckle is remembering carrying on always about having to take his beloved vauxhall viva up the chain road as obviously it was soooo steep a hill it would wreck the engine jeez 
It does seem to have got less steep over the years. It hasn't, but it does seem that way.

6 minutes ago, Slarti said:
21 minutes ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

It does seem to have got less steep over the years. It hasn't, but it does seem that way.

Or maybe cars aren't as crap as they were then haha.  In saying that in those days cars were like tanks powered by a 1300cc engine.

Or maybe cars aren't as crap as they were then haha.  In saying that in those days cars were like tanks powered by a 1300cc engine.
I meant just looking at it. It's just perception, obviously. When I was a little kid I thought it was a long way to walk from my mum's house into town, as I got older I thought it was just down the road and now that I'm an old c**t it seems like a long way again.

Returning to a previous post here is a link to a good YouTube video put together for Renfrew Airport:

Over and above this are three really good photos of the old terminal building. I like good architecture and this was stylish and made a statement. 

Pity is had to go for a Tesco supermarket!

Renfrew Airport Interior.jpg

Renfrew Airport Exterior.jpg

Renfrew Airport Exterior prior to demolition in 1974.jpg

Edited by The Original 59er
Caps changed

2 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

Returning to a previous post here is a link to a good YouTube video put together for Renfrew Airport:

The DH Heron in one of the pictures , G-AOFY , was the one that crashed on an Air Ambulance flight from Renfrew in 1957. There's a memorial to the crew and nurse , who all died , on Newmains Rd . 

57 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

The airport from a 1961 OS Map

image.thumb.png.49612b631d204567edf6762d1703f095.png

and the same scene today. The motorway follows the path of the runway.

image.thumb.png.5fca626c9b096dab28bf20b4e938f155.png

Where the new artificial pitch is at Renfrew High, it used to be waste ground and it was where one of the airports large hangars was located. The original tracks for the wheeled doors to the hangars were still there in the 90's.