Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

2 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:
5 hours ago, pod said:
Before Great Mills, wasn't there a cold storage warehouse there with a big canopy in front. 

No, it was Tesco. I asked some mates as we grew up in Gallowhill about it, when a work colleague was talking about a cash van incident at it. Somehow I had a brain freeze and had forgot it was Tesco that built it. Though it wasn't allowed to sell food.

Was referring to structure that was demolished before Tesco ?/ Great Mills/ B&M.    

Was referring to structure that was demolished before Tesco ?/ Great Mills/ B&M.    
How old do you think I am, I can just remember Tesco so no idea what was there before.

I'm [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787] here, said to myself I'll ask my dad. Yeah that would good, he's dead 4 years. I'm losing it today [emoji1787]

Anyway here's pictures of the old Abercorn Station, I'm guessing it's the building behind you're referring to.

b32007f34c77a527a65ac38ff4259a0c.jpg9de0cfadbc48a46f500467a410819cd1.jpg

On 12/13/2021 at 8:00 PM, Scott-Leeds said:

I think ( fairly sure ) my Aunt lived on ground floor in the tenement block in the 70’s - I used to go there.

Did it have an old railway line running behind it ?

Nice pic of the penny bun shop on the corner of abercorn st .  Blessed relief at lunch time from the infamous St Mirrin's academy school dinners.  I still treat myself to my staple order of a gammon roll and a bottle of fizzy orange for lunch when i get nostalgic.  Fanta is not the same as a Solripe was but it still kinda hits the spot.

Nice pic of the penny bun shop on the corner of abercorn st .  Blessed relief at lunch time from the infamous St Mirrin's academy school dinners.  I still treat myself to my staple order of a gammon roll and a bottle of fizzy orange for lunch when i get nostalgic.  Fanta is not the same as a Solripe was but it still kinda hits the spot.
You should have tried the bakers in Gallowhill back then, Jimmy Wilson was a legend.

Drooling thinking about a Wilson bap with a Watsons slice. Heaven [emoji16]

On 12/13/2021 at 12:15 PM, HSS said:

Here’s a wee pic of the Weigh Bridge at Abercorn St which I remember well Anybuddie remember an other Weigh Bridge in Paisley?

2B0B6A3B-0EAF-4FAD-9990-A79DCE37CBD2.jpeg

Great photo. So much in it. Two Street cleaners. Looks like they missed the large bin when emptying theirs. My Aunt worked in O'Mays the Bakers.

Took the same "shortcut" many times as the girl passing the Weighbridge. Will stand corrected but from memory was the scrap merchant opposite the footbridge called Arthurs and before them was it Rae the Coal Merchant? Looking at the aerial photo, there could be a siding from just passed the Abercorn Station and if i am right it would have serviced the coal merchants. (Just like Canal Street). I have a vague recollection of a siding.

The other Weighbridge was in Ferguslie main road. Correct rabuddies not our comprehensive.

8 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Will let antrin answer as I'm too young to know it. emoji16.png

8 hours ago, Slarti said:

Antrin's only useful for pictures from before yon motorised vehicle thingies were invented. :whistle

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

What was the question?

we’ve had this pic afore.  
Barr Place (Barr Place as was, before demolition and rebuild, where I grew up) looking towards George Street.

4 shops left to right.

Alistair’s (a dairy/general shop), Claude Hannah licensed grocer(used to be the chippie), Butchers ( was Tom Smith who sold it to his apprentice Charlie Green) and WL Miller, hidden behind thon metal thingy. (Dunno what Miller’s was but in the 50s into the early 60s it was a Galbraith’s store.)

Just now, antrin said:

What was the question?

we’ve had this pic afore.  
Barr Place (Barr Place as was, before demolition and rebuild, where I grew up) looking towards George Street.

4 shops left to right.

Alistair’s (a dairy/general shop), Claude Hannah licensed grocer(used to be the chippie), Butchers ( was Tom Smith who sold it to his apprentice Charlie Green) and WL Miller, hidden behind thon metal thingy. (Dunno what Miller’s was but in the 50s into the early 60s it was a Galbraith’s store.)

Errata: Barr Street, as was….

On 12/16/2021 at 1:41 AM, hamlet said:

Great photo. So much in it. Two Street cleaners. Looks like they missed the large bin when emptying theirs. My Aunt worked in O'Mays the Bakers.

Took the same "shortcut" many times as the girl passing the Weighbridge. Will stand corrected but from memory was the scrap merchant opposite the footbridge called Arthurs and before them was it Rae the Coal Merchant? Looking at the aerial photo, there could be a siding from just passed the Abercorn Station and if i am right it would have serviced the coal merchants. (Just like Canal Street). I have a vague recollection of a siding.

The other Weighbridge was in Ferguslie main road. Correct rabuddies not our comprehensive.

My dad was a baker worked in O'Mays for years