Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

On 2/26/2022 at 7:59 AM, antrin said:

The church at BOTTOM of Storie Street in George Street is the church of the New Jerusalem.  It never had BB, though before all the slums were pullled down it did host Lifeboys.

Halfway down Storie Street on the LHS before the Baths, was a church hall for Orr Square Kirk, up behind the library.  It was the home for 23rd BB and lifeboys.

Sloans chippie is still much the same….  :)

This has stirred the old memory bank. On and about 1969 the Church Hall building was used as a Nursery. It was called Hugh Smillie Nursery and one of the assistants was Mrs Bell (May). On the same side of Storrie Street was the side entrance to Priorscroft Bowling Club (before it was resited) with the red Telephone Box near the entrance and a pub known to us youngsters at the time as a wine bar. The wine of course was lanliq and eldorado.

10 minutes ago, hamlet said:

This has stirred the old memory bank. On and about 1969 the Church Hall building was used as a Nursery. It was called Hugh Smillie Nursery and one of the assistants was Mrs Bell (May). On the same side of Storrie Street was the side entrance to Priorscroft Bowling Club (before it was resited) with the red Telephone Box near the entrance and a pub known to us youngsters at the time as a wine bar. The wine of course was lanliq and eldorado.

The Hugh Smilie Nursery building is still there. You can see it on Google Earth… or go furra dauner…

Orr Square’s Hall (23rd BB) was across the street from that… and, aye, I recall the  entrance path to Priorscroft.

I (or some Buddie like me) posted an old map a few years earlier in this thread showing how it used to look.  And I also mentioned that pub earlier.   Known as “Katie Hearts”, if I recall correctly.

……………..  and YOU also mentioned the pub afore, in 2019!

search for Priorscroft.  :)

Edited by antrin

2 hours ago, antrin said:

The Hugh Smilie Nursery building is still there. You can see it on Google Earth… or go furra dauner…

Orr Square’s Hall (23rd BB) was across the street from that… and, aye, I recall the  entrance path to Priorscroft.

I (or some Buddie like me) posted an old map a few years earlier in this thread showing how it used to look.  And I also mentioned that pub earlier.   Known as “Katie Hearts”, if I recall correctly.

……………..  and YOU also mentioned the pub afore, in 2019!

search for Priorscroft.  :)

Gies a break, can remember 1957 but not 2019. (Blame the Buddies).

Katie Hearts, spot on. 

On 2/26/2022 at 11:01 AM, Scott-Leeds said:

I went to the BB - I think it was somewhere in back street behind love street ?

I remember polishing the belt with duraglit or something emoji1.png

Was there a BB hall near Love Street ?

Paisley 25th company used the church hall in Glen street (new flats on corner) up to the early 1980s. The church and hall were demolished and flats built on the site. 

104028A0-F02B-4FC7-A66F-E60BC04786F3.jpeg

2 hours ago, Scott-Leeds said:

I’m still not certain where I went, but, you’d imagine if I lived in Caledonia St ? One of the suggestions is correct emoji1.png

I remember going to a Biggish BB parade, which had its culminating service in North Street.  (V. Close to the grun…)

church hall called Thomas Muir memorial Hall. ( I just googled it). It’s something else now.

I have no idea what bb company or Kirk that might have been part of….

I’m sure this won’t help!  :)

On 2/25/2022 at 11:43 PM, faraway saint said:

Cracking picture of the inside of "the baths"....................the wee changing cubicles. :lol:

May be an image of pool

My wife will love these photos, her beloved uncle was an instructor there and previously a well known sweep with her dad.  He became a hero when he safely got out all of the kids from the pool when the crane came through the roof (around 1975?), an experience that gave him what would probably now be classed as PTSD and ultimately contributed to him taking his own life

2 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

My wife will love these photos, her beloved uncle was an instructor there and previously a well known sweep with her dad.  He became a hero when he safely got out all of the kids from the pool when the crane came through the roof (around 1975?), an experience that gave him what would probably now be classed as PTSD and ultimately contributed to him taking his own life

Mr Easdale if my memory is correct?

On 2/25/2022 at 7:05 AM, faraway saint said:

Ah, the baths, lost count of the number of times I went here, it was a treat to get into the women's pool with the diving board, as did the "wee" pool, I think?

If I was lucky, a wee visit to the chippie at the top of Storie Street and a slow wander home vis Stoney Brae. 

May be an image of text that says "1 Image held at Heritage Centre Archive Paisley"

Paisley Corporation Baths, Storie Street

Paisley Baths opened on Friday 16th October, 1868 having been constructed by private subscription at a cost of £1,964. The Pond measured  80 Feet by 32 Feet and was covered in encaustic tiles with 26 dressing boxes, situated on either side of the Pond, naturally lit from above via Skylights . Further apartments housed Six Plunge and Shower Baths. Hot Water was provided by the adjacent Coats Dyeworks however the closure of the Dyeworks resulted in the closure also of the Baths. 

Messrs Coats offer of the Baths to the Corporation for the benefit of the Town was gratefully accepted and the  building reopened with a ceremony led by the Provost on the 24th July, 1893 after alterations having been made at a cost of £843. These alterations included the addition of Two more 'Plunge' Pools.  In December 1894 plans were submitted for further work  which the Council voted to postpone. Eventually the work was put out to tender and further construction commenced in June 1895 with its completion and formal opening by Provost McKenzie in July 1896.

The cost of the work was around £7000, some of which was borrowed from the Commercial Bank of Scotland under the terms of the 1892 Burgh Police (Scotland) Act.  Extra facilities thought to be necessary for a Town the size of Paisley were provided using  the then existing Baths as a core.  The extension included a Swimming Pool, 75 Feet x 40 Feet', sprays, Foot-baths, Wash Hand Basins and lavatories. Despite initial reservations, a Turkish Bath suite was also incorporated along with a keeper's house and offices. Wash House accommodation was located at the rear of the site. The 135 Foot elevation was constructed of compressed brick with Giffnock Stone facings. The Skyline was dominated by a 100 Foot Brick Chimney Stack. Internally the new pond was tiled on the sides and bottom. Dressing boxes on wheels were mounted below a Gallery designed to seat 800 spectators. On the Roof, 8 large opening windows and 4 revolving ventilators were supported by steel trusses. The Turkish baths were octagonal in shape and  had a domed roof and tiled floor. The popularity of the facility led to further dressing boxes being built adjacent to the old baths in 1897. 

Further work was approved by the Dean of Guild in 1913 and was completed by 1915 which provided another 75 Foot x 40 Foot Swimming Pool which was tiled and had a continuous scum trough. Dressing boxes with doors and reinforced Terrazzo Slab divisions ranged the sides below a surrounding raked gallery. The hall was lit from above by a Patent glazed roof light and windows in the gable to Storie Street. A Royles Patent aerating filter was used to purify the water,  and fine sprays helped to regulate the temperature during swimming galas. Mixed bathing was introduced in April of 1927 and the pond continued to be well used and was reportedly well patronised even  through the 60's.

Outline planning permission was given for the Lagoon, the first leisure pool in Scotland which opened in 1987. Despite local objection throughout the 1980s the Baths were finally closed and demolished in October 1989. This closure was particularly sad because this was the first such establishment in Scotland to accommodate indoor swimming and apparently had been the venue for the first game of Water Polo.

Extracted from the Thesis "SCOTTISH BATHS 1868-1914 AND THEIR CONSERVATION" by DOUGLAS M. CAMPBELL B.Sc.

I explained all this above.

and posted links.

The wee pool was the original, with different dimensions from the later two.  Changes were made to develop/include the public individual baths, plunge pools and steam rooms.  The so-called Turkish baths.  (Which were brilliant!).

Those two later pools became the Men’s and Women’s pools.  

Aye,

all of the “new” George Street/Canal Street scheme (from Wardrop Street to the High flats) had central heating that was piped as excess from the baths heating system.

except for all the houses in Sir Michael Place, which were the first built, and completed/inhabited by 1957.

All the scheme’s wash houses were also supplied from there.

I recall playing in the new boiler complex as it was being built, at the South end of the baths complex.  Some scary bits in which you could get trapped…

originally the water and heating supply for the first pool/baths was by using the excess supply provided by the old dye works which were behind what was then Paisley Technical College.

This new boiler works replaced (and modernised) that dye works supply when it was closed

Maybe not the correct thread for this question, but let's go anyway........ can anyone recall the name of the cracking wee record shop in (I think ??) Johnston Street back in the 1970s ? Old git's memory failure again !!!

Maybe not the correct thread for this question, but let's go anyway........ can anyone recall the name of the cracking wee record shop in (I think ??) Johnston Street back in the 1970s ? Old git's memory failure again !!!

Oh, well most remember

Stereo One bottom of Moss St /Love St

Johnstone St ? Ooft … cannae mind

6 minutes ago, Scott-Leeds said:

Oh, well most remember

Stereo One bottom of Moss St /Love St

Johnstone St ? Ooft … cannae mind

Afore mah time, but…

I googled.  :)

The answer is down in the depths of the following article.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/gavins-groove-takes-iconic-paisley-8985621

I hope this helps?  

6 minutes ago, antrin said:

Afore mah time, but…

I googled.  :)

The answer is down in the depths of the following article.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/gavins-groove-takes-iconic-paisley-8985621

I hope this helps?  

Bizarrely, that's not the shop I had in mind. Definitely in the 1970s so pre-dates the 1986 shop.

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Bizarrely, that's not the shop I had in mind. Definitely in the 1970s so pre-dates the 1986 shop.

You are thinking of the record shop on the right hand side of the road heading towards the old fire station It’s the shop that MSP George Adams had as his office until recently

Unfortunately I can’t remember the name of it either 🤔

Ok….

so I went to Google maps and travelled back in time (only allowing me to do so to 2020)…

3 wee shops on left just afore the fire station 2 hair shops  and A. N. Other

Luna, hair design and spray tan

MastHairPiece ( hair loss!)

and…Platinum?

Does Platinum work?

then it’s Top Wok.

Eta

hmm.   Looking closely Platinum may also have a ‘hair’ subtext.  Can’t be sure.

eta got back to 2008

not much better

Baby bumps, JBS barber and J Spot of beauty.  :(

Edited by antrin

18 minutes ago, HSS said:

You are thinking of the record shop on the right hand side of the road heading towards the old fire station It’s the shop that MSP George Adams had as his office until recently

Unfortunately I can’t remember the name of it either 🤔

Yes John, that's  the one. I think it was the last shop on the right as you head towards the old fire station. A very helpful wee woman was usually behind the counter.