Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

16 hours ago, buddiecat said:

Not a very charming place these days.

Surprised at this comment.

I was in there about 6 weeks ago, a Saturday night, and it had a very decent crowd in and not a hint of trouble.

A mate of mines has recently returned from Benidorm and has made this his pub of choice most weekend. 

Oh, and the staff were excellent. 

Edited by faraway saint

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Surprised at this comment.

I was in there about 6 weeks ago, a Saturday night, and it had a very decent crowd in and not a hint of trouble.

A mate of mines has recently returned from Benidorm and has made this his pub of choice most weekend. 

Oh, and the staff were excellent. 

The story I heard that he wasn’t happy when he was barred for killing a certain Adam and the Ants song on the karaoke.

4 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Bailies, the abercorn, the friars hall, wig and pen. Walk through any of them and you got the sudden urge that you needed to eat a big bag of onion rings. 

I frequented The Abercorn for quite a few years, probably around the mid 80's and never really noticed.

The Wig and Pen was a haunt around the late 70's as they'd serve anyone. :lol:

Friarshall was too far away to visit, probably less than half a dozen times for me over the years. 

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Went in a few times but, as I don't "smoke" it was not a place I felt really comfortable. :rolleyes:

Better known as "Baillies". 

Fiesta Bar , Gilmour Street- who remembers going here for a libation or two.

May be an image of 7 people and outdoors

I had a few mates that loved this pub but it wasn't for me.

I always felt it was a depressing venue with more miserable faces than most pubs in the town.

Maybe I was unlucky when I made a few visits but I never stayed long as the stink of weed made me feel sick. 

This guy was well after my time, a different family owned it when I was young. 

The Alamo Bar
A Paisley institution, that was The Alamo Bar (in Caledonia Street), has now sadly closed it's doors for good and has been sold apparently and is currently being renovated.
The Alamo Bar, in Caledonia Street, is themed for the famous mission in San Antonio, Texas, that saw an historic act of resistance by a small group of fighters for Texan independence from Mexico in 1836.
The bar adorned with cowboy hats, Stars and Stripes of various sizes, guns and feathers. It was also known as a music venue.
A Daily Record article by Lynn Jolly tells the readers the popular bar was owned by Billy ‘Chaddy’ Chadwick for over 24 years and that he had a fascination with the Wild West from childhood. He said: “When I was a kid growing up in Hull, I used to read cowboy comics.
“I wrote to the old cowboy stars — Rod Cameron and Forrest Tucker and all of them — for their pictures.
“Every Christmas, I’d get a Western annual, cowboys, guns and all of that.
“When I moved to Paisley, I still had that interest. “Any cowboy film at the Regal or La Scala, I’d be there.”
When Chaddy joined the Merchant Navy, he would scour the ships’ libraries, looking for books on the Wild West.
He added: “I started reading books about the history of the West, cowboys, American Indians and the Civil War and it just gradually bloomed from there.”
It was when the Alamo came up for sale that it seemed an ideal opportunity for Chaddy, late wife Bonny and her brother, Tony, to make a living out of a life-long passion.
One of the most treasured possessions at the bar is a Texan flag that has flown over the Alamo.
This was presented to Chaddy at the Alamo Mission, in San Antonio, when he was there on one of his many visits with regulars and friends.
“Texas is special,” he said. “Because, when I think of the West, I think of Texas.
“And, of course, the Alamo is the shrine of Texas liberty.”
Ever since he bought the bar, a little bit of Texas has existed in Paisley’s Caledonia Street. Customers can regularly been seen wearing cowboy gear, with their stetsons kept behind the bar, ready to complete the look.
“You can feel the atmosphere,” Chaddy said. “That’s what it’s a
ll about.”
Now like the Alamo Mission of Davy Crocket the wee Alamo Bar has been consigned to history.
As. Footnote I had a Davy Crocket fur hat with its wee tail and my plastic Davy Bowie Knife.
Eddie McRorie

May be an image of 1 person and standing
May be an image of 1 person and standing

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Never seen this before, quite interesting

Was a sad day to see the Alamo shut.

There were a few good characters that worked and drank in there.

The traditions that they retained were superb. 

It was used by away supporters on match day especially since the new stadium was built and the old traditional pubs when Love St was around closed down.

It was never really used frequently by home fans if my memory is correct. Some of the locals and staff now reside at the Court Bar which I believe is now up for sale.

A lot of traditional pubs are under threat of closure now. I pop in some days into town and a certain times in most pubs there are more staff than punters. 

As Bob Dylan would say “the times they are a-changin!”

Probably because punters like you have built pubs in their back garden now.

It’s basically all your fault!