Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

I'll echo what everyone else has said, great thread, Sonny.

The plaque itself says the entrance to the cinema was on Dyers Wynd? And I'm pretty sure it was "Model" (but pronounced the way you've spelled it) - sounds like I need to speak to my mother again.

smile.png

I always thought it was kind of scary looking too. Does anybody know the derivation of modele? Pronounced generally as 'Mowdill'. I always thought it didn't sound like a proper word.

Glad you know what I mean guys. It is hard to research something when you dont even know how it was spelt! Since 'Mowdill' (copyright RickMcD) gets the correct sound I'll use that in this thread so everyone else knows what we are talking about.

I appreciate the plaque says the entrance to the Glen was on Dyer's Wynd but the other entrance looked more like the main one to me. Maybe someone knows someone who is still alive who could tell us?

Class of 76-77 - is your Aunt still alive? Could she tell us?

And back on topic. We started off with Mirren House in Maxwell St and seemed to wander down to Arthur St Mowdill and the Glen Cinema. Anyone know anything about Mirren House?

post-2737-0-01935200-1330361845_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

Anyone know anything about Mirren House?

I found the 2 links below as I don't know about it's history myself.

The 1st link shows a map of the area too.

http://www.cylex-uk....t-17102396.html

http://www.rcatrust.org.uk/

There is another building next to Mirren House,closer to Love St.I think that is where the drug/drink/gambling place is situated.A mate of mine had an office in Mirren House and I don't remember any addicts hanging about.The office where you booked Renfrew Cooncil football pitches was situated in Mirren House

Edited by HSS

And back on topic. We started off with Mirren House in Maxwell St and seemed to wander down to Arthur St Mowdill and the Glen Cinema. Anyone know anything about Mirren House?

Dinardo renamed the building when he acquired it, as he names all his holdings in Paisley "Mirren". Up until 1975 it was the Planning and Engineering Dept of Renfrewshire County Council, when it transferred to Renfrew District Council who sold it to Dinardo. I think it might have been called Sneddon House? The County Buildings (now the Court) were built in 1890 and when the Council's responsibilities were extended in 1929 they needed extra office space but whether it included Mirren House I can't be sure? spudnikconfounded.gif

The JNI Scout Hall was in Arthur St directly across from the modele , I think the modele is the taller building to the right of the shot, it had bars in the windows , quite scary looking. The Scout Hall must just be out of pic to the right ?

The JNI scout Hall was called "The Bield" Both my elder brother (sadly no longer with us) and I were in both the cubs and scouts (7th Paisley) and my father was Group Scout Master before he moved on to become Assistant Diostant Commissioner for Training. For those of you interested the family name is Crawford

Dinardo renamed the building when he acquired it, as he names all his holdings in Paisley "Mirren". Up until 1975 it was the Planning and Engineering Dept of Renfrewshire County Council, when it transferred to Renfrew District Council who sold it to Dinardo. I think it might have been called Sneddon House? The County Buildings (now the Court) were built in 1890 and when the Council's responsibilities were extended in 1929 they needed extra office space but whether it included Mirren House I can't be sure? spudnikconfounded.gif

Thanks Rabuddies. Didn't think we would get any info on that fine building.

I'll give a wee clue to tomorrow's image. This is a fine wee building in its own right but has a greater significance. Where is it?

PICTURE 8 CLUE

post-2737-0-81073900-1331490690_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

I believe there was a whole lot of Irish immigrants who lived on the Inchinnan Rd / behind Ferguslie somewhere in the early 1900's

There was Inkermans and Balaclava and Redan.....named after the battles in the Crimean War. Pretty much miners rows. There was always a lot of niggle between the communities split by the Cart, which eventually led to the Battle of Linwood Bridge. Serious square go with lots of weapons....one chap killed and a few more seriously injured. Inkerman was established in 1858 so might be what you are thinking about. The mine and oil works are now under the A737 / M8.

I'll give a wee clue to tomorrow's image. This is a fine wee building in its own right but has a greater significance. Where is it?

PICTURE 8 CLUE

I think this is the janitors house for the old John neilston school in oakshaw

Edited by Lethal89

Does anybody know the derivation of modele?

It's just model. The early Victorian Labourer's Friend Society set out to improve the lot of the industrial classes (who could afford a rent) as rented lodging housing was pretty appalling. After some failures they formed the Model Dwellings Co. and built a number of "model schemes" in London in the 1840's for families, single men and single women. These "model schemes" were copied throughout Britain but the majority were for the single men who had moved into towns and cities to find work. They were mostly privately run (for profit) by local philanthropists and were a step up from the poorhouse as the lodgers had a degree of independence. They also promoted an allotment of land for working families which became the modern day Council allotments and established friendly societies for banking and insurance. This was a good thing. spudnikconfounded.gif

Spelling!!!

Edited by rabuddies

I always thought it was kind of scary looking too. Does anybody know the derivation of modele? Pronounced generally as 'Mowdill'. I always thought it didn't sound like a proper word.

Model Lodging House. We always called it the the model (to rhyme with yodel)

This might be it here, the 3 storey building lower RHS, not sure though unsure.png

post-1842-0-88863200-1330374140_thumb.jp

This might be it here, the 3 storey building lower RHS, not sure though unsure.png

Yes , that's it. The small building to the left of the tenement facing the model is the JNI Scout Hall !

Thanks a lot mcd54. Not only does the shot show the Model but it also shows somewhere even more significant - the house that I was born in! Thanks again. this is one image I will be printing and framing!

post-2737-0-42079500-1330378959_thumb.jp

There was Inkermans and Balaclava and Redan.....named after the battles in the Crimean War. Pretty much miners rows. There was always a lot of niggle between the communities split by the Cart, which eventually led to the Battle of Linwood Bridge. Serious square go with lots of weapons....one chap killed and a few more seriously injured. Inkerman was established in 1858 so might be what you are thinking about. The mine and oil works are now under the A737 / M8.

Thanks Sid. My Grannie used to stay at The Arches and talked about the Irish folk out by Linwood / Inkerman. One of my grandfathers came over from Ireland and I think they visited obscure relatives or at least were friendly with some of the immigrants out that way.

Edited by Sonny

PICTURE 8 CLUE

Is it the jannies house at the old John Neilston school?

I think this is the janitors house for the old John neilston school in oakshaw

Think you are correct. Spent my "formative years" at the John Neilson

Is it the jannies house at the old John Neilston school?

It is indeed guys. Big pic tomorrow. I am sure there will be plenty of stories around this building :)

Since the clue has led to the identification of the building I'll provide some more information on it but would like to hear of any stories anyone has of it. I had several mates who attended the JNI but have never been in it myself. Hope to correct that in a Paisley Open Doors Day. I have also included a pic of the viewing area that was conditional of the build so that the people of Paisley could enjoy the fine views offered by this elevated site (just dont look down smile.png ).

This is a Category A Listed Building of stunning architecture.

'The John Neilson Educational Institution at Oakshawhead, Paisley, opened to pupils in April 1852. The building was designed by a leading architect of the day, Charles Wilson of Glasgow. His design is modern Renaissance, topped by a magnificent dome. The dome is surrounded by four decorative tripods carrying vases, and its prominent hilltop location means it can be seen for miles around, enhancing Paisley's skyline. It is known affectionately as the "porridge bowl" by locals.

The choice of location created controversy. The land was in use as a bowling green, and was a popular spot with locals who came to admire the view. Eventually the council sold the land with the condition that the right of access to the view was safeguarded by the provision of a viewing spot with seats and a safety rail. This viewing spot is still there today.

John Neilson was a Paisley grocer who died in 1839, aged 61, and was buried in Paisley Abbey. John Neilson's will directed a large portion of his wealth to be used to build a school and to establish a fund to finance the education of boys who would not otherwise be able to afford an education. His nephew, Archibald Gardner,

was one of the executors and he dedicated himself to the task of establishing the school. He and the Trustees decided that the school would not be confined to elementary education, but would go on to advanced work in mathematics and classics.

The interior of the building was designed with a hall and four long rooms, and so the school was organised into four “schools” – Infants, Juniors, Juveniles and Seniors. Later the rooms were subdivided with partitions of wood and glass. The school soon earned a reputation for excellence. In the 1870s, Her Majesty's Inspector for Schools called it an "educational triumph.

The school as an institution moved to a modern building in 1967 to become the John Neilson High School, and the building was last used as a school in 1977. It was listed Category A, in 1 971. The building lay vacant, prone to vandals and rot until taken over by Classical House, the developers of the Italian Centre in Glasgow. Extensive repairs and conversion works were carried out in 1991-92. The classrooms were divided up to form 12 two and three bedroom maisonettes, with bedrooms below and living rooms above, sharing the tall windows.

The Janitor’s House became a one bedroom unit. The great octagonal hall under the circular dome, once the noisy hub of the school, is now merely an entrance hall. However, it has been given just the focus it needs in the form of a central statue.The life-size figure of the Greek philosopher Diogenes (412-323 BC) is by the Paisley sculptor, Alexander Stoddart. In his left hand Diogenes holds an upturned model of the dome above him, referring at once to the building’s nick name of the ‘Porridge Bowl’, and to Diogenes’ austere life style, intended to contrast with that of the modern day residents.

The statue costing £10,000 was ‘commissioned by Classical House as a gift to the residents and the population of Paisley’. It was carried in procession through the town to the JNI on 2nd April 1992.The total cost of the repair work was £1.5 million, and conversion by Lane, Bremner & Garnett, 1991- 92.'

The Janitor's House was the clue for this main building.

PICTURE 8 JNI (and PICTURE 8b : Public Viewing area).

post-2737-0-58455700-1331485303_thumb.jp

post-2737-0-24480800-1331485339_thumb.jp

Edited by Sonny

Thanks a lot mcd54. Not only does the shot show the Model but it also shows somewhere even more significant - the house that I was born in! Thanks again. this is one image I will be printing and framing!

That's a great photograph. I wonder when it was taken and why? It's obviously an aerial shot from I would guess the 50's. I wonder if it was from a series of many parts of the town. Is that Watson's the butcher the same one that had the place on High Street where the buses used to pull in?