Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

24 minutes ago, pod said:

Drill hall going through renovation for student accommodation, museum and town hall being modernised. New housing builds in town centre. 

Hopefully planned work for Paisley Centre goes ahead.  A great football team.   I see a recovery, if every so slight. 

I do hope so , it’s long overdue .  

Love my town but every time I hit the town centre it saddens me .  🙁

1 hour ago, pod said:

Drill hall going through renovation for student accommodation, museum and town hall being modernised. New housing builds in town centre. 

The work on the Drill Hall has come to a complete standstill with nothing being done to it for months now I believe it’s up for sale/recently sold so hopefully we see work restarting soon

I do hope so , it’s long overdue .  

Love my town but every time I hit the town centre it saddens me .  [emoji853]

We normally park at the ground then walk into town before the game - wee sausage sandwich from train station café then a wander : Paisley Centre is a ghost town

Until adequate free parking - road system opened up and a reason for people to come to town ? It won’t change

The impact of out of town shopping centres is enormous then add in online shopping ; Too many alternatives to the poorly accessible town centre

8 minutes ago, Scott-Leeds said:

We normally park at the ground then walk into town before the game - wee sausage sandwich from train station café then a wander : Paisley Centre is a ghost town

Until adequate free parking - road system opened up and a reason for people to come to town ? It won’t change

The impact of out of town shopping centres is enormous then add in online shopping ; Too many alternatives to the poorly accessible town centre

Just about every town is suffering,it’s not just a Paisley problem

One I find strange is Renfrew,it’s the closest town to Braehead yet there’s hardly an empty shop unit in the town centre

On 9/21/2022 at 4:57 PM, Callum Gilhooley said:

When you go to N.Ireland and drive through sizeable towns like Cookstown ,Dungannon, Ballymena, Armagh & Lisburn they all seem to be doing well.   
Possibly a slight reduction in shops compared to 5-10 years ago but nothing compared to Paisley, Perth, Dumfries etc .

Arbroath, over the last 32 years has seen a slow,  but sure, decline in decent shops.

The locals whined about not having this and that when they, comparatively speaking, did have a reasonable choice so they, in droves, travelled to Dundee.

Now the High Street is reflective of many in Scotland, charity shops, betting shops and a few small privately owned shops leaving us with NO real choice for shoes(not one shoe shop) and clothes.

It's easy to blame local councils, Arbroath has its own percentage of wasters in that department, but the public can't have it both ways in using retail parks and whining they have no local shops. 

Edited by faraway saint

Down here its like chalk and cheese between whitehaven and workington.  As much as whitehaven promotes itself as a historic market town the run down town centre doesn't go well with the amount they have spent on the harbour and marina which aren't bad at all. Good views of empty shop units. Sellafield put a lot in financially for any office spaces they can get their hands on so you can imagine the impact covid had on the town with all the working from home.

On the other hand in workington it's the complete opposite busy shops in town and out of town sites. Even has the customary empty debenhams building.

Stanley is in the funny position of being half way between Durham and Newcastle and MrsS has said that the town centre has been slowly dying since the main road was pedestrianised (sound familiar?) Town centre now mainly comprised of banks, bookies, bakers, barbers with a couple of supermarkets but now even the banks are pulling out!

22 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

Stanley is in the funny position of being half way between Durham and Newcastle and MrsS has said that the town centre has been slowly dying since the main road was pedestrianised (sound familiar?) Town centre now mainly comprised of banks, bookies, bakers, barbers with a couple of supermarkets but now even the banks are pulling out!

Pedestrianising town centres all good if they thought about parking, decent road links and public transport.

In fact everything that most out of town do have and thats one of the reasons why they succeed.

Over here the same where banks are concerned and their buildings lie empty due to cost of changing purpose etc

7 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Arbroath, over the last 32 years has seen a slow,  but sure, decline in decent shops.

The locals whined about not having this and that when they, comparatively speaking, did have a reasonable choice so they, in droves, travelled to Dundee.

Now the High Street is reflective of many in Scotland, charity shops, betting shops and a few small privately owned shops leaving us with NO real choice for shoes(not one shoe shop) and clothes.

It's easy to blame local councils, Arbroath has its own percentage of wasters in that department, but the public can't have it both ways in using retail parks and whining they have no local shops. 

Yup , and many of those who bemoan the lack of shops and facilities in their town are the very people who wait in anticipation of their latest delivery from Amazon / eBay etc .

Dont use it , you’ll lose it 👎

3 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

I worked down your area a few months ago, Consett to be exact, I thought it was quite a nice wee town, ( at least the area I was working) I rented a house in a village called 'No place' strange name but it does exist just outside Stanley, your correct Stanley isn't the greatest of places, an Asda and an Aldi/lidl across the street from one another is about all it has to offer as far as I seen, but a couple of miles down the road in a town just after No Place there a wee shop that sells the best scotch eggs I've ever tasted, pretty famous shop down that area I'm led to believe... Surely Stanley Saints snarled a few...

Ah, Consett, is the Glasgow to our Paisley, anything going, Consett gets it, Stanley follows a few years later when the cash is scraped together! I have indeed sampled the scotch eggs of which you speak, the haggis ones are particularly fine, The Scotch Egg company I think they are called, all sorts of fillings, not sure if they are available online but are really tasty. Drive past No Place regularly but don't pass through it, was the Beamish Mary still open when you were there? Good tale about a football trip from work and the lads being pulled over and trying to explain to midlands cops that the driver's address was in No Place 😀

From Facebook

1061 to Abbotsinch

A Standard Tram, No.1061, on the short branch line to Abbotsinch, which was predominantly to serve the workers of the Shipbuilding industry of the River Cart to the north of the town. The branch opened in 1904 and ran via Love Street and Inchiinan Road, however the route was short lived due being unprofitable and the service cut back to terminate at Springbank Road with the service being withdrawn completely in 1918

FB_IMG_1664118531371.jpg