Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

My dad was in the one in Ailsa Drive, got a bit of a shock the first time I saw all the tenements had been demolished.

As contradictory as it sounds, I genuinely don’t mind being old, but I definitely miss my youth

Growing up in Paisley for me was a good experience

I can no longer visit where I lived and went to school - I hate seeing my childhood memories of areas wiped out

Living in Lexwell Rd , Foxbar was great overlooking Red Rock Canyon/ Witches Dens/ Golf Course we used to cut through to go to Elderslie baths - all unrecognisable now obviously

Caledonia St number 37 where we moved still stands overlooking Fountain Gardens

So, seeing all the old pictures is magic [emoji4]

Grateful for everyone who posts a picture or memories

Still my favourite thread, never ever ruined only ever added to [emoji4]

8 hours ago, antrin said:

What was the question?

we’ve had this pic afore.  
Barr Place (Barr Place as was, before demolition and rebuild, where I grew up) looking towards George Street.

4 shops left to right.

Alistair’s (a dairy/general shop), Claude Hannah licensed grocer(used to be the chippie), Butchers ( was Tom Smith who sold it to his apprentice Charlie Green) and WL Miller, hidden behind thon metal thingy. (Dunno what Miller’s was but in the 50s into the early 60s it was a Galbraith’s store.)

Interesting, A Charlie Green also took over the butchers shop on Braehead road in Glenburn mid to late 70’s and that was said to be the owner selling to his apprentice. Did Tam Smith own that one too.

1 hour ago, buddiecat said:

Interesting, A Charlie Green also took over the butchers shop on Braehead road in Glenburn mid to late 70’s and that was said to be the owner selling to his apprentice. Did Tam Smith own that one too.

I worked before and after school in Tommy Smith's in the late 60s. It was a bit later that Charlie was given (not sold) the shop in George St. Charlie ran the shop well when I was there. I was not aware of a shop on Braehead Rd. At that point Tommy Smith was semi-retired and only popped for a short while each day to see everything was OK and we were not eating frying steak and Scotch tomatoes on our rolls at lunch and breakfast!

Charlie did not do so well on his own , although I believe his bookie and barman did......

Edited by ianmac

13 hours ago, buddiecat said:

Dunno…

13 hours ago, Slarti said:
13 hours ago, HSS said:
Having a pish in the bus shelter doesn’t count as using it emoji107.png

Don't be daft, I don't pish where I sleep.

Those fancy new incoontinence pants save a lot of embarrassment and discomfort, they tell me.

12 hours ago, ianmac said:

I worked before and after school in Tommy Smith's in the late 60s. It was a bit later that Charlie was given (not sold) the shop in George St. Charlie ran the shop well when I was there. I was not aware of a shop on Braehead Rd. At that point Tommy Smith was semi-retired and only popped for a short while each day to see everything was OK and we were not eating frying steak and Scotch tomatoes on our rolls at lunch and breakfast!

Charlie did not do so well on his own , although I believe his bookie and barman did......

Charlie liked a pint, but I think his main problem was timing.  His was a wee shop tucked away from busy shopping/travel routes when supermarkets - with cheaper, packaged meats - were opening up.

You might well be right about the timing thing with Charlie. I heard it was the finance side of running the shop he struggled with so that would be connected with business dropping off when the supermarkets came along.

He was/is a really nice guy and he had a great rapport with the customers. I enjoyed working in the shop. The money was good for a school kid and all the guys were good fun, although the hours were grim and a butcher shop was a dirty place to work in the sense that your hands and clothes were always greasy.

4 hours ago, ianmac said:

He was/is a really nice guy and he had a great rapport…

I totally agree.  Good guy.

….but….  Re-reading your post…

it strikes me that Chic’s main failing with finance (if there was one) is that he paid some lads far too much!

The money was good for a school kid ”!

:)

3 hours ago, antrin said:

I totally agree.  Good guy.

….but….  Re-reading your post…

it strikes me that Chic’s main failing with finance (if there was one) is that he paid some lads far too much!

The money was good for a school kid ”!

:)

It was Tommy Smith that set my wages!

If I remember correctly, I got 30 bob for for an hour Mon-Fri morning and an hour after school (except Tuesdays when I spent some of my money in Gibson's Tea Room on the high street at the top of New Street) and four hours on a Saturday morning. It was a lot of money for a school kid, but I put in a lot of hours for it!!

Do you know, is Charlie stiil with us?

As well as Charlie, there was Bobby from Greenock who regularly locked me in the big walk in cold store and Wee Dougie's brother who was at least 6 feet tall.  Happy days....

Dunno about Charlie.

Dougie, though…  must’ve been in his 40s or 50s in the 60s.  Long gone now.a

He had two sons, Isaac (who had the same stature as Dougie) and a younger brother who did look in the 60s as though his growth would not be impeded.  can’t recall his name.

in the 60s Isaac worked on the buildings development that replaced Barr Street etc, and brought in Sir Michael Place, Canal Terrace, Barr Place and the 4 apartments above the shops/ restaurants in George Street.

On 12/18/2021 at 8:21 PM, ianmac said:

Aye they would have done well at his bookies and bar, saw him quite often in St Peter’s club. I am probably wrong about Braehead road. I passed the George street shop on my way to work most days and saw his name above the door as successor to the owner.

On 12/13/2021 at 12:15 PM, HSS said:

Here’s a wee pic of the Weigh Bridge at Abercorn St which I remember well Anybuddie remember an other Weigh Bridge in Paisley?

2B0B6A3B-0EAF-4FAD-9990-A79DCE37CBD2.jpeg

On 12/13/2021 at 12:28 PM, rabuddies said:

Was there not one on Ferguslie where they built the John Neilson Comprehensive?

What, me, no. I was educated in an Institution. 

Here’s the JNI one……….

0411CB3A-F1DA-49FB-8F8E-DB72CE44E599.jpeg

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

A fine place of learning in the background.:rolleyes:

The fenced part next to the wee building was where Brendan sat in his Parducci ice cream van and sold us singles, of the tobacco type.

We went to the wee shop near the old bus stop on the other side of the road and bought 10 No6 for 15p. Then we went to the wee post office which is now "Billy's" . I was "acquainted" with a girl who worked there and we just lifted about £2 worth of goodies and she would charge me 5p or less .  😇