Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

On 2/2/2022 at 7:24 PM, faraway saint said:

County Square, 1900......................... parts are still remarkably familiar. 

Press play and you can move 360 degrees to see the whole area. 

This is the latest work from Computer Graphics modeller Ian Young who previously modelled the old Jail, Municipal buildings and GPO. Fantastic work once again with this fully animated 360/VR model of county square from 1900. Just roll your mouse/phone around to see full scene.

The Glasgow Herald Office was on the south side of that Square. Had to go into their office each Saturday morning with the takings I owed the Herald when I ran a paper round for 4 years by just delivering the Herald each morning.

4 Dozen and eight............. that number is etched on my brain as the standard delivery dropped off at my front door from the age of 15 to 18 at 6.00am 6 days a week. It was a very lucrative arrangement as opposed to working as a "paper shop" delivery boy.

20 hours ago, antrin said:

1985?

The reason I ask is that I have a very vague memory of carrying out work in Ferguslie Mill in the very early 70's and whilst it was only for one day, I still remember seeing all the working looms on the multi floor building.

However I seem to remember that the top couple of floors weren't in operation with no-one around just remnants of the machines.

I was standing in for someone in survey work we were doing for them (fire and rating surveys), but I can't quite remember all the details and I think my memories have been tainted by film and videos I have seen of the Mills in operation.

I was certainly warned in advance by the senior surveyor that I had to be on my toes as both the machines and the women who operated them were VERY dangerous! :whistle

It was a long, slow decay…. Exploited by people who were able to exploit the site.

This Page…

https://www.paisleypeoplesarchive.org/thread-mills/history-of-paisley-thread-mills/the-death-of-thread.aspx

It talks of 1984 and Ferguslie being run down.

No specifics.  Nothing more useful than that.  No idea when it stopped operating.  Sorry.

(one of my cousins contributed to the page).

Quite Interesting.

Edited by antrin

I worked in worked in Ferguslie Mills leaving for a Coat's subsidiary in England in 1970 (If my memory hasn't failed me).

There was No1 Mill cotton spinning, No 2 Mill doing acrylics, No 3 Mill cotton Spinning, No 8 Mill yarn twisting and No 9 Mill yarn twisting. There were other departments such as yarn winding. I worked in the Counting House in the Technical Dept but following a re-organisation got transferred to Hungerford in Berkshire with Davidson Industries. 

Ferguslie and Anchor for that matter were major complexes and would suggest that Anchor was the bigger when you include all the recreational ground that they had.

On the whole good times 

Two good photos of the Town Hall as you cross the bridge over the Cart. The first in the 19th Century and the second one almost up to date.

The 19th century picture is a gem and shows the extension of the old line that Gauze Street took, and the buildings on the right hand side of the road which would have obliterated the views of the Abbey from the road.

At first I had to check it was a photo of Paisley, but on closer inspection you can see all the similar features of the Town Hall building on both pictures.

Town Hall and Bridge over Cart 19th cent.jpg

Town Hall and Bridge over Cart 20th cent.jpg

Two pictures taken probably in the 50's judging by the cars and the apparel of the pedestrians.

I can't quite believe the crowds on Moss St and the people idly reading papers and chatting standing in the middle of the road leading down into County Sq. Maybe there was a "No Entry" sign there in these days

High St in the 50s.jpg

Moss St to High St.jpg

49 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

Two pictures taken probably in the 50's judging by the cars and the apparel of the pedestrians.

I can't quite believe the crowds on Moss St and the people idly reading papers and chatting standing in the middle of the road leading down into County Sq. Maybe there was a "No Entry" sign there in these days

Moss St to High St.jpg

Saturday after the footie. Some reading the sports extra for results. Definitely not at the height of summer.  :)

3 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

High St in the 50s.jpg

Moss St to High St.jpg

I’m not so sure….  I don’t think that…  

1.  …folk are standing, chatting.  They’re waiting to safely cross the street, as a wee black car turns right into Coonty Square from Moss Street…

also…  I don’t think that… it’s a Saturday after a match.

2… there’s a lot of women, there.  And wee girls.   AND it looks like a big, static crowd in the sunlight up at the cenotaph.  Could it be an Armistice day?  Huge crowds for that so close to WWII and its impact still sorely felt.

oh… and… ps I saw only couple of paper readers.

Sunday papers?   

there'd have been hunners of papers being scanned by a fitba crowd.  (I used to sometimes sell the latest results editions to fitba crowds)

Excellent pix.  Ta.  :)

Edited by antrin

Also…

just noticed in the High Street pic is…

…Burtons!

I was only ever aware of it at the Cross.  Don’t recall a Burtons in that location.

did a bit of digging..

https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/200398079-burtons-6-and-8-high-street-paisley#.Yg0qaC-nyhA

and this site suggests the Cross store opening about 1936.  

It also mentions a thread of ‘Burtons having billiard rooms above stores’.  Is that High Street store at the foot of the building which hosted the Liberal Club?

the High Street image does seem pre-war to me.

17 minutes ago, antrin said:

Also…

…Burtons!

I was only ever aware of it at the Cross.  Don’t recall a Burtons in that location.

did a bit of digging..

https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/200398079-burtons-6-and-8-high-street-paisley#.Yg0qaC-nyhA

It also mentions a thread of ‘Burtons having billiard rooms above stores’.  Is that High Street store at the foot of the building which hosted the Liberal Club?

The window from the Liberal Club looked down New Street so I think the Liberal Club would be the next building just outside the picture.

2 hours ago, antrin said:

Also…

…Burtons!

did a bit of digging..

Think Burtons temporally moved to the High Street, but later return to the Cross.  There's a floor above the Cross store big enough to accommodate at least two full size tables, so possible.