Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

1 minute ago, antrin said:

No’ the gaol.   I may be wildly wrong.

I think I AM wrong and that you CAN see cars parked in Coonty Square, through a wee gap between the Cooncil offices and the cop shop.

My apologies.  Mea culpa.

Those appear to be temporary buildings behind the Cooncil chambers.

8 hours ago, pod said:

and very shallow for most of the time. If you fell in, you would break your neck rather than drown. :whistle

Seems like a good place to dispose of a body!

Rats could feast on the dead corpse.

3 hours ago, antrin said:

I think I AM wrong and that you CAN see cars parked in Coonty Square, through a wee gap between the Cooncil offices and the cop shop.

My apologies.  Mea culpa.

Those appear to be temporary buildings behind the Cooncil chambers.

That’s what drinking the tap water where you live does to your 🧠.

Maybe book an eye test soon Roddy. 😂 

23 hours ago, ianmac said:

My uncle used to say it was madness to cover over the river when many other towns and cities were making them a focal point - especially with that monstrosity.

The irony is that through the years salmon have run both the Black and White Carts! Just ask the "fishermen" who have stood at the falls behind the Watermill and tried all kinds of methods to extract them, even in the rat infested era prior to the Piazza.

Sadness is that the decline of Salmon in the Cart isn't down to the quality of the water per se, but all the other factors that have combined to kill off a huge asset to Scotland. 😰

24 minutes ago, The Original 59er said:

The irony is that through the years salmon have run both the Black and White Carts! Just ask the "fishermen" who have stood at the falls behind the Watermill and tried all kinds of methods to extract them, even in the rat infested era prior to the Piazza.

Sadness is that the decline of Salmon in the Cart isn't down to the quality of the water per se, but all the other factors that have combined to kill off a huge asset to Scotland. 😰

I recall a speaker telling a story about a skipper who had brought his boat into the White Cart. He said that he had sailed the Black Sea and the Red Sea but it was the first time he had sailed a WC.

Pretty sure this picture, or similar, has been posted before but the airport was so emotive for many people thought I'd post it again.

Glasgow Airport
The newly opened Glasgow Airport as it was in (May)1966. The Airport became a Magnet for the youth of the day as a cool place to hang out, where you could have a Cola or a Coffee in the Buffet whilst keeping an eye open for a travelling celebrity. Over a period of a few years it offered a variety of novel ideas such as individual Televison seats with which you would pay something like a Shilling (5p today) for 15 Minutes telly viewing, and later, table top Video Games such as Space Invaders and Pac-Man
Probably the most popular pastime (for non - Plane spotters) was 'dipping the Pools'. This involved getting your shoes and socks off and wading about in the Pond(s) collecting the coins which travellers chucked in as if it were a Wishing Well, of course somebody was always nominated to 'keep Edgie' (lookout) for Davy and Peter the Polis !. Great days well remembered by a generation of young buddies
May be an image of outdoors

Anybody live close to this, or driven past it?

Congratulations to Robert McDowall of 'Barber Boabs' in Beith Road, Johnstone for the sterling work he put in in cleaning up the 125 years old Shelter on Beith Road, Quarrelton, the difference is remarkable !
The Shelter was apparently built to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee (in 1897) of Queen Victoria with the words ""To commemorate a happy reign" embossed in one of the Gable walls
May be an image of tree, outdoors and brick wall
May be an image of monument and outdoors

And just along the road to Elderslie to see their Drinking Well

I only found out about this little treasure recently and don’t know much about it

It still works and seemingly if you add it to whisky it turns the drink black 🤔

E7472912-E7E4-4FBC-864B-5426642DA253.jpeg

1 hour ago, HSS said:

And just along the road to Elderslie to see their Drinking Well

I only found out about this little treasure recently and don’t know much about it

It still works and seemingly if you add it to whisky it turns the drink black 🤔

E7472912-E7E4-4FBC-864B-5426642DA253.jpeg

Apparently due to the high levels of iron in the water that feeds the well.

On 8/23/2022 at 8:25 PM, ALBIONSAINT said:

Seem to remember some of the buildings next to here having thatched roofs? Or am getting mixed up with castle street?

I lived in Barr street, then Sir Michael Place.

Spent a huge chunk of my life at the Swimming Baths, had an auntie and uncle and cousins in the tenement building just up the hill from the the Market entrance, was in the lifeboys and BB for years just uphill from the cousins, and had a pal that lived on the top floor above the Pawn Shop.

I have absolutely no memory of thatch - other than at Tannahill’s Cottage in Queen Street.

On 8/23/2022 at 5:25 PM, pod said:

and very shallow for most of the time. If you fell in, you would break your neck rather than drown. :whistle

A young boy from Gallowhill drowned in the cart. He was playing with his pals near to the foot bridge in Abercorn Street and had been sliding down the banking. My guess would put this around late 1950 or early 60's.

8 hours ago, hamlet said:

A young boy from Gallowhill drowned in the cart. He was playing with his pals near to the foot bridge in Abercorn Street and had been sliding down the banking. My guess would put this around late 1950 or early 60's.

I used to frequent that area, there was a play park and large rope swing made on one of the old cranes and that story was said to us many times as the swing went right over a very muddy inlet. 

Smithhills Street

This weeks 'then' photo from the the Heritage Centre collection is a look North along Smithhills Street c.1961, and showing No's 14-24 with part of Robert Cochrans, the 'Mayfair' Bar, now 'TheTile', the wee Newsagents (does anyone know the name ?), W. Conville, China & Hardware, and Matthew Brown, Slaters & Plasterers. After that is the Swan Inn, the Pend leading to Sweeney's Furniture Factory, and Abbey Engineering.

Through the Bridge is a glimpse of Abercorn Street with its then 'landmark' GPO Telephone Box on the corner, and to the left the former Glasgow Corporation Electricity Generating Station, built to power the tramlines, here occupied by GC Oldfields Engineering Works

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Through the Bridge is a glimpse of Abercorn Street with its then 'landmark' GPO Telephone Box on the corner, and to the left the former Glasgow Corporation Electricity Generating Station, built to power the tramlines, here occupied by GC Oldfields Engineering Works

Is that where the weight bridge was.

..as viewed from the tenement at No.30 New Sneddon Street c.1960's. To the right is Carlile House a former Salvation Army Hostel on New Sneddon Street, and in the background, the Railway and Paisley Abbey. To the left and on the opposite side of the River is the Tenement of No.24 Abercorn Street and its neighbour Wallneuk Church. The former Glasgow Corporation Electricity Generating Station (to power the trams) is seen in the middle, by this time it will have been converted into GC Oldfields Engineering workshops.May be an image of outdoors

Edited by pod

47 minutes ago, pod said:

..as viewed from the tenement at No.30 New Sneddon Street c.1960's. To the right is Carlile House a former Salvation Army Hostel on New Sneddon Street, and in the background, the Railway and Paisley Abbey. To the left and on the opposite side of the River is the Tenement of No.24 Abercorn Street and its neighbour Wallneuk Church. The former Glasgow Corporation Electricity Generating Station (to power the trams) is seen in the middle, by this time it will have been converted into GC Oldfields Engineering workshops.May be an image of outdoors

Your line about the Salvation Army hostel , reminded me of the “model” up the west end (Arthur street?) my mother would threaten me with ending up in the model if I didn’t mend my ways.