Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

11 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Billy Smarts circus, I remember this fairly clearly, passing by Andrew Street on the way to the racecourse, elephants and all. 

May be an image of standing and outdoors

May be an image of 1 person and outdoors

Great pictures. The animals arrived by rail and unloaded at the shunting area at Greenlaw.

Watched them arrive.

This weeks 'Then' image from the Heritage Library is another re-release showing Gordon Street about 1970.

Possibly the best photo I've seen of the old Gordon Street, it reveals how the old street used to look before the buildings on the left were torn down to create the Dual Carriageway we have now.

The Tower of the old Fire Station is in the centre background where Johnstone Street converges. On the left foreground is Lawsons clothing store (for which you got a credit 'line' or a Provident Cheque unless you were 'comfortable' if I remember righly), and on the right a Bus emerges from the old Western S.M.T. Bus Station, and Lews, which was like an Army & Navy type store which stocked just about all your Work or Camping requisites. For me it was 'Commando' Boots, Desert Boots, Wranglers, Haversacks, Beanie and Bobcaps, and for a one time 'trend' when we all wore 'Commando' hats as young teens. I almost bought an Afghan Coat fancying being a 'Hippy'!! Happy Days indeed 😃

May be an image of street and text that says "LEWS"

On 3/26/2022 at 10:43 AM, faraway saint said:

This weeks 'Then' image from the Heritage Library is another re-release showing Gordon Street about 1970.

Possibly the best photo I've seen of the old Gordon Street, it reveals how the old street used to look before the buildings on the left were torn down to create the Dual Carriageway we have now.

The Tower of the old Fire Station is in the centre background where Johnstone Street converges. On the left foreground is Lawsons clothing store (for which you got a credit 'line' or a Provident Cheque unless you were 'comfortable' if I remember righly), and on the right a Bus emerges from the old Western S.M.T. Bus Station, and Lews, which was like an Army & Navy type store which stocked just about all your Work or Camping requisites. For me it was 'Commando' Boots, Desert Boots, Wranglers, Haversacks, Beanie and Bobcaps, and for a one time 'trend' when we all wore 'Commando' hats as young teens. I almost bought an Afghan Coat fancying being a 'Hippy'!! Happy Days indeed 😃

May be an image of street and text that says "LEWS"

Lews was a great store. There was a gents outfitters diagonally across from Lews, can’t remember the name? It shut down sometime in the late 80s early 90s. I remember going into the bus station and getting the bus to Blackpool, ah the good old days.

Edited by ALBIONSAINT

5 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:
7 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:
Lews was a great store. There was a gents outfitters diagonally across from Lews, can’t remember the name? It shut down sometime in the late 80s early 90s. I remember going into the bus station and getting the bus to Blackpool, ah the good old days.

Think it was called Gilt Edge.

Think your right, it was the only alternative to Burtons in Paisley 

5 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Think your right, it was the only alternative to Burtons in Paisley 

City Cash Tailors and Jackson The Tailor are another two I can think of as alternative to Burtons

2 hours ago, Slarti said:
4 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:
Think it was called Gilt Edge.

Was it not Gilt Edged?

It was

There is still a Gilt Edged just down from the Tollbooth in Glasgow 

10 minutes ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

There was also Cowan's Menswear in High St.

I knew there was another but couldn’t remember name……….despite shopping in it for a good few years 

2 hours ago, HSS said:

I knew there was another but couldn’t remember name……….despite shopping in it for a good few years 

And how about Houston’s - an HSS neighbour?  It was general menswear afore the kilt fetishism kicked in.

(by coincidence, I’m actually wearing a t shirt I got from there, right now).

And is Wilkinsons along Wellmeadow still on the go?

29 minutes ago, antrin said:

And how about Houston’s - an HSS neighbour?  It was general menswear afore the kilt fetishism kicked in.

(by coincidence, I’m actually wearing a t shirt I got from there, right now).

And is Wilkinsons along Wellmeadow still on the go?

I didn’t realise that Houston’s wasn’t always a kilt shop 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Wilkinson has shut down,don’t think they ever reopened after the lockdown

30 minutes ago, HSS said:

I didn’t realise that Houston’s wasn’t always a kilt shop 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Wilkinson has shut down,don’t think they ever reopened after the lockdown

Houston’s had good shirts/trousers etc, in the 60s.

And here's the t-shirt I mentioned.  Got that in the 90s.  Probably 96 or 97.   You could see the kilt thing kicking in, even then.

C328913E-3060-43C2-BDCF-5901CC6C7AFF.jpeg

Edited by antrin