Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

Today's building is so good I have two shots of it. I'll show the second and more obvious pic later on but start with the not-so-obvious however I doubt that any Buddie wouldnt recognise it. I was only in this building once and was impressed by its interior but I was only a wee boy when my Grannie took me. Would love to have another look inside.

PICTURE 4

Is this the methodist central halls?

Anyhoo - back on topic....that picture shows the Methodist Halls, and I know the old Jail used to be where the piazza is, but the river was open, where exactly was the jail in relation to where the piazza/methodist halls are today - on the Smithhills side of the river or the Gilmour St side?

The main entrance to the jail was where the Gilmour St entrance to the Piazza is now.

Pretty sure you got that right,Bluto. Our janny at Langcraigs John Martin was an officer there and the 22nd.was definitely at Sherwood. I remember reading something by Billy Connolly saying that his first ever professional gig was in Paisley and I think he said it was in the Methodist Halls.

18th Paisley , I captained the football team ! :-)

This was built by the Methodists in 1908 and as far as I am aware has not been used for any other purpose except Church Halls.

Edit: For a 25 page history of the Halls try here ... http://www.arc-metho...ley_history.pdf no mention of any other use of the building.

Here is a more recognisable shot -

post-2737-0-15699900-1331486539_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

Brilliant old building! I was inside it just last month; it's a bit of a state inside now but you can still get a feel for the place and what it would have been like in its heyday! The main hall must seat 600-800 people easily.

I can probably find a way to get you access Sonny, if you'd like in for some pics etc...

This next building will be recognised by everyone. It is an Art Deco Grade B Listed building and is magnificent. Some of you may not be aware that it probably is Paisley's oldest shop at 82 years as it has been open since 1930. When this chain of shops was being constructed they often had a snooker hall on the upper floor to attract customers. Does anyone know if Paisley's branch had one?

KTF - May take you up on that offer when I get some time! Thanks.

PICTURE 5

post-2737-0-11439000-1331418298_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

I never heard of it being asnooker hall, but I have vague memories in the 60's of it being a storeroom for cloth for the store... tho that makes little sense as suits were never made there. The building was built,( I believe), to replace the Glen cinema (site of the disaster a couple of years earlier where about 70 kids died).

The way into the Glen was that same main entrance.

That brings back memories - I remember in the 70s being down the town with my dad when we went in there and he was measured for a suit - I never gave much thought as to whether it was made on the premises or not though.

This is a smashin thread Sonny - I'm really enjoying it. thumbup2.gif

I never heard of it being asnooker hall, but I have vague memories in the 60's of it being a storeroom for cloth for the store... tho that makes little sense as suits were never made there. The building was built,( I believe), to replace the Glen cinema (site of the disaster a couple of years earlier where about 70 kids died).

The Glen Cinema is still in that building and can be viewed from the furniture store nearer the Piazza.

It wasn't actually built to replace the Glen as the Glen was in the space to the right of the current Burton's and can still be reached (but not by the public) via the furniture shop on the corner. However the entrance to the Glen was where Burton's entrance now is. A similar set-up to the old Picture House and La Scala where you had to walk a 100 yards from the entrance to the main cinema.

Attached pic shows the Glen entrance where Burton's now stands but the theatre was behind Burton's where the furniture shop now stands.

Further info here ... http://www.scottishc...ages/glen2.html

That brings back memories - I remember in the 70s being down the town with my dad when we went in there and he was measured for a suit - I never gave much thought as to whether it was made on the premises or not though.

This is a smashin thread Sonny - I'm really enjoying it. thumbup2.gif

Thanks Eddy. I am learning a hell of a lot myself!

post-2737-0-94065800-1330345606_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

This next building will be recognised by everyone. It is an Art Deco Grade B Listed building and is magnificent. Some of you may not be aware that it probably is Paisley's oldest shop at 82 years as it has been open since 1930. When this chain of shops was being constructed they often had a snooker hall on the upper floor to attract customers. Does anyone know if Paisley's branch had one?

KTF - May take you up on that offer when I get some time! Thanks.

PICTURE 5

Not sure about the snooker hall, but my 79 year old mother reckons there was dancing held there regularly in the late 40's/early 50's and that she went to her pal's wedding reception in there around that time too.

Thanks Sid - I'm assuming that pic has been taken from Smithills?

Do you reckon thats the start of the piazza being built in the middle of the river? tongue.png

Most probably was. As there's a concrete wall the length of the Piazza splitting the river in two supporting the deck.

Edited by pod

The Glen Cinema is still in that building and can be viewed from the furniture store nearer the Piazza.

The last time I was in that furniture shop you could see into the old cinema. It's a few years back mind you (think it was harvies?) And they had a few panels loose near the top of the stairs and you could look in, only the ceiling, but very ornate from what I remember.