Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

47 minutes ago, saint in exile said:

I had family in Consett, so visited a few times when I was young. It was a dirty, dreary place, but busy. The pits were still open, so that probably explained the grime. What happened to the area when the pits shut down?

Both the pits and the steelworks closed and the town received a lot of cash for regeneration, the Genesis project did a lot to create shopping and business areas, some large new housing estates were created. The shopping is of out of town type but because of the proximity to the centre of town you can park up and walk into the town or shopping as required. The old part of town and the many pubs are still traditional as they may have been when you were last here, so I guess it has been a success. Stanley had its pits closed but because of steelworks Consett got more cash and Stanley, which was of a similar size at the time, lagged far behind but some recent investment has helped but it has a very long way to go.

On 9/23/2022 at 3:36 PM, faraway saint said:

Arbroath, over the last 32 years has seen a slow,  but sure, decline in decent shops.

The locals whined about not having this and that when they, comparatively speaking, did have a reasonable choice so they, in droves, travelled to Dundee.

Now the High Street is reflective of many in Scotland, charity shops, betting shops and a few small privately owned shops leaving us with NO real choice for shoes(not one shoe shop) and clothes.

It's easy to blame local councils, Arbroath has its own percentage of wasters in that department, but the public can't have it both ways in using retail parks and whining they have no local shops. 

If anyone opened a shoe shop would the council put on shoelace- tieing classes at the library and community centre?

On 9/21/2022 at 3:57 PM, Callum Gilhooley said:

When you go to N.Ireland and drive through sizeable towns like Cookstown ,Dungannon, Ballymena, Armagh & Lisburn they all seem to be doing well.   
Possibly a slight reduction in shops compared to 5-10 years ago but nothing compared to Paisley, Perth, Dumfries etc .

I was around Enniskillen for work 3 years ago and it had the feeling of quite a prosperous town, quite surprisingly so.  I didn't go to the shops or pubs as i was staying out of town at the big golf and country club resort a few miles out of town.  That place was surprisingly cheap as it was within the cap on hotel prices applied by my employer

4 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

I was around Enniskillen for work 3 years ago and it had the feeling of quite a prosperous town, quite surprisingly so.  I didn't go to the shops or pubs as i was staying out of town at the big golf and country club resort a few miles out of town.  That place was surprisingly cheap as it was within the cap on hotel prices applied by my employer

Still very much the case .  Hotels are still cheap and despite a few empty town centre units - the place is still buzzing . I was there at the end of August and the town was heaving .
On my way back to Belfast I drove through Omagh also , again , full of life .

On 6/23/2022 at 10:52 PM, SuperSaints1877 said:

I’ve mentioned this before, but any time I cross the viaduct at the Airport the new electronic advertising system with the Paisley pattern gantry is never in operation. 

Anyone know why? 

The screen mysteriously started working on Sept 8th and had a picture of a stamp until the 20th Sept

Its now up and running showing lovely,,colourful adverts for the passing motorists 📺🚗🚕🚓🏎🚜🛵🚌🚛🛻🏍

Theres a new screen on the Barrhead Rd at the Silver Thread as well 

On 9/23/2022 at 3:36 PM, faraway saint said:

Now the High Street is reflective of many in Scotland, charity shops, betting shops and a few small privately owned shops leaving us with NO real choice for shoes(not one shoe shop) and clothes.

Excuse me, I am new to Arbroath, could you direct me to the one shoe shop please.

5F12E9F4-5233-44CB-BC07-217B5F669390.jpeg

1960 seemingly, yet all too familiar........................

This week’s "Then" image from the Heritage Centre is c.1960 and is of a cobbled New Street, looking up Churchhill towards the High Church. Hepworth’s the Tailor and Tyler Shoe Shop are to the right of Churchhill with Mansfield Shoe Shop on the corner with High Street on the left, and Terleys * on the right, below the YMCA. I can't unfortunately remember the other shops in the row, other than WH Smiths

May be an image of 2 people, outdoors and text

24 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

1960 seemingly, yet all too familiar........................

This week’s "Then" image from the Heritage Centre is c.1960 and is of a cobbled New Street, looking up Churchhill towards the High Church. Hepworth’s the Tailor and Tyler Shoe Shop are to the right of Churchhill with Mansfield Shoe Shop on the corner with High Street on the left, and Terleys * on the right, below the YMCA. I can't unfortunately remember the other shops in the row, other than WH Smiths

May be an image of 2 people, outdoors and text

Don’t think W H Smith were there back in these days Watsons the Butcher was next  door to Terleys at the wee bus bay

On 10/8/2022 at 6:31 AM, shull said:

FB_IMG_1665207050171.jpg

This post got me thinking of that bus route to Ayr.

It was one of a myriad of buses that came along Glasgow Road past Barshaw Park and came to the town centre, but the Ayr bus along with a few others went down Cotton Street where it stopped opposite the Abbey.

However I have been trying to work out exactly what the route would have been for the bus as it left Paisley. Did it head through Barrhead and then south? I can't really remember, but someone here will!

Largs, Saltcoats and Ayr busses left Cotton Street, along Gordon Street and up Canal Street, to join George Street.

Elderslie, Johnstone, Lochwinnoch etc down to Ayrshire and the coast.

Going down and up Hailey Brae was always a highlight on the Largs run.

yours etc.

Someone Here.  :)

2 hours ago, antrin said:

Largs, Saltcoats and Ayr busses left Cotton Street, along Gordon Street and up Canal Street, to join George Street.

Elderslie, Johnstone, Lochwinnoch etc down to Ayrshire and the coast.

Going down and up Hailey Brae was always a highlight on the Largs run.

yours etc.

Someone Here.  :)

Haylie, apparently.  :unsure:

On 9/21/2022 at 3:50 PM, HSS said:

Just about every town is suffering,it’s not just a Paisley problem

One I find strange is Renfrew,it’s the closest town to Braehead yet there’s hardly an empty shop unit in the town centre

Renfrew has always been like that, residents are very loyal to shops and pubs

maybe being at the intersection of two major roads helps as well as the well populated town centre- 

6 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Renfrew has always been like that, residents are very loyal to shops and pubs

maybe being at the intersection of two major roads helps as well as the well populated town centre- 

Having a small town centre with free parking certainly help. 

Easy for me to wander into the town from my house to visit any small shop, is far easier from when i was living in Paisley.

Only down side i feel is a lack of good pubs.

On 7/29/2022 at 9:32 AM, HSS said:

I see there is work going on at the Methodist Halls just now The workers took down the sign at the front door the other day,hopefully it goes back up when the work is completed 🤔

F80A1C27-5604-4449-B512-51C0D6DD2DE3.jpeg

The sign has been reinstated and is looking lovely………….

7A65B660-6701-4D51-8EA3-93D226D2FB78.jpeg