Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

That's a great photograph. I wonder when it was taken and why? It's obviously an aerial shot from I would guess the 50's. I wonder if it was from a series of many parts of the town. Is that Watson's the butcher the same one that had the place on High Street where the buses used to pull in?

I wonder if it was taken from the top of Coats Memorial church or possibly the viewing platform of the observatory?

Cheers, sonny. I took a walk around there last visit to Paisley - the retention of that view for Buddies was 'a good idea'.

Your picture of the sale boards (though detracting from your image) piqued my interest.... smile.png

Here's a link to some other pix which could be yours for a reasonable price.

http://www.rightmove...l?premiumA=true

Like you Bluto I checked out the properties for sale after taking the picture. A nice place to live but I would worry about the factor's bills especially if it required a new roof:)

I wonder if it was taken from the top of Coats Memorial church or possibly the viewing platform of the observatory?

From the height and angle insaintee it could only have been taken from a plane (or maybe barrage balloon if it is that old!)

Edited by Sonny

Like you Bluto I checked out the properties for sale after taking the picture. A nice place to live but I would worry about the factor's bills especially if it required a new roof:)

From the height and angle insaintee it could only have been taken from a plane (or maybe barrage balloon if it is that old!)

Why don't you climb up and check it out any way smile.png

Nice video insaintee. Its a better view than I thought it would be.

At about 19secs into the video the camera is pointing in the the direction of Well St and the Gas Works. However the view is obscured by the JNI and the church tower. If you look at the picture in question the angle is far steeper which indicates an almost vertical angle (75-80 degrees or thereabouts) and not the low angle if taken from Coates. The shot is also taken from a greater height in my opinion than Coates could offer. Good video though. Didnt realise the public could access the tower.

At about 19secs into the video the camera is pointing in the the direction of Well St and the Gas Works. However the view is obscured by the JNI and the church tower. If you look at the picture in question the angle is far steeper which indicates an almost vertical angle (75-80 degrees or thereabouts) and not the low angle if taken from Coates. The shot is also taken from a greater height in my opinion than Coates could offer. Good video though. Didnt realise the public could access the tower.

Think we might be at cross purposes I thought we were talking about the photo of the JNIunsure.png

Believe you can access tower on ' Doors Open Days'.

Etc. 2011 and 2009 has shoots from tower of Coates ; http://uk.video.sear...s+Open+Day+2011

Edited by pod

Sorry insaintee, you initially responded to the comment by RickMcD and he was referring to the b&w shot of Arthur St Model taken in the 50's hence the confusion!

Yes the wee shot of the JNI was probably taken from the Coates' tower. Is that your video and can the public get up the tower?

Edited by Sonny

Galbraiths was a big concern was it not i'm sure there shops were all over the place or was it just Piasley.

I seem to remember my brother lived a few houses along from your grandmother on main road Eldirslie ?

Did she sell on to the co-op or something ?

galbraiths was taken over by a company called allied suppliers they had a distribution warehouse on the site of the many car hire firms yards down past the old ground, allied changed the shop names to presto which was bought by safeway which was bought by morrisons, all the wee shops in the schemes closed when changing to presto as it was one of the first supermarkets in the town and "pile it high -sell it cheap" was the new thing Edited by buddiecat

Galbraith's Stores first shop was established in Linwood Village, Paisley in 1894. Within 6 years the company had 12 stores and had expanded to over 59 shops by 1919. To minimise capital outlay the stores (usually located in Tenement Blocks) were rented, designed in a uniform style and had narrow shop frontages. The store network grew rapidly, by 1939 the company had over 159 grocery branches and 12 butchers shops. Along with a "provisions" window, staple items such as tea, sugar and bakery goods were advertised with the emphasis on price. By the time of the sale to Home and Colonial the store network had expanded to over 220 stores and was regarded as the leading independent grocery business in the west of Scotland[1]

Galbraith's Stores first shop was established in Linwood Village, Paisley in 1894. Within 6 years the company had 12 stores and had expanded to over 59 shops by 1919. To minimise capital outlay the stores (usually located in Tenement Blocks) were rented, designed in a uniform style and had narrow shop frontages. The store network grew rapidly, by 1939 the company had over 159 grocery branches and 12 butchers shops. Along with a "provisions" window, staple items such as tea, sugar and bakery goods were advertised with the emphasis on price. By the time of the sale to Home and Colonial the store network had expanded to over 220 stores and was regarded as the leading independent grocery business in the west of Scotland[1]

Wonderful Wikipedia ....Galbraith and Sons was a retailing company based in Paisley, Scotland. The company grew to over 220 stores, establishing their own food production plants to supply their stores. Galbraith's were acquired in 1954 by Home and Colonial, becoming part of the Allied Suppliers Group. Galbraith's survived as one of the Scottish trading names for Allied Suppliers until 1987, when it disappeared as part of the Argyll Supermarkets re-branding to Safeway Stores.The company was formed as Galbraith and Sons Limited (in 1894), the name was later changed to Galbraith's Stores Limited and survived as a trading subsidiary of Argyll Supermarkets (along with R&J Templeton) until 1987[2]

I was nearly right

galbraiths was taken over by a company called allied suppliers they had a distribution warehouse on the site of the many car hire firms yards down past the old ground, allied changed the shop names to presto which was bought by safeway which was bought by morrisons, all the wee shops in the schemes closed when changing to presto as it was one of the first supermarkets in the town and "pile it high -sell it cheap" was the new thing

Yep , thats right it was on the site now occupied by LHS garden machinery & also the site next door ( the old loading bays for the fleet of Albion trucks are still in use .). Thats where the Cheese, eggs & potatoes were packed & shipped throughout the west of Scotland. My late dad & Uncle ,Both lifelong Buddies, worked there till it shut down. They also had the place across the road as a Garage ,(Now John baillie carpets)

Wonderful Wikipedia ....Galbraith and Sons was a retailing company based in Paisley, Scotland. The company grew to over 220 stores, establishing their own food production plants to supply their stores. Galbraith's were acquired in 1954 by Home and Colonial, becoming part of the Allied Suppliers Group. Galbraith's survived as one of the Scottish trading names for Allied Suppliers until 1987, when it disappeared as part of the Argyll Supermarkets re-branding to Safeway Stores.The company was formed as Galbraith and Sons Limited (in 1894), the name was later changed to Galbraith's Stores Limited and survived as a trading subsidiary of Argyll Supermarkets (along with R&J Templeton) until 1987[2]

I was nearly right

They also acquired some Cochrane shops which traded as Galbraith -Cochrane in south side of Glasgow & rutherglen

Yep , thats right it was on the site now occupied by LHS garden machinery & also the site next door ( the old loading bays for the fleet of Albion trucks are still in use .). Thats where the Cheese, eggs & potatoes were packed & shipped throughout the west of Scotland. My late dad & Uncle ,Both lifelong Buddies, worked there till it shut down. They also had the place across the road as a Garage ,(Now John baillie carpets)

correct there but the warehouse i'm talking about was down past love street ground, it might have been allied suppliers who opened it under their own name though, they - galbraiths marketed their own jam, it's all on wiki

They also acquired some Cochrane shops which traded as Galbraith -Cochrane in south side of Glasgow & rutherglen

Cochrane Galbraith was the original name for Arnott's in Paisley. Also there was(is?) a jewellers at the abbey called Gilhooley's and I a new a girl called Gillian Gilhooley.

Cochrane Galbraith was the original name for Arnott's in Paisley. Also there was(is?) a jewellers at the abbey called Gilhooley's and I a new a girl called Gillian Gilhooley.

nearly but not quite right, arnotts was just cochranes (a house of fraser company) and the jewellers was gillougleys' Edited by buddiecat

Gilloughley the jeweller. The son , Chic Gilloughley , went to St Mirins and was a friend of mine !

Robert Cochrane & Son Department Store,before it became Arnott,s(which belong to House of Fraser).

From Evening Times

The media consultant and former Paisley journalist recalls: “I remember the department store when it was called Robert Cochran and Son, before Arnotts took over in the early Seventies.

“Arnotts as we know it now was not only an iconic building in Paisley, it was an iconic shop where you could get almost anything you needed. And it seemed there was always a shop assistant within touching distance to ask if you needed help, no matter where you were in the store. I always reckoned the Arnotts tearoom on the top floor had the best view in Paisley from any café or restaurant in the town.

Macdonald recalls: “Get yourself a window seat and you could enjoy the vista of Paisley Abbey and it’s grounds along with the fine architecture of Paisley Town Hall.”

The store had been owned by the House of Fraser retail chain. But the group struggled with multi-million pound debts from 1996 and at the turn of the millenium decided an Edinburgh developer’s offer of £2.1m was too good to turn down.

Edited by pod

Gilloughley the jeweller. The son , Chic Gilloughley , went to St Mirins and was a friend of mine !

beg to differ billy, chic gilloughley (we arrogant ginger cnut) was at st mirins and was also at st peters glenburn , a very common myth was that he was connected to the jewellry store owner one he would not deny himself but the jewellers was spelt gillougley - no H, and the wee ginger one and his tall also ginger brother lived in council housing iirc and although not paupers like my lot , they were not that rich, and i did quite often question him and his brother angus on the spelling difference, but was ignored Edited by buddiecat