Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

They appeared on Homes under the Hammer, but I think they may have run out of money as I’m sure I read sometime later that they had to let it go.
https://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/details/900721
Didn't know or hear of them letting it go, thought they had just paused and were just trying to raise the money required to finish it.

13 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:
1 hour ago, SuperSaints1877 said:
They appeared on Homes under the Hammer, but I think they may have run out of money as I’m sure I read sometime later that they had to let it go.
https://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/details/900721

Didn't know or hear of them letting it go, thought they had just paused and were just trying to raise the money required to finish it.

I hope you are right. 

• 2 weeks later...

Spent quite a lot of time in this place........................Steve Davis came along for a Q&A session, accompanied by his manager Barry "sleazy" Hearn, who only allowed written questions.

Someone had asked who was the first player to have a televised 147, was it Cliff Thorburn, Steve announced it was him in the Skoda masters (I think), and as part of the prize he received a Skoda.

In them days Skoda was seen as a bit of a joke car so I butted in and asked what did he do with it.................Hearn tried to stop Davis answering but he carried on saying it sat outside his house for some time before he gave it to his father and it sat outside his house for some time and he didn't know where it was now.  :lol:

After the Q&A an elderly lady asked for a picture with Davis, again Hearn tried to prevent it but Davis, a true gentleman, said it wasn't a problem. 

He certainly dispelled the myth he was "boring" that night. :happyclapper

May be an image of text

Edited by faraway saint

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I remember when this came out, a new kid on the block to go along with the Dandy & the Beano.

What’s the link to Paisley? Excuse my ignorance.

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I lived there, Andrews Street, used the paper shop in Caledonia Street. 

Any other questions I can help you with? 🤪

It was a sad day when it blew away 💨

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I remember when this came out, a new kid on the block to go along with the Dandy & the Beano.

May be an image of text that says "19° 207.7K/s 50% 15:25 Sparky OF A N.1 NEW GREAT COMIC for BOYS and GIRLS FREE INSIDE! The FLYING SNORTER"

Baron von Reichs pudding , Spoofer McGraw , Wyatt Twerp . My gran bought it every week for me !

7 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Adams ? Or John Leslie? 

To start with it was Adams mate, then leslie took it over, no real idea of the dates.

Great wee set of shops, had everything, bakers, butchers, paper shop and I do believe a chemist going way back when I stayed above it in Caledonia Street. 

Remember this fairly well.........................

Cardosis Cafe which was on Causeyside Street, seen here in the 1930's, survived until the mid 80's. It was always a very popular meeting place for Buddies either before heading elsewhere or to just to spend an hour or two sipping a Coke or a Coffee.

May be a black-and-white image of 2 people and outdoors

Ah, Toledo Junction, loved it in there, must have spent a fortune but it was all worth it.........................:wink:

Offices of the 144 year old Paisley Daily Express in New Street. A strong presence in the town with a high circulation until recently. It relaunched in 2012 under the umbrella of Media Scotland at a lower price of 20p. Now part of the Daily Record group.
Former editor Jim Neil (brother of Andrew) who was born in the Army Drill Hall in Paisley High Street became the editor in the late 1970s having worked his way up from junior reporter to court reporter, crime reporter, industrial correspondent. Like his brother he later worked for the Sunday Times as Scottish news editor while Andrew was overall editor.
Building later became Toledo Junction and Vienna's.

No photo description available.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to get the bus to Renfrew here almost every morning...........................

Gilmour Street
It's not often a Bus comes along on the page but as is typical here's tthree at the one time !!. Cunninghams for Renfrew , a (real) McGills to Barrhead, and Western SMT to Braehead in Glenburn back in 1964. These old buses always bring to mind the 'Bus Runs' to Saltcoats or Ardrossan, usually organised as a Works 'Do' or by the local Tenants Association, happy days indeed !.
Also of note is the wee peek through the Bridge and along New Sneddon Street showing the street before refurbishment of the Tudor Bar and the construction of the Health Clinic.

May be an image of 1 person and outdoors