Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

On 1/18/2023 at 6:07 AM, faraway saint said:

No seen this one before, what's the pub name in the background, nowhere near where I lived so was never in it?

Tried "zooming in" but couldn't make the sign out, if that's the name. 

PS Is it The Courtyard? 

May be an image of tree, road and text that says "Fairway Avenue 1980's"

Bus heading up Fairway Avenue was if memory serves me right, a McGill's of Barrhead bus which ran to and terminated at Skye Crescent shops. 

Can't remember if it ran to Springbank Road or Hawkhead.

Western SMT ran along Glenburn Road to Braehead Road terminal, some occasionally ran down to the  Mormon Church, bottom of Glenburn Road.

Edited by pod

14 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

No picture supplied but seen this, not my area of the town until I was in my early 20's and as it doesn't ring a bell I'll assume it was gone by then? (early 80's)

Anyone remember wee Joe Sweet shop corner of Neilston and Braids Rd ?

I believe that became and still is Jacks convenience store / takeaway .  

It was our regular haunt for morning rolls when I was an apprentice at Lochfield garage . I’m sure it became Jacks about 1979-80 ish . 

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I believe that became and still is Jacks convenience store / takeaway .  

It was our regular haunt for morning rolls when I was an apprentice at Lochfield garage . I’m sure it became Jacks about 1979-80 ish . 

Remember it as both the sweet shop and the convenience store.  As kids, we used to walk home from the baths on a Saturday to save the bus fare and spent it there, usually.  In the 80s, I lived in McIntyre Place and used to bump into Campbell Money at the shop on a Sunday morning.   I think he lived more towards Potterhill.

Just wanted to add, the McGill's buses that served Glenburn were on the Skye Cres-St James St via New St service.  The terminus on Glenburn Rd was Fereneze Drive.  I remember being told in Primary that the Renfrew Ferry-Fereneze Dr route was one of the busest in Britain due to the number of shoppers and workers using it to access other services and the workplaces around Paisley.  Some of those teachers were lying gits, though. 

Edited by beyond our ken

14 hours ago, pod said:

Bus heading up Fairway Avenue was if memory serves me right, a McGill's of Barrhead bus which ran to and terminated at Skye Crescent shops. 

Can't remember if it ran to Springbank Road or Hawkhead.

Western SMT ran along Glenburn Road to Braehead Road terminal, some occasionally ran down to the  Mormon Church, bottom of Glenburn Road.

one or two about-faced at Braehead, but the main route was to the terminus at Fereneze Dr.

On 1/18/2023 at 11:30 PM, antrin said:

In the olden days…

Rid buses went from toon up to Fairway, up Fairway to Braehead roundabout, where they terminated, turned round and went back tae toon.

Skye Crescent buses served the more central part of Glenburn.

From toon up to Skye Crescent (via Falside, iirc… mibbe Fintry) where it terminated.

but that was in SMT days…  not McGills.  I’m sure things changed.  However…

… in the olden days, The Courtyard was, I believe, on Glenburn Road… down which that bus is hurling…  not Fairway as erroneously added to that pic.

Here’s a more trustworthy source (Cairters Corner) who originally posted it in 2019.

https://twitter.com/CairtersSMFC/status/1146891999771013121/photo/1

Not the olden days…

bus and building have changed. Road remains the same.

see below

the bus is headed uphill.

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

No picture supplied but seen this, not my area of the town until I was in my early 20's and as it doesn't ring a bell I'll assume it was gone by then? (early 80's)

Was that on the other corner from the shop that became a barbers....Getyourdomedone...or something similar.

On 1/18/2023 at 10:25 AM, antrin said:

Cannae read the bus sign, but could it not just be a Braehead bus coming back down the road, as usual?

No it’s a Skye Crescent McGills bus travelling up Fairway Avenue. Braehead buses didn’t go up Fairway Avenue and neither did Fereneze Drive buses.

On 1/19/2023 at 8:23 AM, Cookie Monster said:

The Courtyard/Glennifer is indeed on Glenburn Road. The road the bus is on is Fairway Avenue.

41ed83bec367c0ca3b2d2a669989c067.jpg f8a13b1f390606e32c638723f8b7b230.jpg

PS had the misfortune of having to stay on Glenburn Road for a year. emoji44.png

Wow thanks to the Google earth pic, took me back to passing driving test when the centre as there......................

Obviously just a few years back😉

8 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I was in that shop all the time when i was a kid and the guy that owned it was under 5 ft tall so likely the same shop. 

He had eyes behind his head so the chance of nicking something wasn't easy  :rolleyes:

Last i knew it was a hairdresser who did my wife hair before she shut the shop and moved down south a few years ago. 

Shop was on the left hand side if going down Braids St. 

1 hour ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

Oh yes I did Taylor the failer🙂

Whilst we're meandering.

I won't forget my examiners name.

John Major.

Being a keen cyclist I didn't feel the need to have a licence so didn't sit my test until 1991 and, yes, I sat it in the afternoon.

Edited by stlucifer

5 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

I did and passed first time, he was ok actually.

He passe me first time too, didn't live up to his name🤣🤣

Also didn't realise at the time that once you pass you aren't insured to drive instructors car so he drove me back to work. He didn't hang about neither which did confuse me at the time after being taught to drive one way then..............

Whilst typing this I've realised how long I've had my licence, omg I feel old🤣🤣

9 hours ago, Cumbriansaint72 said:

He passe me first time too, didn't live up to his name🤣🤣

Also didn't realise at the time that once you pass you aren't insured to drive instructors car so he drove me back to work. He didn't hang about neither which did confuse me at the time after being taught to drive one way then..............

Whilst typing this I've realised how long I've had my licence, omg I feel old🤣🤣

I had the same thought, 40 years this year!