Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

The North School. Played fitba on the wee grass bit to the right hand side. Also attended a 16 week painting and decorating course before I left school, one of the best things I done in my school years, saved me a fortune. 
FB_IMG_1675091225704.thumb.jpg.24e29f18c75fd3f885aa67a4f7be4ae6.jpg
Really like the stories that goes along with the photos.

https://www.facebook.com/300800233366351/posts/pfbid02yYZH9WCSjaX4oVrjyTdyoEEFgnN31HedKtrkYNZSuPihcUS1Pi83vEALh3eeRYSl/

On 1/28/2023 at 3:12 PM, antrin said:

Excellent pic.  New for me.

Wee Storie Street in the top right.  I think.

Agree wonderful picture. Not sure about Storie Street, close but I think it may be Canal Street.

Canal Street Station and Stow Brae leading to Canal Street.

Huge area for the coal merchants.

Agree wonderful picture. Not sure about Storie Street, close but I think it may be Canal Street.

Probably what is now Barr Place (dunno what it was then, but not a "Place" - maybe Barr Street). Storie Street would be almost opposite the junction of Stow Brae and Canal Street which is out of the picture at middle-right.

Dunno if my memory is fuzzy or not but I seem to recall that end of Stow Brae (or maybe all of it) being called Station Road when I was a boy.

Excellent pic.  New for me.

Wee Storie Street in the top right.  I think.

Probably what is now Barr Place (dunno what it was then, but not a "Place" - maybe Barr Street). Storie Street would be almost opposite the junction of Stow Brae and Canal Street which is out of the picture at middle-right.

Dunno if my memory is fuzzy or not but I seem to recall that end of Stow Brae (or maybe all of it) being called Station Road when I was a boy.

It's actually Barclay Street that antrin is referring to.

2b156d4c55f799d5a474f8af20d083f1.jpg

I was thinking that there might have been another street there that doesn't exist now. I think it may have been mentioned on this thread before - the name looks familiar. Surprised antrin got it wrong, after all he remembers the Abbey being built. :whistle

I went to Ferguslie Primary but after the main building started subsiding I spent P7 at the JNI, at that point called Oakshaw Primary.

When I lived in Clavering St I used to play football in the then abandoned Woodside Annexe whose entrance was just past The Hayweighs.

Edited by Eric Arthur Blair

On 1/31/2023 at 2:09 AM, Cookie Monster said:

It IS Barclay Street.  I wasn't adamant about wee Storie Street.

(Hamlet....  All those streets end on to Canal Street - and George Street. We all also knew it as Stow Brae, with Stow Street leading through to Causeyside from there .)

Barclay Street vanished in the demolition, along with West Buchanan Street and Sir Michael Street. Barr street survived: I lived there till we flitted 50 metres intae a new hoose.  Those street names were all amended to be reused in the new scheme.

I used to get intae that huge rail shed  and climb into the roof spaces on dark evenings collecting nesting/roosting pigeons for a guy in Barr Street, who "bred and raced them".  Stuffed down my jumper.

He did have a derelict hoose in his close, in which pigeons were kept

But... thinking back, reality might have been different. They might have provided meagre meat.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

The Club Bar, mainly frequented it on my way to or from somewhere, not my scene to spend a night there. 

May be an image of 1 person and outdoors

Or on a Friday afternoon after work with the loons i worked with at Naismiths at start of apprenticeship much to my dad's horror who worked there too. Bit of an eye opener working in same place as him, never lost temper etc at home, however couldn't have met a more bad tempered shite at work. 

I purchased a cracking long leather coat from Jaffe, (not the shop in this picture, the one mentioned in the details below) paid it up over, god knows how long, was my pride and joy for years. :thumbs2

HIgh Street

Jaffa Furriers on the 'other' side of the Street (No.55 High Street) c.1957, most of us will remember the shop after they crossed the road to the shop with the big upstairs window, and probably as many of us had a Leather Jacket, or a Coat, which we'd pay up out of our wages....happy days !! We've not been able so far to find a photo of the second shop if anyone can help ?

May be an image of outdoors and text

Edited by faraway saint

14 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Hardly ever in the Dusty Miller, can't really think of a reason why, in Kennedy's quite a lot.

May be an image of 3 people and outdoors

Reminds me of an old ,now late, friend , Neil Gribben. They had a good jukebox in Dusty's , which I always thought was a waste , 'cos the place was usually empty. One Friday, mid 70s , we had been out all day , went in there and Neil played a song on the Jukey called 16 Bars. I said , the Stylistics ???? He said "Aye , this is the 16th bar we've been in today " !

13 minutes ago, billyg said:

Reminds me of an old ,now late, friend , Neil Gribben. They had a good jukebox in Dusty's , which I always thought was a waste , 'cos the place was usually empty. One Friday, mid 70s , we had been out all day , went in there and Neil played a song on the Jukey called 16 Bars. I said , the Stylistics ???? He said "Aye , this is the 16th bar we've been in today " !

We started a "half pint" pub crawl at the Clachan on Neilston Road, I stayed next door, and worked our way towards the town centre.

Sounded easy, but gulping a half pint in a minute or two in every pub soon took it's toll.

Not really sure where we ended up. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

We started a "half pint" pub crawl at the Clachan on Neilston Road, I stayed next door, and worked our way towards the town centre.

Sounded easy, but gulping a half pint in a minute or two in every pub soon took it's toll.

Not really sure where we ended up. :rolleyes:

The football team that I used to run did a variation on that in the late 80's/early 90's.

It was a round of golf pub crawl. We all got a scorecard with each pub as a hole which was assigned as a par 3,4 or 5. A drink (pint/shot/bottle) was specified for each pub. Each sip/gulp counted as a stroke. So if a pint was downed in four gulps that was a four. Obviously the object was to score the least strokes. 

We started in The Charleston and worked our way down Neilston road/Causeyside Street. 18 holes if I remember correctly.

Early bravado saw several "holes in one" being achieved at the start of the round, pints included. However, by the time we reached The Tea Gardens things had slowed a bit. When we reached the 15th "hole", which I think was Langs in Moss street, everyone was hammered and nobody could really remember what happened after that. There were a lot of phone calls (landline since mobiles weren't around in those days:rolleyes:) the next morning trying to piece the latter part of the evening together.:lol:

On 2/4/2023 at 5:57 PM, faraway saint said:

I purchased a cracking long leather coat from Jaffe, (not the shop in this picture, the one mentioned in the details below) paid it up over, god knows how long, was my pride and joy for years. :thumbs2

HIgh Street

Jaffa Furriers on the 'other' side of the Street (No.55 High Street) c.1957, most of us will remember the shop after they crossed the road to the shop with the big upstairs window, and probably as many of us had a Leather Jacket, or a Coat, which we'd pay up out of our wages....happy days !! We've not been able so far to find a photo of the second shop if anyone can help ?

May be an image of outdoors and text

Bought a bikers jacket out of Jaffé when I was about 17/18.

4 minutes ago, FTOF said:

The football team that I used to run did a variation on that in the late 80's/early 90's.

It was a round of golf pub crawl. We all got a scorecard with each pub as a hole which was assigned as a par 3,4 or 5. A drink (pint/shot/bottle) was specified for each pub. Each sip/gulp counted as a stroke. So if a pint was downed in four gulps that was a four. Obviously the object was to score the least strokes. 

We started in The Charleston and worked our way down Neilston road/Causeyside Street. 18 holes if I remember correctly.

Early bravado saw several "holes in one" being achieved at the start of the round, pints included. However, by the time we reached The Tea Gardens things had slowed a bit. When we reached the 15th "hole", which I think was Langs in Moss street, everyone was hammered and nobody could really remember what happened after that. There were a lot of phone calls (landline since mobiles weren't around in those days:rolleyes:) the next morning trying to piece the latter part of the evening together.:lol:

Quite a number of pubs from The Charleston to the bottom of New Street in them days. 

I'm not sure if we went Moss St direction, even the top of New St was a blur.