Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

55 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

It is the Courtyard, bus has turned on to Fairway Avenue,  to proceed up and over the hill to the terminus at the Skye Crescent shops, pub eventually became the Gleniffer Hotel, don't know if it is still open.

Still open,very busy place although it’s restaurant/functions now They have actually done away with the pub part of the building 

3 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

It is the Courtyard, bus has turned on to Fairway Avenue,  to proceed up and over the hill to the terminus at the Skye Crescent shops, pub eventually became the Gleniffer Hotel, don't know if it is still open.

Cannae read the bus sign, but could it not just be a Braehead bus coming back down the road, as usual?

2 hours ago, HSS said:

Still open,very busy place although it’s restaurant/functions now They have actually done away with the pub part of the building 

Now owned by a Saint fan. 

I have £100 worth of vouchers for the place and been told the food is good. 

11 minutes ago, antrin said:

Cannae read the bus sign, but could it not just be a Braehead bus coming back down the road, as usual?

It would still be going to the terminus at Fairway, it just wouldn't be its terminus.  Anyway, it's no' a terminus any more, no services terminate there now.

11 hours ago, Slarti said:

It would still be going to the terminus at Fairway, it just wouldn't be its terminus.  Anyway, it's no' a terminus any more, no services terminate there now.

In the olden days…

Rid buses went from toon up to Fairway, up Fairway to Braehead roundabout, where they terminated, turned round and went back tae toon.

Skye Crescent buses served the more central part of Glenburn.

From toon up to Skye Crescent (via Falside, iirc… mibbe Fintry) where it terminated.

but that was in SMT days…  not McGills.  I’m sure things changed.  However…

… in the olden days, The Courtyard was, I believe, on Glenburn Road… down which that bus is hurling…  not Fairway as erroneously added to that pic.

Here’s a more trustworthy source (Cairters Corner) who originally posted it in 2019.

https://twitter.com/CairtersSMFC/status/1146891999771013121/photo/1

Not the olden days…

bus and building have changed. Road remains the same.

see below

Edited by antrin

In the olden days…
Rid buses went from toon up to Fairway, up Fairway to Braehead roundabout, where they terminated, turned round and went back tae toon.
From toon up to Skye Crescent (via Falside, iirc… mibbe Fintry) where it terminated.

… in the olden days, The Courtyard was, I believe, on Glenburn Road… down which that bus is hurling…  not Fairway as erroneously added to that pic.
Here’s a more trustworthy source (Cairters Corner) who originally posted it in 2019.

Not the olden days…

see below

The Courtyard (now the Gleniffer) is indeed on Glenburn Road (facing the end of Fairway Avenue), but the bus is going along Fairway (away from Glenburn Road), it's the only way you can get that view of the Courtyard (Gleniffer). The wee bend on the right of the picture takes you round to the Glenburn Road shops. Also, the cow in the field (above the bus in the picture) is still there, I recognise it. I pass the Gleniffer every day, want a picture?

Cairters cannae even spell Gleniffer (it's 1 "n", 2 "f"s), so ah widnae trust him.

18 minutes ago, Slarti said:

The Courtyard (now the Gleniffer) is indeed on Glenburn Road (facing the end of Fairway Avenue), but the bus is going along Fairway (away from Glenburn Road), it's the only way you can get that view of the Courtyard (Gleniffer). The wee bend on the right of the picture takes you round to the Glenburn Road shops. Also, the cow in the field (above the bus in the picture) is still there, I recognise it. I pass the Gleniffer every day, want a picture?

The picture even says it's Fairway Avenue in the 1980s.

I disagree.

and if you look above, at that Cairters Corner pic posted (in 2019) by Cairters Corner (a very trustworthy reliable Buddie), he also believes it is Glenburn Road.

The original pic had no location attribution on it.

I could be wrong.   But, like fartaway, I will never admit to that.

Edited by antrin

I disagree.
and if you look above, at that Cairters Corner pic posted (in 2019) by Cairters Corner (a very trustworthy reliable Buddie), he also believes it is Glenburn Road.
The original pic had no location attribution on it.
I could be wrong but  I doubt it.

eta
it’s years since I’ve been there. (I had an Auntie and Uncle living at that bit of Glenburn Road).
I see that , like the busses, the building has been “remodelled”, too.
if only someone living nearby could post other current pictures convincing me….
I thought my Google earth bus offering would suffice…
The Courtyard/Glennifer is indeed on Glenburn Road. The road the bus is on is Fairway Avenue.

41ed83bec367c0ca3b2d2a669989c067.jpg f8a13b1f390606e32c638723f8b7b230.jpg

PS had the misfortune of having to stay on Glenburn Road for a year. [emoji44]

9 hours ago, antrin said:

In the olden days…

Not the olden days…

see below

You’ve slightly misunderstood Cairters pic title and what is being discussed here.  
As has been pointed out to good effect here, the Courtyard / Gleniffer is indeed on Glenburn road as Cairter said but the bus has turned off Glenburn road and is “hurtling” as one poster put it - down Fairway avenue.
 Although that last part I’m dubious about - knowing the nick those McGills buses were in , I’d say hurtling was somewhat wide of the mark 😂

12 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

You’ve slightly misunderstood Cairters pic title and what is being discussed here.  
i may well have done…

As has been pointed out to good effect here, the Courtyard / Gleniffer is indeed on Glenburn road as Cairter said but the bus has turned off Glenburn road and is “hurtling” as one poster put it - down Fairway avenue.
 Although that last part I’m dubious about - knowing the nick those McGills buses were in , I’d say hurtling was somewhat wide of the mark 😂

The word used was “hurling”. Not hurtling…

as in example “c”, here…

https://www.dsl.ac.uk/entry/dost/hurling