Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

6 hours ago, Slarti said:

I mean officially, not how folk referred to it locally. And nobody says "station", just "Gilmour Street", "Queen Street", "Glasgow Central", etc.

Yeah. No Buddie in Paisley has to use the name of the town to identify the train station. We leave that for foreigners and tourists.

Also with regards using the term “station”. It’s not used officially in any maps. So as far as I’m concerned there is hee haw need to use the term.

Could you imagine the nightmare a cartographer fitting the word station onto every stopping point?

I wonder whether the first ever Scottish cartographer was born in Paisley?

7264D5D8-3D56-4CAC-9DFB-E73C533D26A2.thumb.jpeg.2bb1843150b85441ac014615f49b247a.jpeg

1 hour ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Could you imagine the nightmare a cartographer fitting the word station onto every stopping point?I wonder whether the first ever Scottish cartographer was born in

👏

I see what you did, there!  😀

ps I always call/called it Canal Street.

Edited by antrin

21 hours ago, antrin said:

30 bob more likely..

£1 12/6d. Rings a strong bell (not tubular).

And I don’t recall glass door booths, just an enclosed cupboard for head and shoulders. (Sometimes several heads!)

You are probably right, I can't remember the doors of the cubicles, but I seem to remember the fibreboard panelled walls which were punctured in a regular pattern presumably to absorb sound (or at least that's what they thought it was doing) .

Also you are correct on the price of an album, around that price also rings a bell with me too. The price didn't change very much for a single or an album for quite a few years. First single I bought myself (not bought for me by my parents or sister) was 'Telstar' by the Tornadoes and the first album was beleive it or not was Bobby Vee meets the Crickets (which I don't have anymore 😔....... and maybe that was 17'6d!)

4 minutes ago, antrin said:

Ah, you were posh, TO59!  :) 

We didnae have a record player till  1963…

My first single, bought by my parents for me, for that record player.

Great moothie music…

(I had similar curly hair to Freddie and am specky)

Sorry, TO59… I thought Telstar record came out years earlier….  Only in 62!  :o

Came across a really interesting bit of historical info, which I had no idea existed - see: 1882 – Town Hall, Paisley, Scotland – Archiseek – Irish Architecture

There was a competition in the late 19th Century for designs to be submitted for a new Paisley Town Hall. The story behind it all is caught in the attached webpage but the diagrams are really interesting.

The first set of plans was by John Robertson: The second batch was by Rennison & Scott, I believe a Paisley firm of architects and they thought they had won the commission, only for the Clark family to prevaricate and then award the job to W. H Lynn, an Irish architect (batch 3) with the final building photo as the completed project.

Paisley Town Hall 2c.jpg

Paisley Town Hall 2b.jpg

Paisley Town Hall 2a.jpg

Paisley Town Hall 1.jpg

Paisley Town Hall 3b.jpg

Paisley Town Hall 3a.jpg

Paisley Town Hall 3c.jpg

1 hour ago, antrin said:

Sorry, TO59… I thought Telstar record came out years earlier….  Only in 62!  :o

Aye and the said Bobby Vee album was a release date of 14 July 1962 and Telstar was 17 August 1962.

I had a paper round at that time, so my record collection started to appear after the start of '62.

Yeah. No Buddie in Paisley has to use the name of the town to identify the train station. We leave that for foreigners and tourists.
Also with regards using the term “station”. It’s not used officially in any maps. So as far as I’m concerned there is hee haw need to use the term.
Could you imagine the nightmare a cartographer fitting the word station onto every stopping point?
I wonder whether the first ever Scottish [/url]cartographer was born in Paisley?

7264D5D8-3D56-4CAC-9DFB-E73C533D26A2.thumb.jpeg.2bb1843150b85441ac014615f49b247a.jpeg

[/url]

Yeah, imagine putting the word "station" on that hundreds of times when it is a map showing, essentially, only stations (and how they are joined)

53 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

Came across a really interesting bit of historical info, which I had no idea existed - see: 1882 – Town Hall, Paisley, Scotland – Archiseek – Irish Architecture

I must say I’ve never liked the fussiness of those other plans/styles and prefer the simple Classical style.  
Bonnie building.

ta.   :)

51 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

Found this photo the other day which i hadn't seen before.

There are plenty of the Piazza, but not so many at this stage in construction.

Prep for the Piazza.jpg

My uncle used to say it was madness to cover over the river when many other towns and cities were making them a focal point - especially with that monstrosity.

33 minutes ago, ianmac said:

My uncle used to say it was madness to cover over the river when many other towns and cities were making them a focal point - especially with that monstrosity.

f**king idiots who sanctioned this needed to be locked up !!!  

Concrete eyesore , no matter how many facelifts it gets . 😡

27 minutes ago, ianmac said:

With most rivers, I’d probably agree, but at that time, the water was mawkit, rat infested and smelly.

especially in Summer, It runs shallow through stretches of gravel at that point and is packed with (I think rather nice!) Himalayan Balsam - which is a pernicious, unloved, invasive weed.

It probably is still at least a bit like that under the Piazza.  dredging that stretch would be expensive and would be an ongoing expense.

Have a look at the stretch in front of the Toon Hall.  It doesn’t have the glamour of Stratford’s Avon, the majesty of the Clyde or the busyness of the Thames.  I can’t see it ever being a great focal point….  :unsure:

ps as you’ve had some rain this summer, is it currently flowing well?

1 minute ago, antrin said:

With most rivers, I’d probably agree, but at that time, the water was mawkit, rat infested and smelly.

especially in Summer, It runs shallow through stretches of gravel at that point and is packed with (I think rather nice!) Himalayan Balsam - which is a pernicious, unloved, invasive weed.

It probably is still at least a bit like that under the Piazza.  dredging that stretch would be expensive and would be an ongoing expense.

Have a look at the stretch in front of the Toon Hall.  It doesn’t have the glamour of Stratford’s Avon, the majesty of the Clyde or the busyness of the Thames.  I can’t see it ever being a great focal point….  :unsure:

ps as you’ve had some rain this summer, is it currently flowing well?

Agree with that , but couldn’t that also be aimed at lots of other rivers ?   Clyde was manky , Thames still is . 

Yes it’s shallow when the waters low but so are many other town & city centre rivers,   It should have been opened up and cared for and made a focal point of the town but that’s never going to happen now. 

They’ve made a feature of the many walkways along the Clyde , why not the cart ? 

2 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

The old jail?

1 hour ago, mcd54 said:

.... and County buildings 

I thought that initially…

…but too close to the PO.

Also leading off to the left… looks just like a wee string of portakabins.

No’ the gaol.   I may be wildly wrong.