Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

21 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Canal St at junction with Wardrop St.

May be an image of 6 people and outdoors

My gran used to live on the top floor flat, just to the right of the no entry sign, above The Sou'Western Bar.

I now it was the to floor because I had to go down stairs to the loo on the landing. 

Porterfield Road and a line of 20 trams patiently sitting ready to take home some of the eight thousand Babcock & Wilcox workers at the end of their working day. The company actually paid to have the tram lines laid down Porterfield road
272668433_4655803201199344_7601755202523519341_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=YkL7jcJSKiUAX_QbQM4&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=00_AT_wF2OzYhxSBO67cDrfLRT-JyuBvxxjELOPfVZ2zinjVA&oe=61F6474F

It is good manners to credit your source! I just read that word for word on another site with the same photo!

Cracking picture of a bygone era.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Porterfield Road and a line of 20 trams patiently sitting ready to take home some of the eight thousand Babcock & Wilcox workers at the end of their working day. The company actually paid to have the tram lines laid down Porterfield road
272668433_4655803201199344_7601755202523519341_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=YkL7jcJSKiUAX_QbQM4&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=00_AT_wF2OzYhxSBO67cDrfLRT-JyuBvxxjELOPfVZ2zinjVA&oe=61F6474F

I’m quoting you as my source [emoji2]

My Dad worked there in the 70’s , they also did great Christmas parties for the workers kids [emoji4]

1 hour ago, Scott-Leeds said:

I’m quoting you as my source emoji2.png

My Dad worked there in the 70’s , they also did great Christmas parties for the workers kids emoji4.png

Santa was 1 of many thousands  who got the sack after Babcock merged with a company called FKI Electricals in 1987. 

If memory served me right, FKI cut everything to the bone and it was a bad time for the workers in Renfrew. 

The trams were before my time when starting at the company. 

14 hours ago, faraway saint said:

May be an image of 11 people, outdoors and text

I must have been up/down Porterfield Road hundreds of time in my 10 years working at "Babbies".

The tram lines were long gone in my time, but could have down with them on the Friday rush up to the pub, gulping down a stupid amount of drink, and rushing back.

Quite how I, and many others, never had a serious accident is a miracle.

I must have been up/down Porterfield Road hundreds of time in my 10 years working at "Babbies".
The tram lines were long gone in my time, but could have down with them on the Friday rush up to the pub, gulping down a stupid amount of drink, and rushing back.

Couldn't find the film of the trams filling up and dispersing to the various destinations. Was on one of the Paisley Facebook pages, thought it was Paisley, oor wee toon.

18 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:
24 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Couldn't find the film of the trams filling up and dispersing to the various destinations. Was on one of the Paisley Facebook pages, thought it was Paisley, oor wee toon.

When I first started the crowds pouring out onto Renfrew Road at night were like the old pics of the shipyards emptying, and Renfrew Road was choc a block with buses heading in every direction.

Quite a shock to the system coming straight from school.

Edited by faraway saint

12 hours ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

What a picture! 2 rot boxes together. Marina and a Rover 213😂

Used to have one of those rot boxes. Morris Marina TC, black vinyl roof and tinted windows.  A lot of the underside was from the Morris 1000, so prone to steering collapse. 

I had a Rover 216 .

Brand new I took it to the dealership as there was a strange knock from the front suspension.  The workshop manager phoned me to come and have a look,  not a single nut or bolt on the whole front suspension had been tightened and some were even missing !!,  

Quality control was obviously a big thing at Longbridge in the 80s .   Never had a Marina but worked on plenty - hideous things 🤢.   Our works “Van” when I was in Lochfield Garage was a Marina Pick up - absolutely useless for just about everything - especially towing ! 

I had a Rover 214 (hatchback version of 216) in the early 90s. My first company car.

I really liked it until the alternator went on the outside lane of the M6 just north of Birmingham around 6pm one November evening. Very scary when all the lights went out and I had to get to  the hard shoulder. It was only a few miles from the RAC Control Centre building but it still took them nearly 2 hours to get to me.

These Rovers were badly built Honda Accords........

I had a Rover 214 (hatchback version of 216) in the early 90s. My first company car.
I really liked it until the alternator went on the outside lane of the M6 just north of Birmingham around 6pm one November evening. Very scary when all the lights went out and I had to get to  the hard shoulder. It was only a few miles from the RAC Control Centre building but it still took them nearly 2 hours to get to me.
These Rovers were badly built Honda Accords........

I had a brand new Rover 214 - G395 CLV reg

It would literally just cut out randomly, sometimes crossing a junction like it was starved of fuel or something

It was intermittent but was definitely going to cost us our lives if not rectified

The garage took it in several times and said it’s fine, until it happened again

They blamed me [emoji15] anyway after much wrangling, they agreed to take the car back

Bought a vauxhall after that

11 hours ago, pod said:

Used to have one of those rot boxes. Morris Marina TC, black vinyl roof and tinted windows.  A lot of the underside was from the Morris 1000, so prone to steering collapse. 

You are right about the steering,suspension,etc. It was based on the morris minor as the marina was a bit of a rush job to bring in something that looked at bit more modern at the time. My dad had 3 of the things when I was young. 2 of them in 70s with great vinyl seats, perfect in hot summers. Last one being one that he bought when on holiday! So we went with a wonderful vauxhall viva🙄 and returned home with late marina(W reg). Only my dad could manage that I'm sure and he still would now given the chance when it comes to cars.

County Square, 1900......................... parts are still remarkably familiar. 

Press play and you can move 360 degrees to see the whole area. 

This is the latest work from Computer Graphics modeller Ian Young who previously modelled the old Jail, Municipal buildings and GPO. Fantastic work once again with this fully animated 360/VR model of county square from 1900. Just roll your mouse/phone around to see full scene.