Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

22 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:
16 hours ago, antrin said:
Both men’s and women’s pools had diving dales.

The “wee” pool which was actually longer than the other two pools (which were only 25 yards) had no diving dales.

So I'm guessing the wee pool was 25mts rather than 25yds?

I think it might even have been 40 yards.  Also narrower than the other pools.

i don’t know the stats.  Just a daily memory of swimming in the various pools.

eta :    I’d love to know…

Edited by antrin

Used to go to Storie Street Baths on a Monday night also.

Around 40 or 50 of us would come from Barrhead as part of the Dolphins Club.

We would travel there and back on a hired Double Decker bus.

Those were the days my friend.:)

12 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I also remember the Ox Tail soup, ooft, cracking aroma and strong taste. :thumbs2

I remember the chippie t the top of Storie street it had a sit in bit and I used to be in the boys brigade in the church at the bottom of storrie street on George st if I recall correctly, occasionally my da would  tret me and give me some cash to have a sit in supper after the Boys brigade finished , my recolecetion is that fish supper with tea and bread was 2/5d, I heard yesterday the £10 fish supper is on its way, might be, but not ma bloody way.

The church at BOTTOM of Storie Street in George Street is the church of the New Jerusalem.  It never had BB, though before all the slums were pullled down it did host Lifeboys.

Halfway down Storie Street on the LHS before the Baths, was a church hall for Orr Square Kirk, up behind the library.  It was the home for 23rd BB and lifeboys.

Sloans chippie is still much the same….  :)

I think it might even have been 40 yards.  Also narrower than the other pools.
i don’t know the stats.  Just a daily memory of swimming in the various pools.

eta :    I’d love to know…
I honestly would never had guessed that the wee pool was that long. Learned to swim in it with the BB about 1978.

Now thinking back. We were awarded in primary school, badges for distances and it definitely was 25mts for 1 length of that pool.

The church at BOTTOM of Storie Street in George Street is the church of the New Jerusalem.  It never had BB, though before all the slums were pullled down it did host Lifeboys.
Halfway down Storie Street on the LHS before the Baths, was a church hall for Orr Square Kirk, up behind the library.  It was the home for 23rd BB and lifeboys.
Sloans chippie is still much the same….  [emoji4]

What was the name of the building that looks like it was a church at George Place?

This describes the men and women’s pools as 75x 40 feet. No mention of the other pool.

https://www.facebook.com/paisleyoorweetoon/photos/paisley-corporation-baths-storie-streetpaisley-baths-opened-on-friday-16th-octob/717434795036224/

Paisley was the first place in Scotland to have a public swimming pool, 1868, paid by public subscription.  And the first place in which water polo was played with rules!  According to this paper….

Campbell1993.pdf;jsessionid=B433C809C072

p88 of it describes that original pool as being 80x 32 lit by glass panels in its roof.  Sounds like that may have been the one at the back, as it goes on to describe the addition of the other two pools by the Cooncil.

Slightly longer and yet narrower… my memory exaggerating the even longer illusion, I guess.  :)

pp87 - 91 have quite a bit of further info and pix including demolition.

6 hours ago, jaybee said:

I remember the chippie t the top of Storie street it had a sit in bit and I used to be in the boys brigade in the church at the bottom of storrie street on George st if I recall correctly, occasionally my da would  tret me and give me some cash to have a sit in supper after the Boys brigade finished , my recolecetion is that fish supper with tea and bread was 2/5d, I heard yesterday the £10 fish supper is on its way, might be, but not ma bloody way.

Think the chippy was Allans, no recollection of the prices, and certainly couldn't afford a full fish supper, a wee poke of chips was about it for me, I also think you used to get a wee wooden fork with them?

Not living in that area, my BB was down at Mossvale, 15th, again, I think.  

On 3/23/2012 at 7:55 AM, Sonny said:

What happened to the pupils of St Mirin's & St Margarets when the school closed?

Pod has very eloquently told you all you need to know about PICTURE 30 - St Margaret's (no connection to the School), the mansion opposite Brodie Park.

PICTURE 31 is

post-2737-0-28708000-1332489333_thumb.jp

This one?  As sonny posted yonks ago in this very thread?  A merchant’s originally.

or the big Kirk converted intae flats facing Wardrop Street?  st George’s.

(at which my Uncle Robert and Auntie Cathie got married with a very handsome page boy in a tiny kilt…)

eta.  Ooops see ye got that as I was searching for sonny’s post…

Edited by antrin

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Think the chippy was Allans, no recollection of the prices, and certainly couldn't afford a full fish supper, a wee poke of chips was about it for me, I also think you used to get a wee wooden fork with them?

Yeah Allan's chippy and it still is I think, I remember going to the baths virtually every Saturday morning in the 70s, got the bus there and back from feegie paid into the baths and got a bag of chips from Allan's and sat on the museum steps and eat them all for the pricey sum of 30p... Them were the days...

You still get a wooden fork in Allans.

How can you not remember your company, it was in your cap badge. [emoji6]

Just now, Helmettroll said:

Yeah Allan's chippy and it still is I think, I remember going to the baths virtually every Saturday morning in the 70s, got the bus there and back from feegie paid into the baths and got a bag of chips from Allan's and sat on the museum steps and eat them all for the pricey sum of 30p... Them were the days...

Aye, but did you get a wee wooden fork, or did I make that up? :wink:

On my way home I'd pop into the snooker hall that was up behind the wee hill (Orr Square?) that had Remnant Kings, sold curtains/material, think the snooker hall was discussed on here years ago.

It was dark but highly interesting, probably got me hooked on pool in my later years. 

9 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

You still get a wooden fork in Allans.

How can you not remember your company, it was in your cap badge. emoji6.png

There's lots I "should" remember and, surprisingly, lots I do remember. :P

I could Google but I'm trying to cut down on that practice, makes you lazy, although I suppose I'll get more details wrong. :lol:

Only the other day I recalled the weekly polishing of my BB belt with Brasso, polished it until it was gleaming.

Edited by faraway saint

There's lots I "should" remember and, surprisingly, lots I do remember. [emoji14]
I could Google but I'm trying to cut down on that practice, makes you lazy, although I suppose I'll get more details wrong. default_laugh.png
Only the other day I recalled the weekly polishing of my BB belt with Brasso, polished it until it was gleaming.

I went to the BB - I think it was somewhere in back street behind love street ?

I remember polishing the belt with duraglit or something [emoji1]

Was there a BB hall near Love Street ?

1 minute ago, Scott-Leeds said:

I we talk to the BB - I think it was somewhere in back street behind love street ?

I remember polishing the belt with duraglit or something emoji1.png

Was there a BB hall near Love Street ?

The Mossvale BB was only a 5 min walk to/from Love Street.

Aye, duraglit was used as well, came in a tin, kinda "wool" like material? :thumbs2

14 hours ago, shull said:

Saturday's were fantastic.

Morning, my dad took me and my brothers to Storie Street , home for lunch then off to see the Saints home or away in the afternoon.

Coming out the Baths , seeing the Sign of the Business opposite always made me chuckle.

Go on, I'll ask the question, what was the name of the business. I can only remember the cattle market. 

2 hours ago, Helmettroll said:

Paisley | Great to visit Allan’s chip shop again | Facebook