Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

25 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

Cowans was on the High St, towards the Museum

I don't recall a tailor in the Piazza, but that doesn't mean there wasn't one before 74-5

Sorry, that's right. 

Wriggs (not sure of the spelling) Menswear?

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

I went to a tailor in 1971/1972 in the piazza for my made to measure suits. 

Got a wee book and you paid it up weekly. 

Could it have been Burton before they moved to the corner of the High St and Gilmour St  🤔

I paid up lots of made to measure suits, trousers and jackets in the mid/late 70's, I felt rich on apprentice wages mate. 🤣

13 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Could it have been Burton before they moved to the corner of the High St and Gilmour St  🤔

Burtons was never in the Piazza 

6 minutes ago, Helmettroll said:

Pretty sure your thinking about Gilt edge..

Anyone remember a guy's clothes shop in the Piazza call Chelsea boy..

Ah , that’s it 👍.  Up near the junction with Canal Street .

My sis n law was the assistant manager then Manager at Chelsea Boy.
I worked there for a brief time between other jobs in the early 80s .

1 hour ago, Tommy said:

I know Burton's was on the corner long before the Piazza was built. THere was a  Burton's dance hall in my mum and dad's heyday. It may have been above the shop.

I do know there was Goldbergs on the right hand corner, just out of view of the picture.

Edited by stlucifer

6 hours ago, ianmac said:

I remember back in the day getting a suit in a tailor's which must have been just out of this picture on the bottom left. I can't remember the name of it.

And, no, it wasn't for a court appearance, it was for a wedding.

Hepworths the Tailors.  At the time, the were the biggest clothing manufacturer in the UK.  They basically invented ready to wear mens clothing in the mid 1800's and eventually started to sell direct in their own stores.  They always advertised quality at reasonable prices.  They were certainly better than the competition and I bought a few suits from them around that time but I would dispute their use of the word "reasonable".  They also sold Hardy Amies stuff in the 70's.  They are now known as Next.

Edited by rabuddies
Forgot about HA.

22 minutes ago, rabuddies said:

Hepworths the Tailors.  At the time, the were the biggest clothing manufacturer in the UK.  They basically invented ready to wear mens clothing in the mid 1800's and eventually started to sell direct in their own stores.  They always advertised quality at reasonable prices.  They were certainly better than the competition and I bought a few suits from them around that time but I would dispute their use of the word "reasonable".  They also sold Hardy Amies stuff in the 70's.  They are now known as Next.

Thanks for that. I would never have remembered.

8 hours ago, ianmac said:

I remember back in the day getting a suit in a tailor's which must have been just out of this picture on the bottom left. I can't remember the name of it.

And, no, it wasn't for a court appearance, it was for a wedding.

Was there not a Jackson the Tailors. 

6 hours ago, HSS said:

Mr Bumble was a clothes shop in the Piazza

Yes, forgot about that. I got some of my ned gear in there, like Skinners - Yellow, Petrol Blue, Green etc and a couple of waistcoats, one of which I was wearing on a fateful night in Girvan ! 

I’ve said previously, like many of you all that this is by far and away the best thread on here, by quite a distance

I’m genuinely grateful for the pictures/comments and memories you all share

I genuinely really don’t mind being older 53 - but, I really miss my youth and Paisley from when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s

We’ve all got great wee stories to share and It’s sad there’s nothing in recent times to come close to what you all share on here

Still a town in decline but can it recover in our lifetime?

10 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Chelsea boy and chelsea girl eventually became topman, topgirl and topshop

Just checked with my Sis n law.  Chelsea Boy & Chelsea Girl were two different companies. 

Chelsea Boy was owned by a guy Called Harvey Fields who sold the shops to the Sears group who re-named it as Your Price - ran as that for a couple of years before closing .

Chelsea Girl were owned by Arcadia Group ( Top man , top girl, Burton etc ) and when they hit financial trouble the chain of C.Girl shops were sold to River Island . 

1 hour ago, Scott-Leeds said:

Still a town in decline but can it recover in our lifetime?

Drill hall going through renovation for student accommodation, museum and town hall being modernised. New housing builds in town centre. 

Hopefully planned work for Paisley Centre goes ahead.  A great football team.   I see a recovery, if every so slight.